Thread: 2001 owners, need your help

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2001 owners, need your help

Would one of you 2001 owners please look in your owner's manual and advise what is the rated tow capacity?

Please please please!!!! Thanks in advance.

BLWN HOG
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Off topic:
    Kirkoman, I was beeping at you by S-680 this morning on your left side, did you see me?
    Good looking truck, and very nice lid too!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    not sure if it'll say in the manual for a 01HD, because the manuals are just for standard F-150 supercrews in 01. The HD's can't tow as much because of the tires or soemthing like that, and the manual doesn't account for that.
    still good info to find out

Nicky Extreme
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You might be able to find that info on the driver side door jam on the info sticker. Once again I am not sure if that is the info for the hd or a standard f150
    NHTOC #9

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i do believe the door jamb sticker is for the HD's, cuz the tire pressure and size are on there for the HD 20's i believe, but not totally sure, i'll have to check.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Kirkoman,
    Don't know about '01 but my '02 owner manual has max GCWR at 10K lbs with max trailer weight at 4.5K lbs. That's for what is listed as "5.4L Supercharged".

Wow! ... just got back from week skiing in BC, Canada! Thought I better get on over here! ... FIRST POST!!
    aka LeeRandall - NHTOC #25

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Chesterc. Sorry but I didn't hear any beeps. Had KFOG blasting as usual!

Harley#356, I thought it was tires too but, the Good Year tires on my 02 are rated to about 2200lbs each. I can't recall the exact numbers on the tire but when I researched this subject a while back I recall the tires on a std SCREW where about the same.

Here is the deal: A 02HD is rated to tow 4500lbs and a std 02 SCREW with a 5.4 auto and 3.73 rearend is rated to tow 8600lbs.

From a towing capacity stand point the two trucks are essentialy the same with the obvious exception of wheels/tires and the supercharger.

01HD is the same as and 02 std SCREW with the exception of wheels/tires and drive shaft. An 01 is one piece and the 02 two piece. So, the rated tow capacity of a 01HD will tell us the reduced tow capacity of a 02HD is because of the wheels/tires or as I suspect it's because of the supercharged engine witch has a much higher potenial for detonation due to the added boost.

BTW my owners manual covers all 02 F-150s except Ls. I assume they get a special manual. I would assume the 01 manuals would be the same soooooo;

Would somebody please please just check your 01 owners manual so I can put this issue to rest???????

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Kiroman,

Just talked to my service guy to make an appointment to get my truck in for service. Asked him to look up towing specs for an '01. He said factory lists '01 H-D at 7,700 max GCWR and 3,150 max trailer weight.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Now my head hurts. Thanks for the post 02HD#677 but I gota tell ya if what he said is true, i'm even more confused.

An 02HD is GVWR 10000lbs and 4500lbs max tow.
    An 01HD is GVWR 7700lbs and 3150lbs max tow. WTF????

Maybe it is wheels but if so why would an 02 be higher?

Hello Houston....................come in please.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Spankdog from the F150online Lightning board says the max trailer wieght for a L is 5000lbs. A standard cab with a 5.4 and 3.73 is rated to 8800lbs.

I think I found the answer. I guess I'm going to have to buy something else to tow one of those dual axle Toy Haulers. Hmmm Since I need a tow vehicle anyway maybe one of those Ford V10 Fun Mover motorhomes. Yeah that's it!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I went and got my manual and looked it up. It's on page 169 of the owners manual for the HD150.

For the 01 HD-150 the GCWR is 10000 lbs and max trailer weight is 4000 lbs.
    RickC

BellTech 2" shackles
    Tinted front windows
    Windows shades
    2002 stripes
    Bedrug Liner
    Gaylords SpeedStur lid

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks RickC. That suggests to me that the reason for the lower tow rating is indeed due to the wheel/tire and suspension differences and not the supercharged engine. Again Thanks. That puts a stake in the ground.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yep, my book has the listings for every Ford truck. I only posted the Harley info since that was what was needed. My guess would be the low profile tires can't handle the weight. I would not think engine or tranny or suspension would be a problem.