Thread: Upper Pulley removal/reinstallation.

Yeah... I drive fast.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smile Upper Pulley removal/reinstallation.

The removal/reinstall is much easier if the vehicle is completely cold.

1. Wrap the snout of the supercharger directly behind the upper pulley with two layers of tape to prevent the pulley removal tool from marring the supercharger snout surface.

2. Loosen and remove upper pulley set nut using the 10mm socket.

3. Remove the supercharger belt from the upper pulley using a ½” socket driver inserted into the belt tensioner just below the intercooler reservoir.

4. Remove the rubber intake boot. (Optional)

5. Insert ¼” x ¾” hex head into supercharger snout. The bolt is used to protect the blower snout during pulley removal and will spin freely.

6. Carefully slide the JLP pulley removal tool over the pulley. The handle on the tool should be vertical.

NOTE:
    ENSURE THE PRESS BOLT IS CENTERED OVER THE HEX HEAD BOLT. MISALIGNMENT CAN CAUSE SEVEARE DAMAGE TO PULLEY AND SUPERCHARGER SNOUT.

7. Tighten the press bolt by hand onto the hex head bolt in the snout.

8. Place ¾” socket with ½” socket driver onto the press bolt and move to the driver’s side of the truck.

9. While holding the pulley removal tool handle, slowly tighten the press bolt to remove the pulley. Once the pulley is removed, remove the small bolt from the end of the snout.

10. Place a light coating of anti-seize or 3-in1 oil onto the tip of the pulley snout. This will prevent heat buildup and expansion of the JLP pulley during installation.

11. Place the pulley onto the press assembly (AutoZone part OEM#27031) and screw the pulley assembly into the blower snout. Do NOT overtighten.

12. When using the press on tool. DO NOT 'double wrench' the press as it WILL back the bolt out of the snout and could damage the threads. Best bet is to turn the press nut 5 -10 times, back it off, tighten the bolt in the snout, then repeat.

'Double wrench' means to turn the snout bolt and the press nut at the same time. Best bet is to hold the snout bolt down and only turn the press nut. Periodic checking to ensure the snout bolt doesn't back itself out is strongly recommended.

13. Verify the hub of the pulley is flush with the tip of the blower snout.

14. Reinstall the drive belt or install new belt where applicable.

15. TEST DRIVE!

Additional Photos of the pulley kit.

Bob

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good info !

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Very nice
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anyone have anything to add to this because I will be changing mine out Monday or Tuesday.....Thanks Garrett

jpanchalk
    Name:

As an alternate to that whole kit, a power steering pulley tool for a Crown Victoria can also be used (if they don't have that kit for whatever reason). It's the exact tool pictured above, but I found out it's impossible to explain to clerks what you need if they don't have that kit.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I want my pulley...

PiMpInDaSoUtH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i waNT MINE TOO!!! do you have to have a programmer when u put the new pulley setup on? also, when should i get aux pulleys?

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anyone have a Lightning UPPER they want to part with?

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DATS TTRAH! View Post
    i waNT MINE TOO!!! do you have to have a programmer when u put the new pulley setup on? also, when should i get aux pulleys?
    better to do a lower than an upper, unless you're doing it for bling, or got it for free. The bigger HD upper = more belt wrap = less slip.

Aux pullies can be added any time. If you're getting a lot of slip better to add them sooner, but I never added one until my very last motor and never got too much slip without one.