Thread: 03 HD please help

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

03 HD please help

*I have read nearly every link, forum and or post but have not found a solid answer*
    My question is that I have a Black '03 and am having problems with choosing performance upgrades. I have my audio system complete and now am looking towards performance. Currently I am all stock with respect to the engine. I have (2) JL 300/2 for the doors, (1) 1000/1 for the sub, Alpine IVAD900, and a custom fiberglass enclosure for a 12w7. Heres the problem. This pulls approx 180 amps and my lights dim of course. I understand that my charging system is what 130 amp? so this is my weakness. If I upgrade to a 200 amp alternator and add a 10" pulley and predator as planned what effect will this have overall??? some say this will eventually burn up the alternator bc it is turning too fast and others have told me that this upgrade will hurt performance.
    Please help me with suggestions...from dual battery setup, larger alternator, capacitors (2002GreyHD150 will be upset) that I should look into.
    Keep in mind that I am doing the 10" pulley with a custom tune from JLP along with some other items.

Thanks
    Chris

sorry if i posted this in the wrong section

GOT BLING?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    man, I am running a JL 250/1 and a 450/4, SRK5 center amp/speaker, e-fan and all the LED's and gadgets you could think of and I get 0 dimmage. how is the quality of the wiring?

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    everything is JL. its a 200 amp fuse in the engine bay and pretty sure 2 awg all around. I had everything installed by the same place that installed the system in my '01 although i had a capacitor in that setup but much less amp power. in either case i have no idea what to do bc some people say 2 batts, others say alternator and JLP says no alternator. this really sucks i get a nice system together and now i cant use my truck how i want.
    any suggestions

Chris

audio listed in above post. please help

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also am looking into the stinger 5 farad cap and yellow top battery but dont want to waste the money if it wont fix (i know its not a 100% fix) my problem. but if that will solve my problem without changing the alternator i would definitely go that route. also when i upgrade my pulley wouldnt that turn the alternator faster?? producing more output? not too sure about all that.
    Thanks
    Chris

GOT BLING?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All I have is a 1 farad cap on mine and have no issues. FOr the funds you may want try the cap first since they are Kinda reasonable for a small one. Try a little one if it helps then go big if need be. just my 2 cents

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i got a MMATS 1400 and two solo L7's..1 farad cap, no dimming

Coolest Member of NHTOC
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ACWALSH8,

I think you need to look again at the pulley setup on these trucks. There is 2 seperate belts on our trucks, one is a normal serpentine belt that turns all of the accesories (water pump, alt, power steering, ect.). Then there is another belt that only turns the blower. Changing to a 8" or 10" or whatever lower SC pulley will have no effect on how fast the alt turns. Now as far as the lights dimming, I have a yellow top optima, I am running a JL 300/4 and a 500/1 and I get some dimming too, so I would like to know the answer to this question too!!
    '03 Two-Tone #00664
    Born on 11/25/2002
    395 RWHP 493 RWTQ

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a phoenix gold 500.4 and 600.2 amps and have some dimming. I added a 1.2 Cap about 4 feet from amps - the closer the better. But before I added the cap, it almost dim completely. BASS TAKES POWER!!!! You should be able to put a bigger cap for reserve power for the amps.