Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Josh's Zaino Tips

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Zaino ?

Josh does a person have to let the Zaino set dry for 30min without the accelerator? Also can a person use a lightly damp micro cloth to make it a bit easier to take off and buff? I guess im asking if it really matters and will it affect the quality of the wax job if done this way?

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    If you aren't using ZFX, and you aren't using Z1, or whatever the base coat is you're supposed to use under Z2/Z5 if you're not using ZFX, then you should let it sit for hours. I don't know what exactly its going to do if you do wipe it off sooner, but I'm assuming not enough of it bonds to the paint if you wipe it off too soon without using ZFX. I've always used ZFX with mine, and as soon as I'm done applying it, I'm ready to wipe it off. If its really humid I may have to wait 10-15 mins after I'm done the truck to wipe it off, but usually no longer than that.

As for the damp cloth, thats a trick I use pretty often. I've got an empty Z6 spray bottle i keep water in to mist the paint if its being a PITA to remove. I've still yet to find a consistent pattern for it being a pain to wipe off. Sometimes Z2 will go on & off like butter and Z5 will be a bit stubborn coming off, other times its vice versa. Usually after the 1st coat though the next ones always go easier, but for some reason every now and then I will have a harder time than normal wiping off my first coat (whether its Z5 or Z2) and I mist the paint slightly. It probably wipes more polish off than without the water, but overall I don't think it affects it all too much.

I actually Zainoed my truck yesterday, and ran across a pretty major concern. If you use Z-AIO and its over a year old, test it on a small panel first. I've NEVER had an issue wiping Z-AIO off, and its always been one of the easiest products I've ever used to wipe off. Well my bottle is 1.5-2 years old, and I haven't used it in 6 months. I shook it up good, it went on nice and easy, but coming off, holy crap. The water trick wouldn't even help. I drained 3/4 bottle of quick detailer and about a dozen MF towels trying to get it all back off. It just kept smearing and streaking. I've never had a Z product act like that before. I'm going to email Zaino and inquire about an expiration date on Z-AIO. If thats the case that its too old, they should either sell it in smaller bottles if its not intended to last 2 years, or put an expiration date on the stuff. It was a NIGHTMARE getting it off!

And the odd thing was I just compounded wiht M82, then ZPC, so the paint was UBER smooth, and usually after I compound the polish goes on and off super easy.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Another ? for the Zaino master.
    Finally used my bottle of Z2 that Ive had for about 3yrs+ it's was thye old stock before they went to the PRO version. Even after that long the color was still light pink color. I just recently bought some stuff of Ebay from a seller and it's the PRO version but 1-2 yrs old and the wax is more of an orange pink and has discolored from the original pink color. Did they change there formulation when they changed to PRO or why the discoloration over time. Even the owner stated it had discolored but my bottle which is way older was still the same color as originally. Any ideas?
    BTW if I still have the old Z1 polidh lok would it be better to apply the Z5 after the Z1 first then the Z2 final coat or just use Z5 or Z2 for all coats? Also at min how many coats and in what order? I also have Z6.
    Thanks
    Tazz

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I think at once time they either used a different color additive that discolored over time, or there was a change in formulas. I've had that on one of my older bottles of Z2 as well. Had a little bit left of a really old bottle and it stayed pink, then an early bottle of the Z2 PRO and it turned orangish, then another bottle of Z2 PRO after the first one and it stayed pink even after a couple years. All I can guess is they either adjusted their original PRO formula, or made a batch with a different type of coloring than they normally use and it changed colors after time

I have noticed with some Z products, they seem to expire, or well become less effective or more of a PITA to use. I had a bottle of ZAIO that was a year, maybe two years old. That stuff did NOT want to come off after I applied it! And normally ZAIO is the easiest one out of them all to apply and remove. I ended up chucking it and buying a new bottle.

Now for the last question, you're asking whether to do either Z1, Z5, Z2, or just Z5, Z2? Are you using ZFX with the Z5 and Z2? If you're using ZFX, there's no need to use Z1, its just an extra unneeded step. Honestly I've never even used Z1 since I've always used ZFX. You need to use one or the other though. The Z1 helps the polish bond to the paint so it lasts longer. The ZFX does the same thing, but also makes it dry 10x's faster so it comes off easier sooner. I've applied and removed a full coat of zaino in a half hour and the ZFX made it dry nice and fast to allow me to get it done in that time frame (thunderstorm pushing me to finish before it hit lol).

As for the order, always do Z5 before Z2. The max # of coats you should do in a day (with using ZFX) is 3, otherwise you're just pushing around what you applied without letting it bond, but I generally only like to do 2, then let it sit in the sun for a day or two, then hit it again for additional coats.

But definitely buy the ZFX. It may seem pricey for a half dropper bottle filled of magical stuff, but its soooo worth it. Also, i've done 17 coats so far since June (10 on Jekyll and 7 on Hyde), and I still have enough left for another 5-7 coats in my same bottle of ZFX, and I even do 6 drops per ounce when the instructions say 3-5 just because its so humid around here, so thats 20-25 coats of Zanio out of a bottle of ZFX.

El Presidente
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Zaino get's old and the results will diminish with age.

Had a customer of mine who bought used zaino and tried to apply Z2 after it was cream color. It was a PITA to put on and even worse to remove. When I gave him a fresh bottle of Z2 PRO he was WTF. It was super easy to apply and remove compared to the old stuff. It had to have been at least 3-4 years old.

Anyway - check the zaino web site with time limits for the full Z product line.

If in doubt just chuck it - it's not worth the hassle.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Hog View Post
    If in doubt just chuck it - it's not worth the hassle.
    Yep a lesson very well learned! Heck thats half the reason I dreaded waxing my truck. Before I'd rarely zaino the truck, so I didn't know how old the stuff was. Pretty much a crap shoot if it'd come off easy or not lol. Now I mark the bottles when I buy them, and between two HD's now to zaino, I'll easily go through a set of polishes in a year. Worth the extra $20-30 to get new stuff, than fight with removing it!

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    so do i use the ZAIO before the Z5 with sfx im
    assuming it goes
    Zaio
    Z6
    Z5 w/ zfx
    Z6
    Z2
    Z6

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you can, its not necessary though if you're using Z5 and Z2.

I usually just use ZAIO as inbetween coats for throwing a coat of Z on here or there, and normally do full blown details twice a year with multiple coats of Z5 and Z2.

Name:

And for the most extreme enthusiast...
    While not required, for the ULTIMATE in paint protection and an INCREDIBLE show car finish, use Z-AIO, followed by 2 coats of ZFX enabled Z-5 PRO, then 1 coat of Z-2 PRO (including a Z-6 wipe down between coats) and finish off with an application of Z-CS. Wait 12 hours, then wipe down the vehicle with Z-8. Get your sunglasses out, the gloss may be blinding.

El Presidente
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I should do that the next sunny weekend.

Name:

this is what i did today with the Ultimate Detail Machine
    Zaio
    Z6
    Z5 w/ zfx
    Z6
    Z2
    Z6

Then Applied New Blue Flame and now its got soapy dried on stains from the decal install.

El Presidente
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    You go ahead put on lots of coats. I have lots in stock.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you did the flame decal after the zaino? really should have applied the decal first on a surface prepped to remove any wax or polish. The adhesive of the decal is just sticking to the zaino rather than bare paint.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3