Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Josh's Zaino Tips

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Josh's Zaino Tips

Josh, hope you don't mind, but since we're entering serious Zaino season, I thought it would be a good idea to share your tips posted last year. I cut and pasted them into a word document in order to have them at my beck and call. They are great, thanks again. Here they are for everyone to utilize:

aight, here i go...if anybody else notices something i missed or skipped, or wanted to throw something else in, just throw it up. i can't remember everything. LoL.

since you are just using the Z5 and Z6 and either Z1 or zfx, i'll just type this up for those 3 (4) products.

Overview using Z1:
    After you do the dawn wash (using a 100% cotton wash mit made in the USA) and have dried the truck and are ready for polish, if you are using the Z1, you have to apply a coat to the whole truck, then don't buff it off and go over the truck again using the Z5. when that dries (it'll take a few hours) then you can buff it all off. after you do this, then use the z6 spray on the truck and you are done for 24 hours.
    next time you go to polish you don't have to use the Z1 and you can start with the z5, then apply it , let it dry for a few hours, then buff it off, then hit the truck with the z6.
    you should use the Z1 every 6 months or so.

overview using zfx:
    if you decide to go with the zfx instead because its alot faster, then, after the dawn wash and dry the truck, get one of the 2 oz. mixing containers that comes with the zfx and fill it up 1/4 of the way with Z5. Get the zfx dropper bottle and put in 3 drops of zfx in if its not that humid out and pretty sunny, or 4 or 5 drops if its really humid and/or cloudy out. Get the z5 again and fill the mixer bottle up another 1/4 of the way so its 1/2 full with polish (one ounce). Shake the bottle for one minute so the zfx and z5 mix really well, then let it sit for about 5 minutes while you get your other stuff ready.

after it sits then shake it up again really quick and you can get to work applying it (tips for that towards bottom of this post) by the time you are finished doing the whole truck, you should be ready to buff it off. if not let the truck sit for 15 minutes or so then check back again. if the polish smears its not dry enough, and next time use another drop of zfx. It should take about 1 ounce of polish to do the whole truck. the 1st time though you may want to mix up a little more than 1 ounce (1/2 bottle) so you don't runout and get the hang of spreading it thin

after you buff it off, then get the z6 quick detailer and go over the truck (tips at bottom) then you can mix up another bottle of z5 with zfx and go to work again. you can do this 3 times in 24 hours. you shouldnt do more because the polish needs time to crosslink. every time you use the z5 you need to add the zfx, and after every coat of z5 hit the truck with the z6 quick detailer.

z6 quick detailer:
    use this after every coat of polish, and after every car wash. just lightly spray a panel on the truck with it, then rub it in using a 100% cotton made in USA towel. You don't need to spray much, just maybe one trigger pump per panel and its plenty. buff it into the paint going forward to back on the top surfaces, and top to bottom on the side surfaces. any haze or excess should evaporate quickly! if not then go over it again lightly. this also will remove bugs or sap if its not crusted on.

Cloths for zaino
    you always always ALWAYS want to use 100% cotton MADE IN USA towels! even if it says 100% cotton but is made in mexico, it really isn't and can cause scratches in the paint. some good brands are fieldcrest or cannon. you can get them from like walmart or kmart or one of those stores, not autozone or those places. same goes for washmits....100% made in usa cotton! also with applicator pads. I just use the zaino cotton pads though cuz i know they are 100% cotton. they should send you a few with your order. you can also use foam viking pads instead to apply the polish, but i like the cotton ones better.
    also, with your towells, either make sure you fold all the edges back, or better yet cut them off. they are sewn with nylon and that scratches. best to just cut them off (even the design strip) and sew the edge with some cotton thread.

