Thread: Sub woofer install FAQ & install options 101

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sub woofer install FAQ & install options 101

OK... funny story.. I went through & tallied the PM's I get every week. the #1 question is about sub woofer options besides the JL Audio stealth box...

SO I will do this with a couple stipulations:

1.) You have read & can recite the Audio FAQ...
    2.) You have read & mumble the JL Audio Stealth Box 101 in your sleep & your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/mother is mad

Subwoofer systems are as personal & difficult as building an engine, or a complete show car. What you listen to, how loud you listen, what source (CD? DVD? XM? AM?? FM?? Cassette? 8-Track?), & of course which version of a HD truck (or any vehicle really) you have. So with that said lets look at the '00 & then the '01-'03 trucks.. I have ZERO experience with the '04 SD-HD but the basics apply.

Overall, for all years of trucks the very first question you have to ask yourself is what do I really expect this thing to do? If you are looking to flip quarters off the roof.. then get out the wallet & stop reading. If you want more than a Stealth box then continue. Next question is how far are you willing to go to get that additional output. If you want more than a stealth box's output, you cant do it with stock HU or one amp. Stop reading. We are talking about a $3,000 audio investment minimum to eclipse the Stealth output.. there are too many additional things needed. I am not going into bed mounted subwoofer systems here. that is $10K+ territory.... SO the purpose here is to talk about the INTERIOR option by year for subwoofer systems as a general conversation.

Last thing: Under seat enclosures are simply weird & rarely give any kind of successful output. YES they can be pulled off but they require lots of fabrication skill & time.. not practical. but workable.. PM me if this is what you are thinking.

The '00 Extended/Super Cab HD's... there are realistically 3 ways to get bass in the SuperCab.

1.) replace the stock front console with a custom built unit.
    2.) add a custom unit like the JL in front of the stock console between it & the dash
    3.) Under the rear "jump" seat.

The front console can easily be replaced with a longer console that runs similar to a Expy console (from the dash to the back) or even a little longer almost to the rear seat. You can easily get (3) 10" subs in this arrangement. Even keep the HD console top. Draw backs: requires intricate wood work & fiberglass work to get an OEM look. If you are ok with a carpeted lump that is square & bulky, then anyone who has access to a table saw & an air nailer can put (3) 10's in a SuperCab...

A console/box between the OEM console & the dash. This is where beating the stealth is tough. a 10" can be mounted here, but the time & fiberglass work is significant. I know few pro-installers who can out-do the Stealth with this box.. if you need the stock console & want more than the Stealth... look under the rear seats, unless you have deep pockets & really want to pay a shop to do the top notch work.

Under the rear jump seats. Q-Logic & other companies make boxes for under the rear jump seat. Will they out perform the Stealth with a Pre-Fab underseat box... not likely. A good installer can use wood & Glass to create a very slick box with 2-3 10" woofers (relocate the jack stuff) under that rear seat. Or 2-12's

last thing on the '00 NO NO NO NO NO NO you cannot build a box to fit behind the rear jump seat or under the front seats.. forget about it....

'01-03 S-Crew... this is where things get interesting...

1.) Full length custom console from Dash to rear cab wall
    2.) Custom rear console to replace the OEM HD piece (popular)
    3.) Custom rear wall replacement behind the stock seats with 3rd center seat or console.
    4.) Under Rear seats (give up folding seat mechanism)
    5.) Custom rear seat riser with 3 chairs on top

Full length console: going from the dash all the way back to the cab wall would net all kinds of room to make (4) 10's or (3) 12's work no problem. Reuse the front & rear console lids. Down side.. LOTS of wood & 'glass work to make look OEM. sculpt pockets & trays for "stuff" add some windows.. on the sides or top.. BLING.. the space between the front & rear OEM consoles is just enough to slip a 10 or 12 in there... if the console is one piece not an add on box (there is a pre-fab box for that space for a 10")

Custom Rear console.. HD4mula & others have this one down. Fits inside the stock HD OEM rear console.. up to a 12" add windows or what have you.. great output! when built properly & matched to the sub & amp.

Custom rear replacement wall behind the seats. the area behind the 2 OEM rear seats is triangular shaped. Nearly 0" at the window down to almost 6" at the floor. so an Average of about 3" of depth to the actual cab metal. The subs would need to be mounted low to get the mounting depth. Cosmetically the enclosure would be replacing the rear cab wall interior panel, so it will have to wrap to the door jam, this require fabrication & 'glass work. but the overall area is 56" wide, 22-24" tall & then sloped front.. netting roughly 2.5-4 cu-ft depending on construction technique... so 4-5 10"(48"-50" of width) or 4-12" (48" of width) are possible. Realize a few things here planning & design execution are the key... the 2 OEM seats could still fold & work normal. Properly texture coated or vinyled it would look stock

Under the rear seats: ok first disclaimers: You will NOT be able to fold the seats. PERIOD. you wont get thunderous bass form the 8" subs that will fit under each rear seat. This requires TONS of custom fiberglass & wood work. Read that: EXPENSIVE if you pay to have them made.

With that said. If the rear seats don't need to fold. a primarily fiberglass & a little wood enclosure could be made to fit under each rear seat. A good.. no GREAT installer could pull it off.. it requires cutting away the stock carpet under the seats. Only 8" woofers can work here. 10" are too deep & there is not enough air available. This is great for someone who needs the rear console storage space. Not going to out do a stealth with this set up... ain't happening. Also be aware of the excursion of the woofer.. (Xmax) & allow for clearance (see below)

Custom Seat riser for 3 rear seats: OK MAJOR disclaimers:

1.) this requires welding of a metal frame for the seats to be mounted to.
    2.) Federal,State, & local safety laws come into play. Especially if you have young children riding back there.
    3.) there must be a loss in head room to do this correctly so no 6'+ passengers in the back...

that all said.. First measure the distance from the floor to the bottom of the seat cushion on each side f the stock seats, make a note of the measurement. take everything out of the back. Cut the stock carpet at the forward seat track mounting bolts all the way across the truck. Now reinstall ONE seat with its stock mounts & folding mechanism. measure again to factor in the carpet thickness FRONT & REAR. this is your rough riser measurement. You will then fabricate, out of 1" mild steel square tubing, a frame. NOTE: you actually may want to build in some "tilt" for the rear seats by making the front of the riser taller than the rear by as much as 3/4-1". From the stock far right seat bolt to the far right.. then straight back tot he rear seat mount & back left to right.. basically you re creating a frame that is the height you measured with the carpet out. It will extend the full width of the truck. Tabs to mount the seats are next. Floor mounts etc... Now install all the seats to the metal frame work. Check fit, location, etc. adjust & final weld the riser frame. Now its time to skin the riser. this can be done in 16ga steel or wood or a combination of metal, wood, & fiberglass. Woofers can fire straight up into the seat bottom cushions. Leave at LEAST 1" between the woofer cone & the seat bottom. If you are using a high excursion woofer.. you will need to check the "one way XMax" measurement provided in the spec sheet. this is the distance (in mm) the woofer goes ONE WAY at full throw.. double this measurement for clearance. If skinning the riser in wood, drill & tap the riser's metal frame work for machine screws. so if you have to disassemble something it will go back together. Seal everything with silicone caulk.

When done this gives you a safe, solid, 3-rear seat mount & a custom enclosure under them. If you really want to get crafty add Child Safety "LATCH" loops tot he riser frame for bonus points..

So there it is.. a year by year break out of what can be done... Obviously there are billions of major surgery options like cutting out the floors under the rear seats, going into the bed, etc...

Enjoy..

Rob W.

Name: Mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Custom Sub Box

I saw a custom sub box that fit into the exiasting rear center counsil. It was a bottom firing sub that was molded to fit perfectly into the bottom of the counsil. I saw this at a store called Tweeter, but cannot remember the manufacturer.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    its the JL Audio Stealth..

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I pulled off putting one 10 kicker cvr under my rear left seat . The box has almost 1 square foot ... .8 is the min required by the company . Im not getting tremedous bass by it ,but it sounds good enough . I only spent around 40 bucks on material and it took me 2 after noons to complete.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ROB,

would this fit behind the rear seats behind the stock wall?
    JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 Subwoofer systems