Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: (2) 10w7's

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    do you guys think that choosing btwn two 12w6's and two 10w7"s is my best option considering what I stated about my situation above....

if so tell me why you think one option is better than the other... THANKS GUYS!!!

P.S. I wish I could give something back to this forum but Im nowhere near as good with stuff as everyone here.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i have 2 10w7's firing down... sound good with most rap/hip hop..depends on the music u listen to really.. i think JL's have a wider freq response, but Rob can be more specific with that...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you cannot defy the laws of physics. Cone area X input power = total output.

Yes I know the 10W7s are the schiznt & that they have a slightly better excursion, BUT For Irish's (dude what is your first name?) he is fighting a budget versus overall output demand crisis. He is looking at Pre-fab $75-100 boxes & $300ea woofers. Gotta go with cone area because the deflection & distrotion of the cabinet is going to give up lots.

Additionally I am fearful that the 10w7's with a 500/1 on each would obliterate the boxes he is looking at in just a few days.

Irish, I have a way for you to be "all paid" up if its really a concern for you (joking).... Save an extra month or 2 & have a custom box built. Quit looking at crappy Ebay-boxes, buy (2) 10w7s, another 500/1 amp & 300/4 & enjoy. (2) 10w7's are going to be cheaper to build a down firing box for that will fit more easily.

there one paragraph, that's what you should do, but you budget won't let you unless you hold out a while.

Rob W.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thats not a bad idea.... how should I tell the installer how to build the box? a.k.a. how should it look? Just give me some design ideas. Maybee some pics? Ive seen r126's box and its nice but I dont really like how it looks (NO OFFENSE R126, I HAVE BEEN TOLD B4 THAT I HAVE WIERD STYLE PREFFERANCES).

P.S. My name is Robby. ;w

P.P.S I still feel like there has got to be another way for me to acomplish my goals with the money I have ($2000).

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    $2000 for what? an additional 500/1, (2) 10w7's & a box? Does that include the install labor for the amps & other speakers? or is your install labor above that?

500/1 $439 on sale

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...x?CategoryID=1

10w7 $499 ea

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...?CategoryID=18

so there you are at $1500 before the box & install labor.

12w6v2 $339 ea

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...?CategoryID=18

saves you $150 per sub....

I am telling you, any decent installer can take the HD4mula plans & increase the overall length & width slightly & remove the console completely, cover it in GOOD black carpet & you wil ahve significantly better box than any pre-fab.. if they can't do that for $500 there is something wrong.

If you want fancy cosmetics, amplifier racks, lighting & such.. that would eat up all of the $2,000.

Bottom line you can buy the extra amp, the (2) 10w7's, delivered to your door for $1,500 leaving $500 for a good basic box (lengthened HD4mula) done for $2,000

Rob W.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you are "gutsy", try ebay:
    JL 500/1 ($320): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...731879272&rd=1

10W7 ($425): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...731733735&rd=1

12W6V2 ($399): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...732364723&rd=1

We all know the chances we take when buying off ebay. Good luck!! BTW, bought all my a/v stuff USED from ebay (no problems!!)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Alright, now were gettin somewhere!

It seems as if the (2) 12w6's will be cheaper then the setup with the (2) 10w7's.... So I guess now all thats left to decide is if will there be a huge difference between the two or not. I have to weigh the performance with the price. If running the two 500/1's on two 10w7's isnt going to be any better than the two 12w6's then theres no need to spend the extra cash. But on the other hand, If Im going to see a big improvment with going with the w7's then I might need to go for it. What ya think..?

Will it be ok if I have the subs facing up? because it will cost alot more to have them face downward because I want to be able to see them. With them facing down the installer would have to have plexi on top and he has to spend alot of time on the inside of the box so that it looks nice. (aka more $denero$)

I already know how much it costs for the (2) 12w6's or the (2) 10w7's buthow much would this stuff add up to about:

- price to build the box we are talking about
    - install labor of the box the two 500/1's with all of the wiring
    - wires needed for install of amps and subs

What were you saying about an amp rack?(like where would you put one?)

Will I need a faradcapacitor thingy?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ebay is not the way for me... I need warranties for my dumb self.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    robby, you can go off my plans if you want, you know where my pictures are.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I dont think I know where they are, but I am very interested to see what it looks like. I havnt seen many boxes in harleys.

Robby M.

EDIT: NVM, I FOUND THEM!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    heres my box.. just some ideas for u to look at robby

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...threadid=14138

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    toss up... there are arguements either way. the 10w7s will have better overall power handling at the limit. The 12w6's mechanically will have the ability to give more output (more cone area)....

costs for install..

basic rectangular box for (2) subs $500 covered in matching carpet & contoured to look nice... just keep in mind most shops charge about $175-200 to build a standard box for (2) subs. So a "console style" box takes a little more.

amp install: typically $40-60 for 1 amp & usually 1/2 that for a 2nd at the same time. This includes running the wiring, mounting, & tuning. They should not charge the same for both amps. They are only running wires once & there for they are only mounting & setting the gains.

wires: you will need (3) rca cables (roughly $30-50) , minimum 2ga power wire kit with distribution blocks ($75-100), speaker wire ($25), misc shop suuplies ($25) that's the way most shops will bill it out. So roughly $200 in parts/wires

stiffinening caps... I am not going through that whole dissertation again... go here:

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...threadid=13017

& read every single link... there is a HUGE amount of info in that thread.

Rob W.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybee I should just give in and go with one 12w7 or 13w7 with a 1000/1 and be satisfyed. Id save some money on the subs and the box will probally be easier(and cheaper) to make.

Now its a toss up btwn the (2)10w7's with 500/1's and a 12w7 or a 13w7 with a 1000/1. I just dont know...

jotay21
    Name:

Oh my god man, you are more indecisive than my wife. I didn't think that was possible. I don't think you will get more performance out of a single 12-13w7 than you would out of two 10w7's. I think that they will hit the deeper bass a little better, but boom factor would be reduced a little.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    CONE AREA

this si why vehicles in SPL competitions use multiple woofers instead of a couple 15" or 18" woofers.

Robby... for cryin out loud.... you don't process things well do you?

Forget about the budget for a minute & LISTEN TO ME

if you flatten a speaker cone to a flat circle...
    (because I know I will fry your brain with the parabolic cone equation)

10" woofer = 94.2 sq" of cone area
    12" woofer = 113.02 sq"
    13" woofer = 132.67 sq"

2 x 94.2 = 188.4 sq" of cone area for (2) 10" woofers....

1 x 113.04 = 113.04 sq" of cone area...(1) 12" woofer.

2 x 113.04 = 226.08 sq" of cone area (2) 12" woofers

etc etc etc

its so simple I am about to throw my freaking computer.

Now factor your budget.

Just go to your installer & tell him you want the maximum hit for $2,000 & walk the freak away for 2 days.....

You are thinking us to death.

Rob W.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast