Thread: exhaust

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

exhaust

does anyone think it would be better to go with a bassani no cat mid pipe or a magnaflow two cat midpipe i want it loud but i dont want to pay over 400 for it

Best trucks ever !
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up Loud but cheap ... does not compute.

Dude, if you want it loud .... drill some holes in the pipes.

If you want it cheap... find a truck that has it and steal it .... just kidding ... have someone else steal it.

Good luck!!

Cheers,

jpanchalk
    Name:

You're going to get what you pay for. And if you only have $400 to spend, then you can't afford a decent exhaust. Save a few bucks each week until you can. That's the raw truth.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a Bassani with no rear cats and a midpipe. I love the sound. I got mine used for $225.

Best trucks ever !
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb Cops love loud cars!!

Well here's my take on loud exhaust. FWIW.

The louder it is, the more people remember your truck. This goes for your local law enforcement members as well.

I live in a small town (6000 people) and I know 50% of those people recognize my truck. I have to be very cautious about when to add the boost.

Loud trucks on the street = not much savings in the pocket book. Put a nice sounding exhaust on for $600 and you will save some hastle with the law.

There's my 2 cents worth.

Keep your boost up!!

Cheers,

Bobby Bouchet's neighbor
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am staying with the stock set up. While I have done most of the performance stuff I personally cant stand the noise especially drone of the highway for long distance. If this was my around town hop up it would be different. My sports car is so loud and stinky I get a headache after riding around town.
    If I recall , I had read before that stock is a good design up to point so I would assume you can get a great sound for little money. I wouldnt think an all out performance system is worth the doller/ HP if there are little mods to justify it.
    I say that base on the question asked.
    IMO

Best trucks ever !
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up Stock will work ok.

I agree with you on that one. I used to have a 70 Cougar with 351C and I had headers, 2.25" pipes, some sort of Turbo mufflers, 2.25" tailpipes and I couldn't stand the reverberation when cruising. Oh and I was cautioned many times by the local law about it.

Most of the articles and forums I have cruised thru say leave the stock exhaust on since you may not even notice any gains in HP and could possibly loose torque if the exhaust is too free flowing. This motors need a little back pressure to hold the charge in the cylinder. That could be different if you were going for a full race 5.4 with all the goodies. I hope to get there one day but at $1.14 / litre here in Canada for 94 octane it's looking quite grim at best. Oh for you on the other side of the pond that is about $4.50 / US gallon. Can you see the trend here !! Enjoy your 10 mile / gallon cruiser now while we can still get gas. It's all going to China soon along with the manufacturing industry.

Most likely all I would do is add a MagnaFlow cat back system since IMHO I think it has the nicest sound without the reverberation thing.

Let's hope we all can work together to make the best of it.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Harley2003; 04-09-2006 at 12:03 PM.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    if your budget is tight, it'll be cheaper to piece it together. troyerperformance.com has SS high flow magnaflow cats for 80 a piece, then just have to get an exhaust shop weld them in place. ditch the front 2 cats and install these in place of the rear cats. it'll be a bit louder, but not too obnoxious, and you'll gain some seat of the pants power too.

for the catback, bigexhaust.com has SS maggy mufflers for 80-120 bucks and its an easy swap out for an exhaust shop. wont be a full bolt in SS setup like bolt in midpipes and catback, but i'll save you some coin, sound just as good, and get you the same gains, just wont look quite as purdy.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well this threat is almost 2 years old now i have since bought dynatech longtube headers high flow mid pipes and bassani catback then put the harley truck back to stock traided it in on a brand new 2004 lightning. I am running stage 3 ported blower. jlp supercooler,custom tune,ram air intake,traction bars,driveshaft loop. single blade throttle body, smc alky injection, hoosier 28" slicks, 6lb lower(16psi of boost) all stock exhaust iddler pulley and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember off the top of my head

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    does anyone know if a lightning exhaust will work on our trucks with little or no modifacations

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    **** THA POLICE!!!!

now that being said...

yes the damn L exhaust will work you damn guy who brings it back from the dead....

and NO CATS FTMFW FWIW!!!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    does anyone know if a lightning exhaust will work on our trucks with little or no modifacations
    damn 2 year old thread lol.

the L exhaut will work if you extend the midpipes 18-22" and you can even use the L catback hanger brackets to get it to hang up pretty easily.