Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blue Ridge Parkway Run / Tweetsie Ghost Train Event

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Blue Ridge Parkway Run / Tweetsie Ghost Train Event

This is a FRESH post for this event.

The Plan....

This is a combined Blue Ridge Parkway Run and Tweetsie Rail Road Ghost Train event. I'm thinking that some folks will be working so how about we plan for a Blue Ridge Parkway run on Saturday, Oct 9th. The Tweetsie RR Ghost train is open on Friday or Saturday night for those that want to attend or take the kids.

Some folks are familiar with the Boone/Blowing Rock area. So if you plan to get a hotel and arrive early (say around Wednesday, Oct 6th.). You need to get your reservations in now. They have a couple of new hotels in Boone that are very nice. Hotel rates during the week are much cheaper than the weekend. Plan your vacation days accordingly... Hotel information is at the end of this thread.

OK, so much for the jibber jabber.. Here is the vision I had right after my nightly wet dream.

- Folks arrive sometime between Wednesday and Friday, Oct 6th-8th. All that arrive during the week can hook up for breakfast, lunch, HAPPY HOUR, or dinner at one of the local hotels or "choke-n-pukes". There are a few live band places. Guess it all depends on if you have kids. I plan to be in Boone on Wednesday. Anyone EAST of Raleigh-Durham that wants to hook-up and cruise together let me know.

- Saturday Oct 9th, say around 1-2pm (or later if you want), we start the Blue Ridge Parkway Run. Everyone can vote on the distant they want to travel. I figure about 100 miles round-trip would be cool. Plenty of site seeing, picture taking, etc etc. Bring a pic-nic basket and well have sammiches next to a cliff! (No base jumping please..)

Post your comments here....

I think my cell works in Boone. Call if needed.. 919.426.3380/3382

Hope to see alot of folks there. If this turns out to be a blast. We can make it an annual event.

YEAH!!

Map Info....

Boone is a nice little town nestled right in the mountains. Other locations near Boone are: Blowing Rock and Grandfather Mountain. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs right thru Boone..

Boone is a college town also.. Alot of students...

Having a ton of Harley F150s sitting on main street in Blowing Rock would be cool! That little town get's alot of tourist..

Hotel Info....

Hotel and Tweetsie RR Ghost Train Information for any that need it...

Fairfield Inn & Suites
    2060 Blowing Rock Rd.
    Boone, NC
    $89.00 Weekdays
    $129.00 Weekends
    *Indoor Pool, free breakfast

Hampton Inn
    1075 Hwy 105
    Boone, NC
    $99.00 Weekdays
    $149.00 Weekends

Quaility Inn
    949 Blowing Rock Rd.
    Boone, NC
    $79.00 Weekdays
    $139.00 Weekends

Holiday Inn Express
    1943 Blowing Rock Rd.
    Boone, NC
    $85.00 Weekdays
    $142.00 Weekends
    *Outdoor Pool, free breakfast

Days Inn
    Hwy 321 South
    Boone, NC
    $? Weekdays
    $161.00 Weekends

Tweetsie RR Ghost Train
    Fri. and Sat. Night Only!
    $20 per person (under 2 years old FREE)
    Starts at 7:30pm - 11:00pm

Possible attendees...

Del and Family (Wife and 2 boys)
    Ayrton and Dbl G
    aflac-jack
    Dan_d_glassman
    Wildhog
    George (local guy w/ 03' black)
    02HarleyD

Hope to see everyone there....
    -Del
    2002 Flamed DSG (Tarzan) and 2001 Black DeerSlayer (Jane)

Terminators are people too.....

Ford Guy
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sounds great, count me in.
    Mark
    02 DSG
    03 Mach1
    88 LX
    69 CJ

Got Duck?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    as before....me too!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Afraid I won't make it this time Del. Oct 9th is the 1st meeting of my Saturday MBA class. Be sure to toot the horn as you pass through Shelby.

I'd much rather be heading up with you guys.
    NHTOC # 68 2002 DSG

FTVB & deep pan - awesome!
    Front and Rear Hellwig swaybars, bilstein shocks, Denso IT20, Column pod w/ Autometer ultra-lite boost gauge, K&N panel, Retrax tonneau, slotted/dimpled rotors & Hawk HPS pads, LFP e-fan, LFP heat exchanger, 170° Stant t-stat

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Huh?

MBA? Is that a Master Beer Assassin?

What do I know? I'm just a beer and coffee filter anyway... he he he

No problem, maybe next time... I know I'll be going back next year.

-Del

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pumping back to the top. Oct 9th is fast approaching..

-Del

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is an update that will affect the Blue Rudge Run on Saturday. The Blue Ridge Parkway was washed out from the hurricanes. The announcement is below.

