Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Info on Boost By-Passes for all to digest

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Chet... my mistake... looking at it & the one on the Magnuson unit they both appear totally vacuum...

4cfed.... all I can say is that with the frequency the same 4-5-6 mod topics pop up, the point of this forum IS to help each other out & cut through the muck & BS... Everybody's driving style is different, everybody's use of their truck is different. My point is simply that the vast majority of the mods everyone is jumping with both feet on are race only mods.

your comments here are EXACTLY my point:

"i agree with your points on the boost bypass, which is why i havent installed it, but as far as other mods, most of us want to be able to run low 13s at the track if we take it, not 10s like jlp and jdm with the Ls. i think most of the members here have realistic expectations of what they want the truck to do, and also what it can do. think about it - honestly, i think only a handful of hd owners actually have a built motor in their truck, and compared the # of L guys that do, i think it shows that we want to drive our trucks everyday, not on weekends, take the fam out to dinner and a movie, and dust some young dumbass in a import or even a stang or camaro on the way home. thats it. we have more pride in our ownership than 95% of the other clubs that you can find online - a tight relationship with each other. hell, guys are even paying attention to my career and posting it on here. "

the point being that the mod's I listed are the little "final" additions to built engines not basic mods for bolt on trucks.

Call me the "over helper" or the "looking out for everyone" guy...
    I get PM's daily from all sorts of people about mod suggestions & they are asking questions based on totally BS rumors, marketing hype, & just plain bad info from supposed "experts. "

I am hardly "picking ouot a few bad examples of things gone wrong"..... at last count 80% of the recently Vented blocks on our forum have 4 of the same mods from the same 3 vendors, maybe there is a correlation?

You got a dyno tune for basic mods in one shot? WHOOOORAY! congrats.... read through the chips/electronic sections here & on the NLOC, you my friend are the complete exception to the rule. Unless you buy a complete package from one vendor including the chip, ain't normally happening.

I like to think that there are better ways to spend money on effective mods, as opposed to doin what everyone else is & wasting money for minimal gains.

Rob W.

Supporting Vendor
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Check out my oil separator.
    L&S auto in the vendors forum.
    The first run of filters has been a success with very minimal problems that were corrected easily.
    Basically as said, its hard to predict everyones needs.
    Different boost levels, engine blow-by, driving habits, climates etc.
    It works, Its lifetime.
    I'm not here just to take your money.
    The profit in this venture is very minimal.
    Started as a shop owner, with the same oil problems, and wanted a fix without having to dump the canisters every other day.
    Vince
    Feel free to ask any questions as I have done lots of testing with these H.D.'s.
    Click HERE to Visit L&S Automotive Website
    L&S Automotive Oil Separator kits
    SCT tuner & performance transmissions
    02 DSG H.D.
    12.99 @104.50
    Weighed in @ 5440 lbs.

Supporting Vendor
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    FWIW,
    I know my filter is expensive and not for everyone, but I could easily dump my original separator every day.
    This was annoying. I wanted maintenance free, and this is what you will get.
    IM running ~14 psi. and I drive it very hard.
    Just got tired of the smoking on start up, and got tired of emptying the canister every other day.
    Once they fill up to a certain level they stop working and allow oil to pass on through.
    I agree with the stock air box mod.
    I Have the stock exhaust manifolds
    I removed the cats and am using the stock muffler.
    I run the boost bypass. I feel you need this on a daily basis.
    It does serve a purpose for torque reduction on WOT shifts, and those HARD decels.
    AT the track I just disconnect it for the little extra that it will give you on your E.T's.
    What else????
    Vince

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    2002; Your post sounds very pesimistic. Are you suggesting that these mods will lead to a vented block?
    Bypassing the boost-bypass
    Throttle body on a non-built engine
    Long tubes on a street truck
    Oil Seperator (snake oil creator??)
    Any air system that pulls air from under the hood
    Tuning a chip/programmer via mail order ??

I guess except for a bad tune of the last one the rest are not that risky. My opinion is very close to 4CFED one. And I do try to take my truck to the track monthly and I do find a lot of oil in my separator ;)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Waste of money and useless mods....Outside of giggle gas show me how you can spend $5-600 on a Predator and 6lb lower pulley and draw more then the extra 60 HP this combo produces. By the way is the most popular mod on here and most recommended. I'll bet you'll find a bunch of posts saying lay off CAI unless you exceed 450 HP and go all out. I say slap a K&N panel. I would like for you to tell us the mods that you feel will not produce. An oil seperatodfor $50 is a good investment. PM me you addy and I'll send you some pics of the oil in the IC. Bypass is a couple bucks worthless or not. LT's will produce on any combo with these motors. I'll bet anything on that. A catback may not but couple it with headers and bang, your breathing a heck of a lot better. Then the CAI might come into play. I feel there is a lot of good info on here. I respect you three but by no means are you the only ones in the know. What is it your doing so cutting edge

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ok..

