Thread: !st Time Changing Spark Plugs!!

481/555 right now :-)
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry !st Time Changing Spark Plugs!!

I've got an 02 with 9500 miles and a NOS system. It's a wet system with a 75 shot. The only time I tried it at the track the engine started bucking for a lack of better terms. It all happened so fast. I let off the gas and the engine shut down until I turned the chip off of the NOS program and restarted. I called REM who did the prgramming and his first suggestion was to check the plugs. I decided to change them out. REM suggested TR6 with a gap around 30-35. They said they change them out all the time without removing any fuel rails. I have lot of tools, so sat. morning I started on the pass. side. Being the first time I was a little nervous of the process. The pass side took me a little over an hour. The driv side took me almost 3 hours. Most of that was on the back two. Here is what I found and what I used to do the job. Maybe someone can enlighten me on an easier method. The coils are 7mm and the plugs are 5/8". Make sure your spark plug socket has good rubber to hold the old and new plugs. I also disconnected the injector connectors to gain more access. The plugs I removed were TR6.
    P-1, gap was .043, coil-used 1/4" drive with a 3" ext, plug-3/8" drive, 9" ext
    P-2, .045, plug-3" ext, univ, 6"ext
    P-3, .043, plug- 6"ext, univ, 9"ext
    P-4, .043, coil-univ, 7"ext, plug-2"ext, univ, 15" ext
    D-1, .043, coil-12" ext, plug-6"ext
    Removed the PS resevoir
    D-2, .044, plug-3" ext, univ, 15" ext
    D-3, .043, plug- 6" ext, univ, 15" ext. There was a piece of plastic wiring bracket in the plug hole. Prbably took 40 min to get out.
    D-4, .048, coil- univ, 3" ext, univ, 16"ext. Couldn't even touch the coil bolt. Had to use a magnet to remove it. Plug-univ, 15" ext. To put the coil bolt back in I had to put stickum type stuff in the socket to hold the bolt to get it back in the hole in the coil. Unless there is an easier way, the changing of those two rear plugs on the driv side is a real nightmare.
    How were those used plug gaps? The burn color looked good but the V notch was worn away somewhat. I tried the NOS for a short period, 4-5 sec. Haven't tried it for a 1/4 mile yet.

2002, #00722, Two-tone paint, Built Engine, SCT X3, Fram Cold Air Intake, Ported TB, Ported Plenum, Magnaflow, OBX Longtubes, Electric exhaust cut-outs, 8#Lower, Magna Powers blower, Oil Seperator, Lightning Valence, Tail lights, Brake Light, Orange LED frame lights. Optima Yellowtop, Chickenears billet under the hood, Bedrug, ARE Bed Lid, Reflexxions Cowl Induction Hood, Kenwood DVD/TV/CD Touchscreen, 481 RWHP, 555 Torque

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    took me over 6 hours to do mine... If I had to do it again, I'd remove the blower first.

Outta Sight...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wonder what ford was thinkin with this design it just shouldnt be this hard to change plugs

BLOWN FD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You guys are lame. It only took me 1 1/2 Hr to do mine. You guys suck..... O Ya did I mention I had a pro change them for me so I guess it took him 1 1/2 Hr to do. My bad

Boost Addict
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah, but how much did you spend?

BLOWN FD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Too much

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    mine would have only taken me 1 1/2 hours my first time EXCEPT, when I got to the plug on the drivers side back plug when assembled at ford a self tapping screw had been wedged between the porcelin and the cyl wall, Broke the porcelin off pried the screw for hours trying to be able to get the scoket down their. Tried to trun the screw. At the end that one plug took me 4 hours just to get the screw out.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK, vegas. Share with us your method to get this done in that short of time. I couldn't even get more than one finger to touch that back coil bolt.

Darkroller, it probably would be good to take the blower off once in a while and clean things up. Is there a thread covering this?

Indestructible!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Plugs are easy!!!

5/8 Double swivel sprk plug socket
    6" locking extention
    1/4 ratchet
    7mm socket

Takes me maybe 30 mins for the passenger
    maybe 40-50 for the driverside

I have only done it twice, but I'm gonna do it again this weekend. :bg:

Around When I Can...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybe take a look at this thread:
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...n+supercharger

Hope that helps.

Trowling
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I almost feel sorry for you guys. Takes me 30min for all 8, if I take my time.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by BenKey
    I almost feel sorry for you guys. Takes me 30min for all 8, if I take my time.
    Not funny BEn

On a more serious note.

It really does not take to long providing you have an assorment of tools. Thats where my well stocked toolbox of extensions, swivels, magents, breaker bars..(1/4 inch) and anything els eyou can think of.
    I have extensions ranging from 1/2 inch 1/4 drive to 24 inch 1/2 inch drive. But thats hwat it takes to get these plugs off. A good wide variety of tools.

NOt your typicl 6 inch extension 5/8 soccket and a 3/8 ratchet and your their.

2005 Ford F250 Diesel, lariat

8" Fabtech lift
    38" Toyos
    Amercian Racing 20x10 wheels
    Nfab steps

Biker
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by 2002BlacknBlue
    OK, vegas. Share with us your method to get this done in that short of time. I couldn't even get more than one finger to touch that back coil bolt.

Darkroller, it probably would be good to take the blower off once in a while and clean things up. Is there a thread covering this?
    Here's a pretty good thread on cleaning the intercooler...

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

Change the plugs while you have the blower off......a piece of cake.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    plugs take me an hour and 15 minutes. No need to remove ANYTHING. Just hit them from the right angles, use plenty of extensions, and have a magnetic pick up tool.

I reccomend you all goout any buy a 7mm swivel socket for the coil pack bolts. It is a savior.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You are very right in that respect. I'll probably be going to Sears soon to get one. That was my thought exactly when I was doing the third one back on the drivers side.