Thread: another pully question

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

another pully question

Has anyone dynoed an unchiped HD with a 4 lb L lower? In theory this should result in the same overall boost as the stock L (plus a tiny bit more) and arguably the same engine output. However, with the L 4lb lower alone, does the HD end up with the L's engine output? +40 HP and 25 TQ?

Boostin' Daily.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: another pully question

Originally posted by mmeyek
    Has anyone dynoed an unchiped HD with a 4 lb L lower? In theory this should result in the same overall boost as the stock L (plus a tiny bit more) and arguably the same engine output. However, with the L 4lb lower alone, does the HD end up with the L's engine output? +40 HP and 25 TQ?
    I've just started reading here, and unfortunately there's alot of different opinions on the subject so far. I too want the Lightning's output, with no chip.

There seems to be speculation as to the pulley naming sequence, since the Lightning upper pulley and the HD upper pulley are different, so no "one" pulley fits all.

I guess I will just keep it stock until I can be sure.
    NHOTC #23
    2002 Supercharged Harley Davidson Supercrew DSG - Fast Daily Driver.
    1985 Turbocharged RX-7 GSL-SE "Cosmo" 13B-RE - Much, Much, Faster Weekend Racer.
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Convertible bone stock - Weekend Cruiser.
    1998 Sea-Doo GTX-Limited too many mods!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There is a bit more than just the pulley difference between the HD and an L. Not only is the upper pulley larger, the HD has a two piece drive shaft, and a longer exhaust. We also have a bigger heavier tire and wheel combo to spin up before we put power to the ground.

From everything I have been able to read, which is a lot, you would have to go to a 5# pulley to get about the same amount of boost as a stock L. The tuners say DO NOT do this without a chip, and I am not trying to disagree with them.
    At the same time, I have seen quit a few L owners say they are running a 6# with out a chip, and "so far" they have not had any problems.

The fact is, not all trucks are the same. Throw 10 stock trucks on a dyno, and you will get ten different readings. There are way too many variables to give a blanket rule on how far you can go without a chip.

ken800 gives some in depth thoughts in a couple of other pulley threads on here. Take a look around...

Click it ^