Cleaning up
    you always have to wash your mixing containers after you mix z5 with zfx so it doesn't dry in there. just get some dishwasing soap and warm water and clean them out. a little PITA sometimes, but it keeps everything nice and gunk free. same goes for applicator pads, wash those after every time also. what i do is wash them by hand with some dish soap and water, then put them in a ziplock bag thats got a little water in it until i get around to washign all my zaino towells together. make sure when you wash your towells and stuff that you use for the zaino that you do NOT use fabric softener, or use powder detergent. i use liquid tide for mine.

applying zaino
    thin coats are best for numerous reasons.
    -only so much will stick, why put on extra just to buff it off
    -thin coats go on easier
    -thin coats come off easier
    -better and easier to do 3 thin coats than one heavy coat and get less than best results

When you get your applicator cotton pad, 1st spray it with some water, then squeeze it out very very well, just should barely even feel wet. then get the z6 spray and spray both sides real quick with a quick spurt of the z6. then get the z5 and pour a little dime size dab on the one end, and spread it across the applicator with your finger. doing the water and z6 trick makes less z5 get absorbed into the pad, and hence less wasted. plus it helps spread it thinner.

when you spread it on the paint, it should be very very thin, you should barely be able to see it on there, and you'll get a very light haze. not like most waxes where it turns whiteish and a very dull look. the zaino will just look like your paint is hazy or something. thats thick enough. do the whole truck like this and you should get just about the whole truck done with one ounce.

when you wash the truck, do the z6, or apply and remove the polish, always go from front to back on the top surfaces (hood, roof) and top to bottom on the side panels (doors, fenders, tailgates) its just an optical trick that makes the truck look better, and cuts down on spider webbing cuz you are always cleaning in the same direction.

removing zaino

like said above, front to back on top, and top to bottom on the sides. just use a 100% cotton USA towel and buff it off, changing towells often. if it smears around a little give it a few more minutes to dry then try again. its very easy after you get the hang of it, and although it may seem i'm very zaino bias, i'm not. if a product works, and works great, i'm gonna use it. if somebody says something else is better, i'll probably give it a try if they give me a good enough reason to do it. zaino is hands down the easiest polish system i've ever used, and the best results i've ever gotten. i used to be a huge liquid glass fan, and i still am cuz its great stuff, but zaino is a step above IMO.

So to sum this up if you choose z1 with the z5 and z6 heres what you need to do
    -day one
    ---dawn wash
    ---dry truck
    ---z1 polish applied
    ---Z5 polish applied ontop of z1
    ---Z1 and Z5 buffed off
    ---Z6 quick detailer spray
    -day 2/3/4/etc
    -z5 polish apply
    -z5 polish remove
    -z6 quick detailer

If you choose to go the easier and quicker route with zfx here's what you need to do
    -day one
    ---dawn wash
    ---dry truck
    ---mix z5 with zfx
    ---apply z5 with zfx
    ---remove z5 with zfx
    ---z6 quick detailer
    ---z5 with zfx apply/remove (optional 2nd coat)
    ---z6 quick detailer
    ---Z5 with zfx apply/remove (optional 3rd coat)
    ---Z6 quick detailer
    -day two
    ---Z5 with zfx for 4+ coats if you want

whew,that took me long enough. LoL...maybe a new record lengh post for nhtoc LoL! hopefully i'm not forgetting much. if i am i'm sure the other zaino zealots will post in here.

www.zainobros.com for more info. thats where i learned all this mumbo jumbo. alot of reading but once you get the hang of it, its not nearly as complicated as it sounds, although after reading this post you may need a few :d

With thanks to Harley 356!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great job Lincoln! I just got a Zaino kit for my b-day and this will save me from browsing around to find all the various tips that have been posted in this forum!!

A big

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Thanks for summing it up in one post for me. i've been meaning to do one big sticky on it but never have gotten around to it. I'll have to re-read through that post again when i get some more time and i'll edit in any stuff i may have left out from the 1st time around.

i'll stick this thread so it stays up top

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I threw out my Zaino ,but I wont get into that...

Josh I keep hearing it's not very good for the paint to use Dawn..It remove oils in the paint that are supposed to be there..If you clay your vehicle, that will remove any residual wax,thus not needing to Dawn your truck..

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    why'd you throw out the zaino? PM me if you want

As for dawn, i'm sure its not any worse for the paint than acid rain and road salt and all that crap, and most major detailing sites i've read on recommends it for once or twice a year washing to strip any wax/grease to start fresh.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If anyone has any zaino they dont want dont throw it out send it my way!!!
    CAUTION: Dodges in the mirror may be slower than they appear...

GO BUCS!!!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Do I need Z-2 if I am using Z-5?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i dont see why you wouldn't want it. Z5 is the base polish, removes the fine swirls, and gives the paint a deeper darker look, the z2 gives its a more sleek shiney look. not noticible to the average joe, but after experimenting with different amount of coats of both z5 and z2, you can notice slight differences. i would recommend getting z2 as well for your top coats. plus z2 is a little easier on and off

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does this ZFX require buffing i know it says it but i suck at buffing can i just put it on and wipe off by hand???

