Thread: what else do I need?

GOT BLING?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what else do I need?

Just ordered a truck full(z #,#,#,#,#,#,#,#,#,# and zfx) of zaino stuff. now i guess i need a few other things. Probably an orbital polisher and some cloth. Im gathering all microfiber and %100 cotton. Anything else ill need or any suggestions on polisher?

GOT BLING?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ohh yeah and whats good to use to wash prior to all the zainoing

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you don't need a polisher for zaino, thats one of the reasons i like it so much

Anyway, use blue liquid dawn dishwashing soap before you zaino or claybar the truck

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    NO do not use DAWN ... or any dish soap! It will get into the crevices of the truck and will cause premature rusting, etc. I recommend you get some 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (pn 08984) and apply it to all the exterior surfaces of the truck with a nice soft towel (or microfiber) ... granted this is AFTER you wash the truck with some ph balanced shampoo and clay bar the bad boy. You want to remove as much crap as possible before you "strip" the finish -- it will reduce your chances of scratching the surface.

Pe@ce

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    alot of guys use dawn for stripping wax and have no problems at all. zaino even recommends it in their instructions. Dawn won't harm the paint or anything, its just strong enough to strip the wax

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know Zaino recommends it ... Now logically think about this.... it removes the last bit of protection the paint has .... and let that get into the areas of your car that you cant wax... problems... i didnt say they would instantly arise, but they will. I too have used dish soap in the past... and now that I know better... try the Adhesive Remover.

Tellin' It Like It Is!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by 4DoorLightning
    NO do not use DAWN ... or any dish soap! It will get into the crevices of the truck and will cause premature rusting, etc. I recommend you get some 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (pn 08984) and apply it to all the exterior surfaces of the truck with a nice soft towel (or microfiber) ... granted this is AFTER you wash the truck with some ph balanced shampoo and clay bar the bad boy. You want to remove as much crap as possible before you "strip" the finish -- it will reduce your chances of scratching the surface.

Pe@ce
    Do you have factual data to back this up? I have yet to see DAWN cause premature rust on ANY vehicles ive owned in 15 yrs. I have always used DAWN to strip my wax prior to using Zaino.

Then you go on to tell people to use an adhesive remover AFTER washing the truck. Umm, how do you clean off thr residue left behind? You have now contaminated your protection your about to lay on
    Southern California Lightning Owners Club President
    WWW.MODULARFORDS.COM Your #1 Source For HardCore Modular Tech Information!

2002 Black Lightning #XXXX of 4726
    NLOC # 921

JLP Ram Air
    Autologic Tuned By Swanson
    Zex 75hp Dry Shot ( Not Installed )
    PCM Reflash
    Magnaflow Catback V3.0
    Magnaflow Hi Flow Converter Pipe
    LFP Traction Bars
    LFP Accumalator VB
    LFP Interchangeable Pulley
    Proglass Cowl

2002 SVT Focus ~ One Ricer At A Time

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dish soap causes rust ??? I doubt that. Are you sure you're not using salty sea water to wash the truck ??? ;p ;p
    '03 H-D # 553

NHTOC # 38

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Im not sayin the soap itself WILL cause rust.. but it removes all protection from the areas you cant REprotect. In addition, there are places where you have metal to metal contact (hood hinge for example) where the contact of the pieces actually wears the paint down, at times to bare metal. Then the alkalies in Dawn accelerate the corrosion process and on these bare spots, rust can form more easily. Luckily, most people these days dont keep their cars long enough to see the long term effects.

The dishsoap also isnt pH balanced like most car shampoos either. The adhesive remover will evaporate and leave the paint fresh and ready for protection. If you feel ambitious, you can rewash the truck. This way, you can also control where you remove the wax -- places where you can reapply it. Then you polish and wax like normal.

I have numerous friends in the detailing business and all have agreed on this. I will try to find you documents backing this up.

If for some reason you have a painted piece of metal lyin around .. try it and see.

Pe@ce
    Last edited by 4DoorLightning; 04-01-2003 at 09:56 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Also... When a car is washed in solution that has a pH level higher than 7 the solution can be stripping the oils out of your black trim. Once the oils are gone the plastic constricts and the trim turns white and/or dulls and/or fades. Lusso Auto Bathe pH7, P21S Total Auto Wash pH7.2, Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo pH7, Zaino Show Car Wash ph7.2 and Zymol Clear pH7.1. All are at or close to being pH balanced (University of Arkansas) all are pretty much in the acceptable range.

Pe@ce

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Flatout...

you also might want to get "The Absorber" for drying the truck. Get two (one for wheels and one for paint)

;sfus

GOT BLING?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the absorber? plz elaborate ie where what ?

GOT BLING?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    oh yeah and i see above the quote that a polisher is not required.
    will it however if used as a final buff do any good or not?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you probably won't be able to tell all that much of a difference with using a buffer to bufff off the zaino than if you buff it off by hand. Plus if you use a buffer to put the zaino on, you'll waste alot more polish than just doing it with a small cotton applicator pad

anyway, www.absorber.com
    i used to use them all the time, they work awsome! I've gotten lazy over the winter though and just use a bunch of 100% cotton made in usa towells.
    Absorber is great though, dry a few panels, wring it out, and its dry. repeat until the whole truck is done, put the absorber back in its tube (don't let it dry out) and throw it under the rear seat until next time

the cali water blade also works awsome. just make sure to wipe the blade after every pass, but it makes quick work of drying flat surfaces