Thread: time to zaino

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

time to zaino

This one is for Harley#356...

I have a box of zaino products in the garage and I want to zaino the truck, but don't have time right now.

I know a dawn wash is in order first...

I have Z1, Z2, ZFX, Z6 and a claybar...

How long to Clay once, Z1 once, Z2/ZFX twice, then Z6 once?

If I have an idea, I will ask my detailer to do it for me and agr6ee up front what the charge will be...

Thanks

Ken

Indestructible!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Now Vapor,
    Don't try and steal Lucky4770 and My personal detailer.:p He still has to come over here to Delaware and detail Our HD's So.....Josh, When were you coming down again?lol

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ken800,
    How many coats of Z2 are you going to have him do?

I did not use ZFX so it took an entire day (85 degree temp) to apply 1 coat and I did not claybar, just used Dawn. I waited about 2-3hours for the Z1/Z2 to dry. Over the course of the weekend I added another 2 coats of Z2 and Z6.

I know ZFX is faster since you don't have to wait as long between coats.

Using ZFX, I would not expect more than 4-6hrs to wash, claybar, Z1/Z2 and Z6. Z6 is just the gloss enhancer so it goes on in a few minutes. Spay on, wipe off.
    2005 Harley-Davidson Roadglide

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    How long to Clay once, Z1 once, Z2/ZFX twice, then Z6 once?

well 1st i did a dawn wash, took me about 20 minutes and didn't bother to dry the truck.

clay took me about 45 minutes to an hour to do. never did it before, so i kinda took my time.

Then i rewashed to remove any clay or soap/water lube from the paint....about 20 minutes and 10 minutes to dry it all

Then for one coat of polish with zfx, including buffing it off, i'd say maybe an hour a coat? not totally sure though, never timed myself :p might take a little less if you dont' go wacko like me and do the bed, doorsills, underrside of hood and all that stuff :p

and you should z6 after every coat of polish. it only takes about 5-10 minutes max to do a coat of z6, just spray it on and wipe it offf...just a quick detailer.

Hope this helps some, if you have any other questions, just post em up

Maximus Horsepowerus
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks, Josh...

Maybe I'll just try to knock it out myself...

Ken

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ken, with the weather being like it is, that sounds like the perfect project for you on Saturday. The clay bar deal depends on how much crap you have embedded in your paint. If your paint is pretty smooth, like Josh's truck, it doesn't take too long. If you have any acid etching, sap, tar, bugs, etc, it will take a while longer to clean the crudd off. Regardless, it's not that hard, just time consuming.
    I can't help ya on the Zaino stuff. I'm still trying to get some myself...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by TimG
    So what is the "proper" way to d the claybar... what I was doing is spraying on the liquid, then slowly moving the clay bar over the paint in a slow sweeping pattern.
    Can I move it pretty fast or what?
    /tg
    Well, I'm not sure I did it "by the book", but I just used the bar like I was wet sanding. I squirted a a small area, and used even pressure with moderate speed, stroking back and forth.
    You want to go up and down on the hood, not across the grain. I have always been taught to go the same way the wind travels across your paint. Not that the wind has anything to do with it, but this gives you a visual of what direction you should go.

Just so you know, Zaino says go up and down on the sides. I guess the choice is yours...;)

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    yup, i always go forward to back on the top surfaces (hood tonneau roof) and top to bottom on all the side surfaces (door, fenders, tgate, etc)
    it does make a difference, and i do this whether i'm washing, drying, dusting, quick detailing, applying, or removing polish.
    the idea behind this is 1, you won't get as many of those spider web looking swirls if you manage to get some of those, and 2, the way the light hits the truck, it reflects off the paint and hides the defects or swirls best if you do up and down on the sides. its hard to explain, but it makes all the difference, especially for applying the polish