Thread: Monitor Res. Question

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Monitor Res. Question

I'm looking to change out my headrest monitors and I got a question that I'm sure someone in here knows the answer...

I’m looking at a couple different monitors. Some of them are Active Matrix TFT LCD and others are High definition low-reflection TFT / LCD monitor. Not sure if there is a difference besides the wording. The other concern is the resolution. What is the difference between these two examples?

336, 960pcs (1440x234 dots)

384,000pcs (800x480 dots)

Seems the 800x480 would be a better resolution picture being that it has higher pixs, but I’m not sure how the horizontal / vertical lines work. Which one would be better? Thanks

Mods:
    2/4 Bell-Tech Drop, Alpine IVA-D900 HU, ICON 7" Headrest Monitors, Alpine V12 Amp, Alpine Component Speakers, Billet Upper & Lower Grille, K&N Intake, Altezza Taillights

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    there is not a definate answer as to which one has better resolution, it matters what size the screen is. also, screens that have more dots horizontally seem to usually give a better picture, that is why screens are starting to become more rectangular (horizontally) than the standard square shape they used to be. i would say that the wider screen would have better resolution considering that it has many more dots horizontally but then again, they could be spaced way out. what at the dimensions of the screens and brands? ill let 2002greyhdf150 correct me if im wrong but this should get you started.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    7" widescreen (16:9) Most all the headrest monitors I've looked at have one of the resolutions I've listed above. Some are less, but I yet to find one better.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here are a few brands:

SAVV 7" Widescreen - LM-S7800W (1440x234)
    http://www.savv.com/products_monitor_7800.htm

Directed Electronics 7" Widesceen - HMV700 (1440x234)
    http://www.alarms.com/rse/monitors.asp

Eiger Vision 7" Widescreen - EVP-70H (800x480)
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/imezak/evp70h.html

Then theres Accelevision, Farenheit, ect, ect...I can go on.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    9144 is dead on.

Although the video end of this stuff is fairly new to me, Rosen, Savv, Directed all make very nice products

Alpine has some awesome Active's as well.

Rob W.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I found these statements online. Not sure if it’s correct, but it does make since.

“Monitor resolutions are quoted in pixel dimensions. Monitors have different "resolutions," like 800x600 and 1024x768. These are just width and height measurements in pixels (pixel dimensions). There are recommended pixel dimensions for the various sizes of CRT monitors, and LCD monitors have native resolutions that provide best results. The actual ppi (pixels per inch) resolution that your monitor displays at is determined by two variables, the physical size of the display and the monitor resolution setting (pixel dimensions).”
    “So, a 17 inch monitor set at 800x 600 will have less pixels per inch (less resolution) than a 15 inch monitor set to the same 800 x 600 display setting, because the same amount of pixels have to be stretched over a larger area to fill the larger screen. To get the effective resolution of your screen (the actual ppi resolution) you would need to divide one of the screen setting numbers by the corresponding dimension of your display view area in inches. For instance, a 17 inch monitor with a 12 inch horizontal display area measurement set at 1024 x 768 would yield an effective resolution of about 85 ppi (1024 pixels divided by 12 inches).”

“The number of pixels that can be displayed on the screen is referred to as the resolution of the image; this is normally displayed as a pair of numbers, such as 640x480. The first is the number of pixels that can be displayed horizontally on the screen, and the second how many can be displayed vertically. The higher the resolution, the more pixels that can be displayed and therefore the more that can be shown on the monitor at once, however, pixels are smaller at high resolution and detail can be hard to make out on smaller screens.”

So with this info, I would determine that the 1440x234 screen would have a “better” quality picture than 800x480 even though the 800x480 has higher resolution dots.

Example:
    7” widescreen (16:9) has a viewable screen around 6” x 3.75” with a 1440x243 resolution.
    1440 / 6 = 240
    234 / 3.75 = 62
    240 + 62 = 302 / 2 = 151 ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

A 7” monitor with the same viewable screen with 800x480 would have a resolution of 72ppi if you use the same formula. So you would a better quality picture with the first monitor because you have more pixels per inch even though the second monitor has more dots over all.

Sound about right??
    I feel like I’m back in math class. Please raise your hand before you answer and take the gum out of your mouth!!