Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pulleys

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

pulleys

I don't want to ask a dumb question, but could someone explain these pulley installs...... I know the HD has a 6lb, but what do you mean by going to a 2 or 4lb pulley ?? Do you actually replace the stock one, or just add additional pulleys ??
    NHTOC #16
    2002 Harley-Davidson DSG #9455
    K&N, Flowmasters, Superchips micro tuner, Home Depot Ram air, Autometer boost gauge w/steering column pod, Boost bypass, Belltech 2" shackels, Hellwig rear sway bar,T-rex black billet grille, Black 8" billet antenna, ARE hard tonnaeu w/bedrug,
    HD floormats, Tinted windows, Colgan bra w/mirror covers,
    Class III hitch

2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna Super Glide... Diamond Ice Pearl

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i'm sure somebody else will explain it more than i can, but here's my best shot.

between the combo of the upper and lower pullies, the HD gets about 6 lbs of boost stock. when somebody says they added a 2 lb pulley, that means the totally replaced the upper or lower pulley....that being bigger lower or smaller upper for increased boost.

the HD gets 6 lbs vs the L's 8 lbs due to the HD's larger upper pulley and rougly 2 lbs less of boost.

i'm sure ken will be around shorty to make your head spin with some #'s and math :p

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    from what I've read...... most people change the lower pulley don't they ???

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    lol.... i'm never gonna shake that "fun with math" thread, am I?

bottom pulley going bigger than stock... more boost
    top pulley going smaller than stock... more boost

do both... LOTS more boost

Yes, you replace the bottom pulley assembly entirely. For the sake of argument, you could call the stock pulley a "0" pound since it doesn't add any more boost than stock (it is stock ;)). A 2lb pulley replaces the stock 7.4" lower pulley with something a little less than 8".

What are you wanting to do? Maybe I can point you in the right direction...

Ken

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ken,
    Do you have any plans to replace your blower with either the KB or the Works?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ken800
    More boost...... more power...... just wanting to get a little more out of the truck without over doing it. From what I've read.... a pulley upgrade would be the next logical step. Based on my current mods...... what do you think ???

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd say to grab a 4lb lower and no chip and see what you think. Once you chip it, you get into that gray area of what will void my warranty and what won't...

LFP has a nice interchangeable design that you could later go up in boost if you decided you want to run a chip.

I would put in a factory tech valve body instead of chip if you want to tighten up the shifts.

The above two items -- about 475 or so total, will make it run hard and shift very firm. You'll be quite happy.

Boostin' Daily.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So I could get away with a 4lb lower pulley? Basically bringing the total boost to 10lbs with a totally stock truck and no side-effects?

I love the truck, but I could always let loose a few ponies.
    NHOTC #23
    2002 Supercharged Harley Davidson Supercrew DSG - Fast Daily Driver.
    1985 Turbocharged RX-7 GSL-SE "Cosmo" 13B-RE - Much, Much, Faster Weekend Racer.
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Convertible bone stock - Weekend Cruiser.
    1998 Sea-Doo GTX-Limited too many mods!

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think you will find anyone that will say the 4lb lower is unsafe.

There are two people who work for ford over on f150world that have a 2.8" ASP upper pulley with no chip and they have dynoed their trucks to be sure...

7.4/2.8 = 2.643 ratio and blower rpms at 5250 of 13875.

You should have no issues at all.

What I will say is that I wouldn't do it unless you can get to a dyno and run it with a wideband attached.

Also, I would consider, though it might be overkill, chaning to an IT-20 Denso or other equivalent 1 range colder plug just to be sure...

If it were my truck, I'd actually go with a 5lb JL lower and do the same on the dyno. I won't recommend you do it becuase I don't want you mad at me if something went wrong. (it very likely wouldn't, though)

Ken

Boostin' Daily.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by ken800
    I don't think you will find anyone that will say the 4lb lower is unsafe.

There are two people who work for ford over on f150world that have a 2.8" ASP upper pulley with no chip and they have dynoed their trucks to be sure...

7.4/2.8 = 2.643 ratio and blower rpms at 5250 of 13875.

You should have no issues at all.

What I will say is that I wouldn't do it unless you can get to a dyno and run it with a wideband attached.

Also, I would consider, though it might be overkill, chaning to an IT-20 Denso or other equivalent 1 range colder plug just to be sure...

If it were my truck, I'd actually go with a 5lb JL lower and do the same on the dyno. I won't recommend you do it becuase I don't want you mad at me if something went wrong. (it very likely wouldn't, though)

Ken
    I actually own a Wideband that I got from Aus, I have used it extensively to tune my Haltech controlled RX-7 Turbo.

I can provide info on how to get them for less than $350, + the $130 O2 sensor. If anybody is interested.

I already have a "street-legal" Race-car (the RX-7, runs low 11's on street tires), so I don't need two money pits.

Before I continue to even think of modifying my beautiful new truck, I do have one question. Will the 4 (or 5) lb pulley make a LARGE difference in performance?, or should I just leave it stock?

I have a saying, - "is the juice worth the squeeze?"

If it's not going to be much faster (I think only 18HP?), then I don't see it worth the increased risk. But I have no idea what the extra power is like.

I was kinda hoping for stock Lightning power levels, with a few minor changes.

BTW, I am not new to forums, so please - if this has already been covered over and over, then please just point me to the right thread.

Thanks!

I'm broke
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey Ken -

I know a 4lb pulley is safe to go with on our trucks, but you think we might get away with the JLP 5lb pulley and a set od IT20s without adding a chip and be okay? Interesting. I have not thought about that. You think the plugs will take care of any more detonation becuase of more boost? Of course doing the wide band dyno check and make sure everythings was okay. Just wondering. Of course I would talk to JL before trying such a thing, but I don't want to ask him a dumb question....thats whay you are for. I am a member of the "pay to play" club also, but I don't have the money to "play" with the big boys for the time being. So I am trying to come up with reversible means of power before I jump into the deep end with the rest of you guys. By that I mean if something happens I can change it back to stock.

Does the computer keep a "map" or record of the boost levels being generated? I remember someone posting that they had a check engine light come on and it was an 'overboost' code. Now that I think about it I think I have the same code at the moment now on my computer. I was driving about 85mph down the highway and I punched it to pass a diesel and the truck kicked down into drive or second. It lept forward like I got hit from behind and at that moment the check engine light came on for that run. After I slowed down it went away, and I could not get it to do it again nor get it to shift down again. It was wierd.

Also if you get a chance, read my post "Finally made it over here" and see if you can answer a couple of questions I asked you.

Thanks.

David
    Last edited by WatchThis; 02-05-2003 at 02:46 AM.
    NHTOC #64
    '02 Harley DSG #8053
    313hp, 14.39@95 (Bone Stock)
    Lighting Upper Pulley (2.93)
    JLP Ram Air Kit
    JLP Line Valve Mod
    4x4 Trans Pan
    Gatorback Supercharger Belt
    BellTech 2" Drop Shackles
    Autometer Boost Gauge
    Autometer Column Pod
    Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
    Hidden Hitch
    J-Jent Lower Grill

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    GrayHD, Home depot ram air!!!! I love that.

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Welcome, Watchthis!

read this thread and you will see where my rationale for the 5lb lower is coming from:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...ghlight=ken800

WARNING: Your head might explode... go to the last page and you'll see the spreadsheet with the ratio and blower calculations. Read the first post to see where I am coming from...

Ken

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ken800
    Currently I am using the Superchips micro tuner...... if I went to a 4lb lower pulley, would I re-program the computer using the micro tuner or just set it back to stock ???

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    gray...

did you change shift points, rev limiter, and tranny line pressure with the microtuner?

There IS horsepower in tweaking shift points up or down, depending on your torque curve, but I'd leave them stock...

Increasing tranny line pressure is not horrible, but it is definitely not an ideal situation. I'd get a Factory Tech Valve Body to clean up the shifts. You'll love it, I ASSURE YOU...

Outside of that, I don't think the microtuner is doing anything else. If that little gem messed with timing and fuel, I'd think that superchips would have some blown motors on their hands...

So yes, I'd set it back to stock.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast