Thread: Chip voiding warranty question

Formerly "mlelsafe"
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Chip voiding warranty question

I am considering a # 4 or #6 pulley and chip for my 03 daily driver but am concerned about all of the horror stories I keep hearing about voided warranties. I'm curious, I just took my truck in for a mis-fire and they found a bad coil pack and fouled plug (11,000 miles). During their troubleshooting, is there any possibility they may have connected diagnostic equipment to the same port that the chip connects to? The reason I ask is that A: if my engine should go South, could they claim I had a chip because of their marks left when servicing the vehicle, or B: Could I argue that they were the ones who connected equipment to the computer, not a me with a chip? Not really trying to scam, just curious what issues may arise if I decide on some light mods.

Funny thing was I had a 1990 T-Bird SC that I installed a chip and 5lb overboost pulley on. I ignorantly took it to the dealer many times (SC's need lots of TLC to keep running) and they never said anything. I even cooked the overdrive band pushing it over 100 for a 3 hour road trip and no problem even getting it done 5K past the drivetrain warranty! I didn't bother taking it in when the head gaskets went at 64K since it was way out of warranty, I guess that would have been the test! Aah, the good ole' days!;f
    Mike

It's me!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I believe where they connect and where the chip goes is 2 different places, i think they connect to the diagnostic port under the drivers side dash and the chip goes onto the computer on the lower passenger side kick panel.

Got Drag Radials, Finally
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would go with a programmer, no chance of them finding that unless you left it on the seat. Depends on the dealer whether you will get voided because of the chip.

2004 Red Lightning Born: 3/16/04
    Build # 2547 out of 3,781
    390HP/475TQ-Torrie tuned...
    1.926, 12.88 @ 107.27
    Photo Gallery, click here...

2002 Blk HD #7073--> Sold

BLOWN FD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The computer diagnostic port is what they use, they don't use the computer board. If you use a chip it will void your warranty because the chip plugs on the computer board and the computer board has a clear plastic like coating that needs to be scraped off. Some performance shops say they can respray the coating on the board but it wont look right and Ford looks hard. The only way I know of getting away with it is to buy an extra computer board.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A chip leaves a code in the ecu that a delaer can easily find. He does not need to look at your ecu to pull the code, simply plug his equipment into the port and the code will tell him a chip has been used. I am a Dealer for Superchips, DiabloSport and about 50 other companies I now tell ALL customers that their warranty can be comprimised by modding the truck. I fought with Ford for 2 months before they decided to fix my truck, the engine blew at 5400 miles. After all the fighting, we found that the main bolts were not tightened at the factory and 2 main bolts fell out and a third was about half out. Ford paid dearly, but, I was without a truck for 3 months. I am not the only one, a kid in Texas called me about a year ago with the exact same problem, a blown engine and Ford told him, "warranty denied, tampering with PCM"
    DT
    MSN Messenger name SNKBITU

Danny aka Cajun -- " STOCK" Harley Number 8327...Did I say "STOCK"