Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Interesting Info on Boost By-Passes for all to digest

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I installed the boost by-pass after looking at the article on the website for RPM Outlet..

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/boost%20bypass.htm

It states..

What is a boost bypass valve?

The bypass valve is integrated in the supercharging system. When low engine power is required, the bypass allows air to enter the engine without passing through the supercharger. The supercharger bypass valve operates in the following manner:
    Under normal engine operating condition vacuum is supplied to the bypass valve. The valve opens, diverting excess airflow back into the air plenum. This prevents the supercharger form “cavitating.”

o Cavitating causes reduced performance, increased temperature, and poor fuel economy.

o At high engine demands, vacuum is removed from the bypass valve causing it to close. This directs all airflow from the supercharger to the intake manifold.

o The supercharger boost (SCB) solenoid is used to control intake manifold vacuum to the vacuum bypass actuator. The PCM transmits an output signal to the SCB solenoid, which activates the solenoid to apply stored vacuum from the reservoir to the actuator, when the engine is under maximum boost, reducing the boost pressure by up to 3 PSI.

Purpose of a boost bypass kit

The purpose of a boost bypass kit is to supply continuous boost from your supercharger when exceeding acceleration limits set by the factory. When acceleration exceeds factory limits, the boost actuator solenoid actuates the boost dump valve, relieving the superchargers pressure until the truck is shut down and restarted. With the boost bypass modification, you will now be able to keep your boost at the maximum level when under WOT usage. The term “boost bypass” is a bit misleading by all those dealers advertising this kit for a price. Its true name should be, WOT bypass eliminator kit . . . This modification does not effect normal engine operation and is designed for modifying boost bypass at WOT only. (WOT= wide open throttle)
    Is the general opinion that this mod is useless on a street truck? Furthermore is it consider dangerous to the engine?

I just want clarification from the folks with more experience here.

-Del

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    absolutley, positively useless & dangerous in my opinion.

the core statement on the boost bypass is simple: if every forced induction kit over 6lbs out there has one from the aftermarket, then why in God's green earth would you remove it as you approach 12psi on the eaton?

All I can say additionally is I continue to watch the growing # of vented blocks & they all have the same core mods: Chips/aggressive tune & boost bypass are the 2 common threads.

NO I did NOT say that is why they vented, I have no clue why they vented, but its awefully coincidental that nearly every one I have read about had both mods & were at some point mail order tuned, near as I can tell.

As for my 5.4 DOHC, I am thinking more like 450-500. I am just a cronic "trinkerer" & like the idea of trying the eaton (ported of course) if there is a reasonable way to find an lower intake/intercooler. Otherwise. KB here I come...

Oh & the KB has a by-pass too. :-)

Rob W.

GetBusyLivinOrGetBusyDyin
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Originally posted by 2002GreyHD150

Oh & the KB has a by-pass too. :-)

Rob W.
    This was the reason I took my by-pass kit off. When I got the KB and saw it had a dump as well, I said "you know, there is a good reason it's there and I'm not the one to decide it's not needed."

BTW, do the KB Rob, you will love it!!
    Justin

NHTOC#157 / 03 2-tone #9101
    444 RWHP / 527 Ft-lbs TQ SAE

Name: Randell

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    thanks guys! these kinds of threads are great for new owners like me wanting to see the pros and cons of all the mods around.
    Randell Kelly
    Black 2003
    http://www.kellymanor.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3