Thread: Paint Match

Vader
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Paint Match

I'm just curious, has anyone had any part of ther 02 DSG painted? I am having my hood painted for the 5th time because it just doesn't seem to match. At first it was the lack of metal flake, then it was streaking, now it's the color. I realize that when you are panel shooting, matching definitely becomes an issue, but I do not want them to blend the fenders. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

SOLD

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My DSG Gaylords X2000 tonneau looks the same way. The metal flake is much smaller than the factory paint. Have you had the ford dealer paint it or at least use the same paint as Ford??? That's what I had planned on doing with the tonneau and a new hood. But if Ayrton comes through, I maybe painting it black.
    NHTOC # 21
    2003 10th Annv Torch Red Convertible Cobra

Predator/Runnin With The Devil
    Billetflow 2.76, idler and 4 Pulley Kit
    LFP Ported Blower
    LFP Heat Exchanger
    K&N FIPK
    LFP Brisk Plugs
    Bassani Catback/Catted X-Pipe
    LFP/Kirban Shifter
    MGW Shifter Handle
    470HP 481.5tq new KB numbers soon

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Exactly the same thing here. I had to have my gaylord x2000 lid reshot because it had too much blue in it. Also the metal flake was somewhat smaller. Just bothered the heck out of me. So I just had stevet from the other forum repaint it and it came out absolutely perfect. Make sure you give your gas cap lid, vin#, and paint code to whoever is painting your stuff. Apparently the person who mixes the paint can use the paint code and vin# to verify base color and then use the gas lid to determine whether to tint the color lighter or darker or add more or less flake. Good luck!
    2002 DSG F150 H-D #8262

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The DSG is a very difficult one to match..... according to several people I have talked to...... something like 11 or 12 different tints go into the blend. I had a local guy do my hard tonnaeu and repair a scratch on my bumper..... he got the blend from a Sherwin Williams store....... matched it up beautifully !!

Vader
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    grayhd2,

Did Sherwin Williams go strictly off the paint code, or did they have one of those scanners that looks at the actual color and determines the formula?

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well my hood was shot once and looks perfect.. House of Color paint and they used a scanner to get it right.. Took 5 scans, three of the original hood and 2 of the fenders. Now I was informed that we were lucky but I would go with the scan that is for sure..

Forever Uunorganized

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was told that you can get the paint directly from Ford, using the color code and vin, by my dealership.

However, having read the above, I sure hope it's not something I personally have to experience. Reminds me of when Mr. Bertolucci invented the candy apple red back in the 60's....nobody else could copy it exactly, for a long time.
    NHTOC #4

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    outnumbered,

They went strictly from the paint code..... this local guy mixed it from their numbers, and it matched perfectly.
    NHTOC #16
    2002 Harley-Davidson DSG #9455
    K&N, Flowmasters, Superchips micro tuner, Home Depot Ram air, Autometer boost gauge w/steering column pod, Boost bypass, Belltech 2" shackels, Hellwig rear sway bar,T-rex black billet grille, Black 8" billet antenna, ARE hard tonnaeu w/bedrug,
    HD floormats, Tinted windows, Colgan bra w/mirror covers,
    Class III hitch

2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide... Diamond Ice Pearl

Vader
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds like you got very lucky!

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    outnumbered,
    You may want to get the paint from your dealer's body shop. When my Gaylord X2000 came in, the color "match" was so bad, I went to our supplier (I have a shop) with the color code and fuel-fill "flap" to have them get the blend correct using a color spectrometer (that's what the machine is called). Reshot the lid and ... the color did not match! (was better but not "right"). Went to the dealer's body shop and got talking to the guy who runs the shop and he convinced me to order the paint through his shop (he did it as a favor since they are not in the business of selling paint). Getting it from him was almost twice the cost! Shot the lid again ... perfect match! Just shows that color specteroscopy is not an "exact science". Is better than just a paint code though! Good luck! ... I know it can be frustrating sometimes to get it "just right"!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I had to have my rear driver door repainted after a kid in my neighborhood introduced his handlebar to it. I had a local body shop here match the paint, don't know how he did it, but I really can't tell any difference. Maybe he got lucky doing the match?

Vader
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mine may actually have been close at one point. However, I have been told that I am one anal rascal.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's funny Outnumbered. I remember when I went to pick the truck up after having the door shot. I went to get it expecting it to look like @ss, but was pleasantly surprised...