Thread: 1st post... plasma booster how to

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1st post... plasma booster how to

My first post...

I'll actually contribute something...

First off, don't really notice any difference. It will take a dyno or the 1/4 to find out if it really did do anything.

Based on the ideas of AZBLACKMONSOON on Nloc, I finally figured out the easiest way to do this so I thought I would expand a little. Thanks AZ!:

1) unbolt the front top bracket (2 8mm bolts) with the 2 large brick connectors coming from the ECU

2) unscrew the 10mm end nut from the lower brick and seperate. Pop top brick apart.

3) start on the passenger REAR as this is the hardest and it gets easier from there. pop the clip on the coil off. The LEFT wire is the return. Refer to plasma booster instructions to make sure you have the right wires!!!. Stick a small paperclip in the wire and alligator clamp one side of a continuity tester ($2.99 at sears hardware) to the paperclip and start checking wires at the bricks. Mine is an 02 and there are 4 from the top brick and 4 from the big bottom one. His was a 99 and he thought there were 3 in the top and 5 in the bottom, but was not 100% sure if I remember right.

4) once you begin to identify them, snap the t-taps into the wire. For the upper brick, you will have to cut the wire loom back a little. Soon you will have all 8...

5) ground it, reconnect the bricks and test it. If all 8 LEDs light up as you turn the ignition to on (don't start), you are good. If not, go back and check your work. NOW reattach the bracket, tape up all the wires, and tidy up.

I still haven't quite figured how to mount it since there are no holes or anything so you are on your own there...

Good Luck,

Ken

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ken, is this not the same thing as say an MSD box?

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, not the same as the MSD box. Here's a tech link to an article describing it.

I'd say that the only thing that I might comment on is maybe the truck runs "smoother" after the install, but that could be my brain telling me that to justify the $$$... lol

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/100202.html

ken

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My understanding is that the stock coil on plug system for our trucks is plenty powerful enough in terms of spark.

Again, all of this is my understanding and could be wrong, so someone feel free to correct me.

The idea of the plasma booster is to speed up the actual time it takes to create a single spark. During the duration of the single spark that happens on the OEM system, the plasma supposedly can set off multiple sparks therby giving the chance to still ignite, even if the flame kernal was blown out on the first strike. I think it manages to fire off 10 or so sparks...

Whether or not it really generates measurable horsepower is questionable, and difficult to measure since slight temp differences in the supercharger cooling fluid, water temp, or any of the other variables could contribute 5 or more HP diff...

so, I'll dyno, but even if it shows a gain, how will I prove it?

I'll do my best to create a back to back with identical variables and let you guys know. It's going to take me about a week to get it done.

Also, theortically speaking, it should make for better gas mileage if it is doing what it claims. That's easy to measure since I keep track of my mileage. It takes 2+ mpg to pay for itself over quite a long period, so I wouldn't buy it for that reason. However, if I pick up 1mpg, it tells me I AM getting a more efficient, more complete burn and therefore I AM getting more power, even if a tiny amount...

Ken

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So something like this would really prevent misfires, and not necessarily a hotter spark.