Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd rear seat install: HOW TO w/ pix!!

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

3rd rear seat install: HOW TO w/ pix!!

Yes, this is a "drill-and-bolt" mod but hope this will help future DIY avoid some snags. Thanks to sealevel for the seats, HOGWYLD, ravenhawk, o2moneypit and HIM8NICE for install tips...spared me a lot of agony (and expense). Here it goes:
    STEP 1: Remove the rear center console (don't think pictures are necessary).

STEP 2: Remove the metal bracket that console is bolted to. Use a drill to remove the spot welds on 3 tabs (1 front, 2 rear) and not the hammer-and-chisel option I did . Link to pictures of my BUTCHER JOB and the factory holes in the floor you will use:
    http://nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthread....hlight=5seater
    To access the 2 rear tabs, the black plastic wall needs to be removed. Then use sealer of your choice to protect the holes in the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STEP 3: Disassemble your new bucket seat: separate the seat from the back. You will appreciate the lighter weight when you do your TEST FITTINGS.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STEP 4: Remove the ROUND BAR between the seat frames (gently push the frame apart and the bar will pop off). You will need to cut this bar so that you can utilize the holes already drilled by FORD

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STEP 5: Cut 1/4 in from both ends of the bar and reattach to the seat frame. Now you have the correct space between the frames. Special mention to HIM8NICE and 02moneypit for this tip

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STEP 6: Do a TEST FIT and everything should line up perfectly. I am horrified to think that I was going to drill several NEW holes and then find a fix for a BLIND mount
    Thank GOD I got HIM8NICE's tip before it was too late! I actually did not know exactly how to remove the round bar until 02moneypit explained how.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STEP 7: Install the seat belt anchor on one end and the male portion on the other. FORD also has mounting holes already drilled, use the side that will match the anchor you have (it has an L-shaped tab that goes into a square hole)

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STEP 8: Do the same for the "male" portion of the seat belt assembly. NOTE: The holes already have "SLEEVES" in them and though NOT THREADED, you will cut new threads as you wrench on the bolts. The anchor comes with a bolt already attached but you will need a new MATCHING bolt for the other side. BTW, sealevel sent the anchor and latch from his DSG...I bought the belts.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STEP 9: Reassemble the seat to the seat back. Position seat and tighten the bolts for the rear legs. You can reuse the factory bolts if you got them or you will need 4 10mm hex head bolts, 1 1/4 in long. 2 holes already have threads, the other 2 have sleeves.

STEP 10: Position the front legs (check from the side so its angle will match the other 2.) Use tape to mark where your opening in the carpet will be. (another tip by HIM8NICE) Drill your holes

NOTE: 02moneypit removed both factory seats and also removed the carpet. Gave him more room to work with but MORE IMPORTANTLY, he re-sealed his entire floor and then put sound deadening material for a coming audio mod. PERFECT time to do so, IMHO.

TIP: The hole in the right has been pre-drilled by FORD. Crawl under your truck and you'll see it. Punch a hole thru it and use it as a reference for the other 2...pretty much guaranteed you will line up with the other 2 seats.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STEP 10. By now, you have discovered that there is a HUMP in the floor, where the MIDDLE hole is. This creates a "gap" under the left & right mounting tabs. MY FIX: one inch long, 3/8 diameter steel sleeves, with flange to fill the gap (look at TOP RIGHT of pix). I cut 1/4 in off the sleeve I used for the right , 1in was perfect for the left.
    Also put washers (tip by HIM8NICE) inside and outside to reinforce the thin floor.

For the FRONT, I used 3/8 in, 1 1/2 in long bolts with nylon lock nuts. Chose this because: the sleeve I found fits a 3/8 plus the store I went to did not carry GRADE 8 10mm bolts.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    An underside shot: this is the hole on the right (pre-drilled by FORD). Also put washers here to help distribute the pressure of the nut/bolt

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    STEP 11: Install plastic covers over the front mounting tabs and your install is DONE! Notice how the angle/slope of the front legs line up

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A shot from the side to show how height of seats lines up and how the seat back also lines up.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Final shot of the new 3rd seat folded forward (head rest will hit the front console a bit). IT WORKS!!!

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The finished product (I know, the color of the center seat is darker & shinier) Not too worried about this, it will scuff/fade to match later. For $25 to dye it vs. $500++ for OEM seat covers , the choice was obvious for me.
    When you're buying a 3rd seat, try to get as many of the factory pieces that go with it:
    1. seven (7) 10 mm bolts
    2. plastic covers for front mounting tab
    3. seat belt anchor & latch. If not available, you can buy federally approved lap belt kits for under $30 shipped from this site:
    http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/nonresebe.html
    belts come in 3 lengths: 60 in. 74in, and 90 in. (if you think you might have soome big dudes back there)

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Great how-to's man!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast