Thread: Bell tech Shackle & Hanger kit arrived.. interesting stuff in the box

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bell tech Shackle & Hanger kit arrived.. interesting stuff in the box

OK Bell tech 6419 4" shackle & Hanger kit arrived today.

included is the following: 4 new U-Bolts. 2 new red urethane bump stops. 2 forward hangers. 2 new rear shackles (very different from the 6400 2" shackles). All the hardware (grade 8). & (GASP) 2 pinion angle shims.

Get this: NO INSTRUCTIONS at all... except for the "carrier bearing realignment plate install" for a new GM truck

So... I am headed to Bell Tech's website to find instructions...
    --My momma always said, opinions are just like Butt-holes everyone's entitled to one, but not always entitled to show it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rob, I am real curious to know what the difference is between the rear shackles Thanks...
    NHTOC # 21
    2003 10th Annv Torch Red Convertible Cobra

Predator/Runnin With The Devil
    Billetflow 2.76, idler and 4 Pulley Kit
    LFP Ported Blower
    LFP Heat Exchanger
    K&N FIPK
    LFP Brisk Plugs
    Bassani Catback/Catted X-Pipe
    LFP/Kirban Shifter
    MGW Shifter Handle
    470HP 481.5tq new KB numbers soon

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Laugh richo... a lot less than I thought...

Richo & everyone...

the 6419 shackle & hanger kit comes with the same 6400 2" shackles you buy seperately!!!

So basically My hunch was right... hangers + their 2" shackle = 4"

Bell tech was really nice, faxed me the correct instructions right away. Supposedly sending a free t-shirt for my trouble... just the offer was nice in my book.

So tomorrow, my sinus infection not withstanding... the rear gets done...

Oh, & no I don't have a spare set of 6400's ;)

St. Louis Harley gets the new set I wont use...

report hopefully with pics tomorrow PM

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did you get your instructions?? I just installed mine yesterday and it is low. It is a challenging install with the front hangers. Send me a PM with your fax # and I will send you mine. HB

PS the rear is a bit too low for me, I only have about 2" travel and bottoms out over a pebble.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HB

which of the 5 holes did you use on the rear shackle?

Bell Tech was very nice, the faxed me the instructions in under 10 minutes of my call & offered to send a t-shirt for my troubles..

I am going to try ot break away from work early & do mine this afternoon.

I am going to start with the 3rd or 4th hole & see where I end up. The 2nd hole is the same as stock (or within 1/2").

I have the digi-cam all charged up & ready.. I will take pics of every stage.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Make sure you have some very good drill bits. A 1/2 inch drill will work the best. You will also need some good chisels and punches. The hardened steel rivets are the hardest part of the job! Some people torch or sawzall the heads of the rivets off first and then use various size drill bits in small increments. Good Luck!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is some work to get the hangers off. I helped HB do it and we were using shop tools. The easiest way for us was to use a grinder and grind the ribbets down even and took a air power punch to get the ribbets out. Get ready to spend some time on it especially if your doing it yourself!! I heard the hanger kit is not the best way to go since you will lose tow capacity. But thats what i heard plus you are lessening the frame strength when you are taking the stock hanger off. See what other options you have first before you put on the hanger kit that will lower it that low but just like hb said you are going to be bottoming out alot with only 2" of travel between your axle and bump stop. I would call HB and talk to him before installing so you know what you are getting into.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smile hmmmmm

HB did you use the supplied red urethane bump stops?

AS for the hangers... I guess I have the inside track.. I used to work for a Truck Accessory shop. All I did all day long was lower & raise GM, Ford & Dodge trucks... I have my die grinder & air hammer ready

Towing capacity? lets see rated at 5,000, I only pull a small open car trailer 2-3 times a year maybe 3,500 total. I am good.

I am worried about the bottoming though...

My day is shot anyway... gotta post pone to Friday now...

;b