Im not sure how my point has gotten so far off track. My intent is only to get people to THINK about where they are spending their money based on how they use the truck.

My list is my opinion. Based on the research I have done here & on other forums & other places, I think the mods in that list are maybe not realistic or maybe unnecessary for a street truck. I've got another 50K miles before my warranty is over to decide for myself what are or are not logical mods.

MBO, your comment "what are you doing that's so cutting edge"... I never claimed to be making ANY additional power or having any magic solutions. All I did was try to raise a little rational thinking as opposed to the blind Cattle following cattle method of buying parts. There area lot of parts out there claiming XX gain that can only make that claim stick in a full race application in conjunction with a bunch of other parts.

HD4 no I didn't say or imply that my list lead to a vented block. I said that there is a consistency, for anyone who wants to take the time to read through the vented block horror stories, just on this forum, no counting the NLOC & other forums. Boost bypass & chip tuning are at the top of the list.

I think the question was asked what mods do I think are worth it?

6# lower for sure.

Predator or chip tuned in person with A/F print out.

Efan wont make any tangible power but lowered my trucks temps significantly

FTVB.. my personal fav mod so far. Along with the deep 4x4 pan

K&N Panel in a Modified OEM Box

From there its moving into the situation Ken800 is facing:

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...threadid=10763

After a certain level of bolt on parts, its build it or nickel & dime yourself for minimal gains & then risk the vented block syndrome.

I knew I would get some strong responses, I didn't expect to offend so many who had invested in the mods I have trouble with... Sorry if I pushed buttons.....

Rob W.

**** starter
    Name: Jon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i agree to a certain extent - but its not mods that people should me concerned about - its the after effects. people need to realize that in all honesty you cannot drive a 500+ hp car, let alone a truck, everyday and not have drivability issues. i believe that the magic # for our trucks lies somewhere between 400 and 450 at the wheels, and after that, you are going to encounter some kind of issue, whether it is a result of tuning issues, bad components, or any other combo or scenerio. ken800 and outnumbered realized this maybe a little too late, finding that their caliber of truck takes a lot of time and money to keep up, as has wildhog, thnktwce, and a few others. however, these people knew that these kinds of numbers were not possible on the stock motor and have ventured out to the built motor world and have had to deal with some bad vendors and circumstances.

however, most people that venture into this kind of threshhold usually know what they are doing, and can afford to do so. I, however, do not agree that the mods that we put on our trucks are "race only mods". sure, every now and then, most of us are going to 'race' the guy next to us at the light. some are going to go to the track, bolt on the slicks, and run (these are the people that know what they are getting into due to the info they had already and also gained on this board. on the other hand, there are a lot of us that just want to look good, sound good, and occaisionally surprise the guy with his hot *** chick sitting in their ride at the light with that pathetic little smirck on his face. at least i know i do!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    4cfed (jon? right?), thanks for the post... well said... you hit the core of my point very well in a totally different way of saying it..

I don't feel so bad now... LOL

Rob W.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rob I'm cool with you I just wanted to question what you wrote. That is why this forum rocks. I have been a Ford guy for a long time and know what makes a good strong reliable build up. I look at all aspects of a vehicle. When you build up you have to consider the effects to the drive train the suspension and all components in the engine compartment. I agree that some of us follow blindly. Most of those people are trusting what they are told is fact. This is why I sometimes wonder myself about certain advice that is spewed out as logical. I have no heat with your comments I was wondering with what you say how you were addressing your build up and what you felt. I'm a sponge. I listen to all and filter accordingly. I advise each member to do this. That is how an educated opinion is formed. IMO

PS- I think 4-450 keeps you in a streetable range that allows good performance and dependabilty

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I have to kind of agrr with 4CFED again. I have a 6# pulley on top of your ok list and I don't think this is a Sunday driver because of that. Well if it is wet you need to be carefull with traction but it is not something out of the extraordinary. I think you can build a low 13s truck and still be completely driveable. Try that with a Honda. Now if you get into the 12-11 then I think that is getting closer to a race car in our cases (a 12s Z06 is driveable because it is built into it).
    Now in terms of beleiving all things said in a forum about mods I agree with you. I have been in car forums for over 6 years. I learned that you need to read and read and track a tally of + & - on mods, vendors and members in terms of knowledge. Like in Ebay iff a mod/vendor has 99% +s then risk is very low. ;)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very good read gents. I have been batting around the idea of the next group of mods. Thanks to you guy's ...more batting practice. Keep it up..
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Supercharged '01
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rob, have your opinions of a built motor changed any since you started this thread? I notice that you are looking into the built DOHC 5.4 which sparked interest from me. Are you looking for reasonable hp in the 400-450 range with this engine, or are you looking into going all out now? I often think of upgrading to a built engine, but threads like these that remind me of Outnumber and Ken800's situation always makes me think twice. <-- LOL!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I read this being it came back up to the top, and I have some of those "top 5 mods" if not all of them.....

