Thread: new KB blower thoughts...

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

new KB blower thoughts...

In anwer to aryton's question:

I posted on F150online L forum concerning the KB on a stock bottom end. Noone answered last I checked... maybe now they have...

Basically, the idea is that the KB will produce more HP at cooler temps with just a blower swap.

Unfortunately, at 9lbs of boost (KB spun so it produces same boost level as eaton) there is only 16HP to be found up near the peak. Through the powerband, there isn't much difference.

The KB shines when boost begins to climb, however since the eaton efficiency falls off a cliff at 14lbs of boost and more, where the KB continues efficient gains in HP up into the 20s...

I will consider a kenne bell probably toward the end of this year once I determine what kind of boost I can run on the stock internals. I would imagine 14lbs or so would be fine since heat is the enenmy and the KB is waaaaaayyyy cooler than the eaton... Something like 65 degrees at 9lbs of boost and even more as boost climbs.

There just isn't enough data out there right now for me to research and I don't trust anyone who sells it to tell me my anticipated gains...

with 14lbs, I would suspect you would turn 425 RWHP or so with the KB. The question is, without detonation, heat, and such, how much HP can a stock rod take before it snaps purely from the stress of the torque?

Ken

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well personally I think the stock rods are total crap, and my engine is completely stock down to the paper filer. I am not ready to spend $3000 plus for a blower just to handicap it with the stock internals.

My engine project will not be finished until probably late this year, so by that time the new Works will be out, and there will be considerably more data on the KB.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think that the JDM heat exchanger will also help with the increased boost from the KB blower and allow more boost with less chance of detonation. The problem at the end of the day still comes down to the cracked powdered metal rods as the weak link. I do hope that we can get some other vendor to produce a heat exchanger at a more reasonable price. Maybe this is one for Mark at LFP to consider. I'll ask if there is interest???
    NHTOC # 21
    2003 10th Annv Torch Red Convertible Cobra

Predator/Runnin With The Devil
    Billetflow 2.76, idler and 4 Pulley Kit
    LFP Ported Blower
    LFP Heat Exchanger
    K&N FIPK
    LFP Brisk Plugs
    Bassani Catback/Catted X-Pipe
    LFP/Kirban Shifter
    MGW Shifter Handle
    470HP 481.5tq new KB numbers soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Richard, there is one on the way.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nothing like a little competition to bring the pricing down!!! I for one am very interested in getting a heat exchanger.

Indestructible!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's on my list
    Proud owner of a 2002 Harley Davidson F150
    Mods: Kenne Bell 2.3L, Chickenears Ram Air Intake, JLP intake plenum, Weapon X Coils, Bassani High Flow cats, Magnaflow muffler, Troyer Performance E-fan, 4lb lower, FTVB, SCT chip, HID's, Accufab TB, REM Carbon Fiber intake tube, High Flow Water Pump, LFP Heat exchanger, .....theres a bunch more but I honestly can't remember it all!

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok as a person who has had a KB on a 4.6 in my old Roush I have to say I loved the blower.. Very efficient and worth the money.. Now I was stupid and didn't change the bottom end and with the help of a Superchip tuner to be named later th bottom end did ventilate itself.. But prior to that it was a great blower.. Kind of wish I would have hung onto it to maybe do this swap out that everyone is talking about..

I do know that if I was to spend the money on the KB I would spend the money to fortify the bottom end.. Trust me it's not a good feeling when they let go..

Forever Uunorganized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have read the post about how much a built short block and a new blower cost, but this is how I look at.

By the time you add up an after market pulley, long tubes, cat back exhaust, throttle body, cone filter, and a chip, you have already spent more than a built short block will cost. There are several guys who have already had all of the mods, and now are ready to spend the money for a blower. I understand that for most people these things have been purchased over time, and not all at once, but you can put a KB on top of a built bottom end, and make more power that is reliable than what you will get with $5000 worth of bolt ons.

Just my 2 cents

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Exactly my thoughts as I begin to get more information... Given the opportunity again, I would investigate the KB. It may not necessarily make MORE power than all of the bolt ons, but it won't cost any more if done at the outset and has way more potential if one decides to build a bottom end later.

A guy on NLOC has posted there and on F150ONLINE that he turned 425RWHP with 13 lbs of boost on the stock bottom end with the stock pulley...

That's pretty strong...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am keeping my stock engine stock, and building a long block for either the KB or the Works.

By the time the Works is out, and there is sufficient data available for the two blowers, my bottom end will be complete.