Thread: Boost Guage

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool Boost Guage

NEED HELP ON INSTALLING A BOOST GUAGE ON MY 2002 DSG HARLEY TRUCK. IT IS A AUTOMETER BOOST GUAGE WITH A COLUMN MOUNT. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE SUPERCHARGER CONNECTION ON THE INSTRUCTIONS. IT CAME WITH BRASS FITTINGS, BUT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO CONNECT TO A RUBBER NOSE COMING OFF THE SUPERCHARGER. HELP ANYONE!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The brass fittings are for the back of the gauge itself. The hose that came with the gauge will fit into it. There should be some of the fitting already threaded onto the back of the gauge. You can use this without any of the other supplied brass fittings for your install. Be carefull when you unscrew the brass nut on the back of the gauge, because there is a small brass "barrel" inside. Dont loose it. To install the hose to the gauge, you must remove the brass nut from the gauge, catch the small barrel, and then 1. slide the nut onto the hose and next 2. slide barrel onto the hose. 3. Thread the nut back onto the gauge. The nut and the barrel will make an airtight compression fit to the gauge. Once you get the gauge all mounted up, run the hose through the dash and out to the engine bay. Be carefull not to kink the hose. You will need an adaptor to fit to the factory nipple. I used an Elbow adaptor 1/8" X 5/32" that was perfect. There is a black cap on the factory nipple that you need to take off. Make sure you have plenty of hose and then trim it to the length you need it, and then simply use the adaptor to plug it all together to the factory nipple. Done!
    9" lower, MOTOBLUE Aux Idler upgrade, C&L upper plenum and Inlet pipe, JLP Ram Air, Accufab TB, 160 stat, LFP 58" tracbars, Hellwig rear sway, LFP intercooler, LFP E-Fan, FTVB, L&S oil separator, Bassani Cats and Cat-back, 1-2 drop, ARE bed cover, BedRug, SS rollpan, Dual pillar pod w/Autometer Ultra-Lites, Lightning tails, grounding kit, flame pinstripe delete, Hidden Hitch, Eclipse AVN5435, JL Audio, Viper 791XV

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I posted this elsewhere but it's a great tip for the autometer gauges..

A tip for the brass fitting on the back of the gauge. I installed Autometer Ultra-lites. The brass ferrel on mine kept pinching the airtube sideways in the fitting.

To correct this issue, I used a finishing nail slight smaller in diameter than the tube to keep it aligned when I tightened it down.

1- Insert the airtube through the brass fitting cap.
    2- Insert the airtube through the brass ferrel.
    3- Insert the airtube with ferrel into the female brass fitting that connects to the rear of the gauge. Make sure that you push the airtube in as far as it will go. This will give you the proper depth.
    4- Finger tighten the brass cap onto the brass female fitting.
    5- Insert the finishing nail into the female brass fitting from the gauge side. It should go into airtube with ease. Since the nail head is slightly larger than the rest of the nail. It will not go all the way into the airtube.
    6- Using (2) appropriate size closed end wrenches, tighten the brass cap onto the female fitting. Don't tighten it to much or you may damage the brass fitting threads. Just make sure the ferrel is crimped nice and tight onto the airtube.
    7- Remove the nail and UN-tighten the brass cap from the brass female fitting. Slide the brass cap back up the airtube a little and inspect the brass ferrel. The brass ferrel should now be crimped to the airtube nice and tight but NOT pinching the airtube closed or cutting it. About 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch of airtube should extend past the brass ferrel on the end.

---airtube---brass cap---ferrel--->

Now your ready to run the airtube to the engine bay and install the gauge. There is no need to put a brass fitting on the other end of the airtube. You can install the brass female airtube fitting into your gauge (using teflon pipe tap). Once you have the gauge fitted and ready to install, just find airtube end with the brass cap and ferrel attached and connect it to your gauge.

Note: Don't bend or pinch the airtube or your boost gauge will not read correctly. If you MUST have a bend of more that 90 degrees. Go buy a brass elbow and install it into your gauge.

---airtube---brass cap---ferrel---> <----female airtube to male brass fitting---> Gauge

Hope this helps...

-Del