We can scratch the Oil Seperator off at this point because lets face it (as said numerous times) it keeps the oil from building up places it wasnt designed to go.

TB's

Yea, they really don't do much for a non built engine. But they look great, and the throttle response is a little better then stock. Yes I have one.

Long tubes

Throughout the history of man-kind, he has slapped a full exhaust system on his ride. This includes.....long tubes. I am not different. I never really thought of doing it, Aryton kinda threw an opportunity in my lap and I went with it. lol

Bypass

Not even gonna bother to install one, as proven by this article...and by the amount of non tuned/non built vented engines ive seen first hand..

Intake

Again, like the long tubes just one of those things.

Chip/Tuner

Fortunately I live in driving distance from 2 of the most prominant tuners in my area. JDM and PSP (PSP is a mere 30 minutes)

If I decide to get tuned (and I do due to the amount of mods) I want to remain in a safe area and may not even install a pulley.

I can go on and on. I dont race, I have not been to the track. I just like to be able to have a bit more performance then stock offered. I dont even drive the truck everyday, its more of a weekend thing then anything.

I am not looking for miracles, I just enjoy working on these beautiful trucks. Folklore or Rumor, mods are mods.....waste of time and money or not.

Yeah... I drive fast.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hoooraaaaaah... These types of threads ROCK

It is threads like this that HELP, not hurt enthusiasts. I'll throw a couple of additions to the list after offering up my nickel on the mods presented.

Boost Bypass - totally unnecessary on a daily driver. I have one but it was left over from the Lightning de-modding BUT can live without it. Glad I didn't shell out $15 for a $2 part.

Throttle body on a non-built engine - Not really necessary but there is a bit of increase in throttle response. Would I buy one new? Absolutely not. $250 for a used FRPP TB. Not exactly cheap but beats the snot out of $400+ for essentially NOTHING.

Long tubes on a street truck - too much $$ for a loud azz exhaust and loss of low end torque. Not my cup
    o java.

Oil Seperator (snake oil creator??) Jury is still out on that one in this camp. I made my own and don't mind emptying it. Removal of the blower and inspecting the intercooler for residue will aid in final judgement.

Any air system that pulls air from under the hood - I'm with Ken800 on this one. Yes, it pulls hot air when you're stopped but so does the stock box. A fresh air supply is beneficial at lowering the temps quicker than without. A totally open filter with no fresh air supply, no way Jorge.

Tuning a chip/programmer via mail order- been there done that, still have them all in a drawer in the garage and a virgin PCM.

---additions to the fray--- (I'll comment in detail later)

Breather caps (on either side of the engine)
    Progressive rate springs (Eibach)
    "Cobra R" water pump vs. Stocker
    Caged aftermarket pulley
    E-Fan
    Phenolic spacer
    Traction bars

In no way, shape, or form is this implying those that have or are considering these modifications are wrong. Debating/discussing these items help us to learn and achieve our individual goals for our respective trucks without vendor spin (no pun intended).

Bob

Vader
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by cpharley
    Rob, have your opinions of a built motor changed any since you started this thread? I notice that you are looking into the built DOHC 5.4 which sparked interest from me. Are you looking for reasonable hp in the 400-450 range with this engine, or are you looking into going all out now? I often think of upgrading to a built engine, but threads like these that remind me of Outnumber and Ken800's situation always makes me think twice. <-- LOL!
    Hi Guys! I thought I should chime in here and clear some things up. Yes, I had some issues when I initially got the truck back--primarily cutting off--8 times to be exact when I was driving it back from FL. We diagnosed everything under the sun to fix it. We removed the elaborate fuel system, changed chips, coilpacks and plugs. In the end, it was bad 02 sensors and a weak/broken valvespring.

However, the motor now runs flawlessly in Jakes truck. You have to understand that this is a 19 year old kid that beats the **** out of the truck and it continues to run perfect. The ONLY thing he has had to replace were the collector gaskets for the headers.

There were several reasons that I got rid of the truck, reliability was not one of them. I knew the truck could run even better, and I was just tired of messing with it--there was always something more to do.

So I hope this clears the air on built motors, or at least on mine. If you have anymore questions, I'm sure Jake will chime in and give his 2 cents.

Ron;w

SOLD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast