Thread: Recharging Air Filters

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Recharging Air Filters

Anybody got a good how-to on this? i know its pretty easy and the recharge kits come with instructions, but i've never done one before and my AF1 filter is overdue. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated so i don't over-oil it, or not put enough on

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

EN-V-me
    Name:

just buy a k&n recharge kit and follow the instructions they are the best way to do it. and when oiling it just spray the oil till it turns light pink

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I have the K&N recharge kit sitting upstairs. i read the instructions and it seemed pretty easy, just looking if anybody had any tips or tricks to doing it

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Josh,

The most common mistake is over oiling, so use less than you think you need.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i just did mine, first i did a real fine coat and let sit for about an hour by then you can see any areas you may have missed. after i finished i let the filter sit over night to let the oil dry up some. note that the instructions say to recharge like every 50k miles but my truck has only 16k. oh yea i thought my filter was red until i cleaned it with the solution but it was the oil that was giving it the color

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Harley#356
    I have the K&N recharge kit sitting upstairs. i read the instructions and it seemed pretty easy, just looking if anybody had any tips or tricks to doing it
    I would definetly let it sit overnight as somenone else stated, over oiling is VERY common. Besides it wil drip off if you let it sit in your engine bay. you do not want that to happen.

Take it outside in the evening wash it and blow dry it dry. Then what i do is do a light oiling and use a hair drier to start the drying process for about five minutes. Then let it sit over nigght and install it in the morning. Id rather do it with a light oiling and do it more often, dont forget to reinstall it the next morning.

2005 Ford F250 Diesel, lariat

8" Fabtech lift
    38" Toyos
    Amercian Racing 20x10 wheels
    Nfab steps

**** starter
    Name: Jon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oiling the K&N filters after cleaning them is a common misconception. As much air as our engines take in, the oil can be drawn off the filter and cling to your MAF, throwing off your air/fuel numbers, directly affecting the performance of your truck.. I know this from first hand experience from having to have two new MAFs for my vehicles because my dealers were nice enough to claim a problem under warranty. However, i recently found out that you can clean off the MAFs with carb/choke cleaner and it will clean the contacts but not destroy the sensors. Most manufacturers now are recommending that oiled filters not be used.

Also, never use a hair dryer on any aspect of cleaning, Even though you might have thoroughly cleaned your filter, and kind of forced air on the filter might embed particles into your filter that could later be passed into your motor.

hope this helps.
    garage: a big block, a diesel, and a german.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with Jon. If you oil it let it sit a few days and put a stock one in while it dries...or have a backup. Oiling is not to bad if you don't overdue it. Also you don't need to clean it 100%. the filter traps more crap dirty then clean...to a point. The dirt acts as an added filter. I believe it is written like this in the recharge kit too. It will mess up your MAF and that is a fact. I know of several people who did this same thing even after I told them the deal.

Master Procastinator
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The thing that got me on the K&N directions was the "One pass for every pleat" . . . Does that mean that they want you to spray it 50+ passes!?

How would you know if you over-oiled it?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    one pass for every pleat! that would definately be overoiling.

The best way to figure it out is just do it. I put the filter on the end of a post in my yard, and lightly sprayed the oil on it. Let it sit like 10-15 minutes, came back and felt the filter, there was barely any on there and it was still white from when i just cleaned it the day before and let dry, sprayed it again with the oil, covered a little more this time, let it sit again, came back and it was mostly pink with a few whiter spots. hit those spots real lightly let it sit for another 15 minutes, wiped the oil overspray off the rubber at the bottom with a rag, put it on the truck, and waited til the next day to drive it or start it up.