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    ZFX isn't a polish, its an additive that you put in the Z5 or Z2 so it will greatly reduce their drying time. if you dont use zfx you'll have to use z1 so the Z5 and Z2 sticks to the paint, and you'll have to wait hours between putting it on and buffing it off. with the zfx by th etime you are done applying you can remove.

and when on the zaino site it says buffing it off, they dont mean with a buffer, they mean a 100% cotton towel or MF towel and wiping the polish off. really easy to do

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks again JOsh your the man!

-553-558 KB 2.6 14lbs
    -BOSS330 Built

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    BTW,

The Zaino Tire Shine works awesome on bringing back to life the rubber trim strip at the base of the door windows. Mine were getting all gray and dried out looking. I was toying with the idea of replacing them or even painting them to match the paint. But I applied the tire shine out of curiousity. Put two coats on there, applied one coat and let it dry and then hit it with another coat and BAM!!!! back to new, sure made a difference and prolonged the life of them. I did that six months ago and they are still looking good.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    just adding onto this thread. was going through my PM's and found this old one, so i'll post it up cuz it has some more good zaino info in it....

Re: Detailing help
    Hey Ryan, how's it going?

anyway, if you decide to try out the whole zaino setup, the only real way to get the best results is to basically get almost everything they have. I know it may sound a little overwhelming, but the process is pretty simple once you get to understand it, and the cost is around 120 up front for everything, but it will easily last you a year, maybe more.

If you have real bad swirls, the zaino will hide them somewhat, but it wont solve your problem. My truck is almost 4 years old, outside 24/7 and a daily driver, and even though i always keep it washed and protected with wax or polish, i've attained some swirl marks throughout the years. The only real solution to this is get the truck professionally buffed and compounded. I dont know enough about using buffers and permant swirl removal because you can easily screw up your paint if you dont know what you are doing. This spring i am taking my truck to get professionally buffed to remove the swirls.

For the whole zaino thing, i'll briefly go through the products for ya and try to condense what each one is for so its a little easier to get the concept of em. the zaino website can be pretty wordy (as if my PM isn't already HUGE ;t )

Z7- the zaino car wash, suds up really well, best car wash i've ever used. it also helps prolong the zaino protection

Z6- quick detailer. i usually order 3-4 bottles of this at a time. i use it all the time. its the greatest. use it after washing to make the paint super slick, use it after the zaino polish to remove any spots i missed, use it after dusting the truck to keep it looking awsome between washes. it'll remove sap, bug guts, and keeps the zaino polish looking supreme.

Z5- the base polish. More coats of this look better on black. gives it a deep rich finish. I usually do 2 coats of Z5 and one coat of Z2 when i spend a day detailing.

Z2- top coat polish. gives the truck a higher gloss shine, it does make a diffference with the # of coats of Z5 and Z2, gives the truck different looks, i found that i like it best with 2 coats of Z5 and 1 coat of Z2. Zaino can be layered, so the more layers you do, the better it looks, the longer it lasts, and the better the protection. I try to do 10 coats over a season (spring, summer, fall) since its too cold here to mess with it in the winter. dont be confused though, putting it on thick doesnt do anything but waste it. if you put it on really thin, it'll last alot longer and you get awsome results. Even with just 3 coats, it'll last a good 6 months. I can't zaino from november til around february or march since its too damn cold here and i dont have a garage, and it still beads up like crazy, and after a wash and quick detail with Z6 it looks like it was just polished.

ZFX- this is a must have! dramatically cuts down drying time for Z2 and Z5. by the time i'm finished applying, it can be buffed off. with this you dont need to order Z1, it replaces that. This allows you to do 3 coats in a day. mind you it doesn't take all day to do the 3 coats, but any more than 3 coats in a 24 hour period, you are pretty much just wiping off what you just put on since the zaino needs to completely cure before you can layer more on.