We are still planning on doing the Tweetsie Railroad Ghost Train event and we will ride up the parkway as far as possible to check out the damage. Either way, were gonna meet at one of the local eateries to meet all the folks that make it.

-Del

This is the announcement - http://boonenc.com/brpkwy.html

FLOODING AND ROCKSLIDES CLOSE SECTIONS OF PARKWAY

Date
    September 15, 2004

The remnants of Hurricane Frances crossed the region on September 7-9, causing multiple rockslides and completely washing out some portions of the Parkway in western North Carolina. Estimates of damage to the road and visitor facilities is over $11 million.

Current road closures are as follows: Milepost 317 near Linville Falls to mile 325, from Milepost 344 at NC 80 near Marion to Milepost 355 at Mt. Mitchell State Park, and from Milepost 412 at US 276 south of Mt. Pisgah to Milepost 443 at US 23/74 near Waynesville. Mount Michell State Park is accessible from Asheville via the Parkway, but not from NC Route 80.

In addition, the entire Linville Falls recreation area, including picnic area, campground, and visitor center are closed for the season.

The major rockslides and most severe damage occured between Milepost 322 and 349 and some of this portion of the Parkway may be closed for up to a year.

The Folk Art Center at Milepost 382 and the Museum of North Carolina Minerals at Milepost 331, the Parkway's two year-round visitor centers, did not sustain damage and remain open for the visiting public.

Full engineering assessments are being made by the Federal Highway Administration which provides assistance for emergency Parkway repairs and work will be initiated shorly thereafter.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Del, we can hop the parkway in boone and head north is far as you wish. It seems to be all good through there, in addition there are some beautiful pull offs for photo ops.

Like I said before, if I can assist with anything just let me know.

I look forward to meeting everyone....

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sure thing Wildhog! I wasn't sure where the actual washouts were. They only listed mile markers.

Got my Tweetsie tickets in the mail yesterday..

-Del

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've got to bail guy's, my buddy is racing in the Rolex series in Alabama on the ninth. I wasn't sure if he would be winning enough points too. But lo and behold.. Damn. Prototypes rule....
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where are you planning to meet saturday for the cruise? I fly out of asheville wednesday to fly to Olklahoma to buy HOGWYLDs 02' Harley. Me and the family will show up saturday morning so i can show off my new truck. and cruise with the rest of the people that show up.

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey Longshot,

We can all meet in Boone at the Wal-Mart parking lot and start from there. I think that is the easiest place to find. Everyone knows where Wal-Mart is located.

I plan to finalize everything this week. Me and the family leave for Boone on Wednesday. We are staying at:

Fairfield Inn & Suites
    2060 Blowing Rock Rd.
    Boone, NC
    $89.00 Weekdays
    $129.00 Weekends

If anyone has questions?

My cell numbers are: 919.426.3380 or 919.426.3382

P.S. Gratz on your purchase! I'm sure Hogwyld is happy that someone on the forum purchased his 02.

-Forrest Buttry (aka Del)

THA MAC
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    HI Fellas! Hopefully I'll be able to attend. Be sure to post detail about meeting place for Sat. I will leave Spartanburg Sat. morn and meet you guys. Hope to see you there.
    Kevin Haydock

02 HD Black--397hp-517tq
    Mods:Predator,C&L inlet pipe, Straight Shot 95mm MAF, 6lb pulley, 160 thermostat, Accufab TB, FTVB w/4x4 pan, Magnaflow Cat-Back.BELL-TECH 3/4 or 5 on a HD PER BELL-TECH
    BEST E.T. to date 8.428@83.814mph.1/8
    13.300@102.48 1/4

1993 Cobra #526
    347 Dart block, AFR 205 heads, BIG solid roller, Victor intake, Demon Carb, Pro fogger NOS, C4 auto. 10 pt. cage, all stock interior not a gutted race car.
    Best E.T. to date
    actual time to come, but Built for 5.90 index class

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sweet, looks to be a nice get together. Flathaulin and Longshot glad to see your coming also. Longshot, I bet that will be a sweet truck.

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If it's ok with everyone, we will meet at the

Wal-Mart in Boone, NC

- Saturday Oct 9th, say around 1-2pm (or later if you want), we start the Blue Ridge Parkway Run. Everyone can vote on the distant they want to travel. I figure about 100 miles round-trip would be cool. Plenty of site seeing, picture taking, etc etc. Bring a pic-nic basket and we'll have sammiches next to a cliff! (No base jumping please..)

Note: I'm most likely gonna be looking for some breakfast grub Saturday morning. There is a nice breakfast place just up the street from Wal-Mart heading toward Blowing Rock on the right. All are invites to attend that are already in Boone.

I think I may get a bigger memory card for my camera. I'm not sure that 120 pics will be enough. he he he

Another note: Make sure to read the hotel info if you need to stay overnight. Most of the room rates were confirmed about a month ago.

-Del

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast