Thread: A brief moment of fame

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wink A brief moment of fame

Born on 03/07/02

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Way cool ...were you the sniper? That's some good shootin. Now that job would definitely be an adrenalin rush! I've alwaysed been curious, how often does a swat team get called out for a task? I would think that most confrontations don't escalate to that level that often. Good work out there and be safe....lotsa wackos in this world.
    George

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Awsome!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, I'm not the sniper. Our team is broken up into three man assault teams and I run point on our team and also serve as the less lethal and gas operator.

On that event that's pictured, the sniper had to run about 60 yards to a tower, climb to the second floor via a ladder, run out onto a platform, load one round and take that shot in an off-hand position with no bipod, etc. Our sniper completed that part in 42 seconds. The disc pictured in the article is actually not ours, his was dead center perfect. We were *extremely* proud of him. We were middle of the road throughout the whole competition, but we placed 5th out of 26 teams in that event.

Anyway, after the sniper made his shot, the rest of the team ran to the shoot house, made entry and assaulted four rooms with two hostage taker targets per room, grabbed the rescue dummy and hightailed it back to the finish line, which is what we are doing in the pic.

SWAT's a lot of fun, but I maintain that I only do it because I'm not smart enough not to. Really, the good part about it is all the training we get to do. I never enjoy a call-out. After being shot once, I more aware of my mortality then I used to be.

As far as call-outs, we probably average about 10-12 a year. Larger cities like Dallas or Fort Worth average probably that many or more a month. Basically, we respond to stuff like barricaded persons, hostage situations, warrant services that involve a high degree of danger, etc. It's usually a LOT of sitting around and waiting. One of the big ones we get are suicidal persons baricaded in their house. Either the person or a relative will call us and then the guy won't come out or won't put his gun down, etc. Those are tricky situations because we are bound by law to prevent the person from harming themselves so we have to be there. Yet, we're not about to make entry or do anything to escalate the situation. Something like that, we form a perimeter and will wait hours and hours until they are negotiated out. SWAT is nothing like the movies!

I will say this...those of you who live in Dallas are well represented. They have one of the highest speed teams I've ever had the pleasure to be around.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Awesome Jeff! That's gotta be nerve rattling at times.

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That is great Jeff! Now this is what I like to see from our law enforcement folks. Great teamwork translates to great rewards. Being on teams like this always pays off.

Maybe you will make Chief one day...

-Del
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Del
    2002 Flamed DSG (Tarzan) and 2001 Black DeerSlayer (Jane)

Terminators are people too.....

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Way cool.. I like to hearing your enthusiasm about your job..

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys for the comments, though I don't know about the whole chief thing!