Thats the basics....here's some other zaino products that kick azz and i highly recommend

Z16- its their tire shine. i've tried literally dozens of tire shines, and this is by far the best one out there. lasts about 2 weeks, even with washes as long as i dont scrub the tires. doesn't turn brown, doesn't attract dirt, doesn't feel oily. stuff is just plain out awsome. one coat for low gloss, 2 coats for high gloss. i usually do 1 coat for just everyday use, and 2 coats at shows. 1 bottle lasted me a year, so really 20 bucks for a bottle of tire shine isn't that bad since its a big bottle and it lasts a really long time. might want to pick up some eagle 1 tire swipes at pepboys as well....awsome for applying the tire shine

Z9- zaino's leather cleaner. no artificial smells, cleans up the seats nicely. i use it about every 4-6 months.

Z10- zaino's leather conditioner. i use it about every month, except during the winter ;c damn cold. lol. Smells like real leather, doesn't make the seats greasy, gives the leather a nice brand new look. after almost 4 years and 35K miles, my seats are still looking almost like new

Z12- the glass polish. works like an actual polish, apply it, let it haze, then buff off. can't use this on the tinted side of windows (can be used on all the stock windows since its privacy glass, not film tint). I mainly use it on the front windshield. you know that haze that forms on the front inside windshield? its like a film that forms from the dash heating up in the sun, then the chemicals in the plastic dash raise up and stick on the windshield. makes it a royal pain in the azz to clean streak free. this zaino Z12 makes it easy as pie to clean. just do the glass polish before you clean the rest of the interior because it leaves dust just like regular wax does. 1st time i used it i did the whole interior then the glass. my freshly cleaned dash was all dusty again. lol.

I think i covered it all. basically if you want to do the zaino right you need to get the 1st products i covered. the last few that i said were optional aren't necessary, but i highly recommend them. you use store bought stuff for that anyway, might as well order it all at once from zaino since they do a better job anyway and the stuff lasts a loooong time. i clean my truck all the time and i only have to reorder polish once a year. quickdetailer and wash about 2 times a year.

O yeah, i forgot one thing. claybar. i think its z18. same thing as you can get in a store, but its a pretty good price, 20 bucks for 2 claybars...about average prices. THe bars are pretty big, so break them in 1/2, and i use 1/2 a bar to clay my truck once then throw it out. its only twice a year, so figure thats 5 bucks for 1/2 a bar, worth the price for using a clean bar every time like that. plus if you drop it on the ground, which is very likely since it gets slippery, you have a spare to use cuz you DONT wanna use the one you just dropped, even if you think you got all the dirt off, there's probably some still there. and you Definately want to clay your truck before you do all this zaino work. the zaino site describes the claybar process better than i could. if you have any other quetsions though just hit me up.

You should also pick up some blue dawn dishwashing soap also. strips any wax or grease from your paint before you start polishing.

Goodluck! sorry for making this so long, but i hope it covers most of your initial questions.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Part III

wanted to add in some info about MF towels...

i've made the switch from cottom towels to MF towels a little over a year ago. definately switched for good!

if you do choose cotton, check out my info above on that.

for MF...here's a few sites that have good prices

www.microfibertech.com
    great starting kits, and bulk orders of MF towels for good prices and awsome variety

www.yosteve.com
    they accept paypal, so if you are on the edge of trying out MF, you can just order one or two towels right through paypal and try them out. this is how i got hooked. plus they have 4"x4" MF towels, i keep one in my truck for wiping down the instrument cluster cuz that plastic scratches very very easily, then another one in my desk for cleaning my laptop screen

www.pakshak.com
    almost same stuff as MFtech, and prices are about the same, maybe slightly higher, but they have a few other size towels. never ordered from here before, i just use MFtech.

as for cleaning and maintence, MFtech website has a lot of good info on it, and they sell cleaner as well, its a special detergent for washing MF towels. i got a thing of it for christmas, but haven't tried it out yet. i'll report back if i find any tips/tricks for that, but shouldnt be too difficult

also wanted to add in a couple other things on a side tangent....

Vinylex...only stuff i use on my vinyl and interior. you can use zaino tire shine for vinyl and plastic stuff, but its tough without a spray nozzle, so i use vinylex and it works great, waterbased, not oily, and can be found almost anywhere. 303aerospace protectant is another popular choice, although its a bit harder to find and more expensive.

if you guys would like, i can also do up an engine detailing sticky as well, or just redo this one into a more organized Interior/exterior/engine detailing sticky's lemme know, or if anyody has stuff to add, just post up

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    I put 2 applications of Zaino on last week.
    And woowee i love that shine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast