Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on baggin my truck

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need some advice on baggin my truck

Well i have had my 2000 harley davidson edition f150. I have recently done a belltech 3/5 drop and i couldnt be more unhappy with it. Me and belltech are through. Just wondering if anybody here had any pics of a 2000 HD bagged. The thing about it is though that i really dont want to cut into the bed. Ive been told the air ride technologies rear suspension gets really low, rides, and performs great. That sounds alot like what im looking for, since ive recently started working on making the truck faster im also going to need the added traction. Does the air ride kit give you better traction and ride. Another ? is can i keep my stock tires, i would rather not go to a lower profile because i think i would bend a wheel. Any additional advice, info, and pics would be much appreciated.
    Daily driver: 2001 Mustang Cobra- Eibach suspension, Tokico struts, Maximum motorsports full length subframes, 4.10 gears, MGW short throw shifter, JLT cold air intake, Bassani X-pipe, Bassani Catbak, full sound system

Project ride: 2000 Harley truck- Belltech 4/6 drop, custom 5 point rollcage, ATI procharged, custom built (billet) blower bracket, polished P1SC, custom built kooks longtubes, custom built 3in Xpipe, black MB motoring 22's, 42# fuel injectors, 90mm MAF, 255lph intank pump, 3.73 gears, built tranny w/ PI stall, full show sound system

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    OK...here we go, I'll dig up all my pics of Bagged 00's tomorow.

For the rear, there is nothing better than the KP Components 6-Link Bag Setup. It is 100% bolt on except for the Notch. If you are not wanting to cut your bed, thats fine, you just wont be able to lay frame. But you WILL HAVE to put in a mega C-Notch, Not just your average notch, and box in the frame about 6 inches ahead and behind the notch.

For the Front, (Since Laying Frame isnt that important to you, go with Shockwave's from Air RIde Technologies. Make sure and use all SMC PTC(Push-to-Connect) fittings and DOT air line (commonly used as Air-Brake line on big rigs.

FOr an Air Managment system, NOTHING is better than the Air Lift Company Engine Driven Compressor.

For Valves, I have had VERY good luck with Parker, SMC, GC, and ODE valves, they are all good valves.

Now on to where to buy all your stuff, you can get 100% of it at www.suicidedoors.com and they have the best prices.

-Patrick

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You should talk to Rob...
    ...I'll try to find his handle for you...
    #2256 built in 3/26/02 - 6# lower, 377HP/483TQ before the Whipple.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Hoffmann
    You should talk to Rob...
    ...I'll try to find his handle for you...
    This is the men you gotta ask your question...

2002GreyHD150

NHTOC #: 55

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ive heard you can lay frame with shockwaves and a super C, but i really dont want to cut into the bed. Shanker is the 6 link setup better then the air ride 4 link?

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Takes Pats advice here, ive herd nothing but VERY GOOD things about the folks over at suicidedoors.com. For a lot of very useful info on bagging, surf on over to www.fordtruckworld.com, and in the suspension forms is a post called, "Bagged Trucks 2.." or something to that effect.

Originally posted by shanker
    OK...here we go, I'll dig up all my pics of Bagged 00's tomorow.

For the rear, there is nothing better than the KP Components 6-Link Bag Setup. It is 100% bolt on except for the Notch. If you are not wanting to cut your bed, thats fine, you just wont be able to lay frame. But you WILL HAVE to put in a mega C-Notch, Not just your average notch, and box in the frame about 6 inches ahead and behind the notch.

For the Front, (Since Laying Frame isnt that important to you, go with Shockwave's from Air RIde Technologies. Make sure and use all SMC PTC(Push-to-Connect) fittings and DOT air line (commonly used as Air-Brake line on big rigs.

FOr an Air Managment system, NOTHING is better than the Air Lift Company Engine Driven Compressor.

For Valves, I have had VERY good luck with Parker, SMC, GC, and ODE valves, they are all good valves.

Now on to where to buy all your stuff, you can get 100% of it at www.suicidedoors.com and they have the best prices.

-Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Originally posted by 00harleytruck
    Ive heard you can lay frame with shockwaves and a super C, but i really dont want to cut into the bed. Shanker is the 6 link setup better then the air ride 4 link?

yes, essentially it is the same parallel 4 link design with a panhard rod to locate the axle, but it also has 2 more cantilever bars coming off the rear where the air spring is mounted.

If you dont like the minimal side-to-side axle movement with a Panhard rod, a Track-Locator would work well, although there is no *kit*, it would have to be a fabbed unit.

Here is the Cantilever attachment:

and here's the 4-link

I like the KP kit over the Air Ride kit because it uses Bellows rather than sleve bags that are mounted to the axle itself. You'll get more lift and what I would think a superior ride, plus it would be considerably quicker.

Dont get me wrong, Im not hating on the F9000, but they only have 1/4" ports and 9" of lift, and the way that kit is designed, that is a 1:1 lift ratio so you would only have 9" of total suspension travel (which would definately be enough).
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
    Thomas Jefferson

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

traction

I dont think i can use an engine driven compressor due to the fact ive got an ATI procharger on my truck. which rear setup would give me the best traction. Im goin to go to suicidedoors.com today and look around maybe even learn something. Any body have any pics?

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    I would assume that the Air Ride kit would provide better traction because of the way that the springs are mounted directly behind the axle, they are F9000's mounted in a 1:1 position.

If your going to go with Electric Compressors, a couple of Viar 450's should work nicely.

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    would a 5 gallon tank be enough or would i need more. How far will i be from laying frame with the air ride kit. Man thier is all kinds of good stuff on that suicidedoors.com website. Sorry bout all the ?'s but now ive got another one. My truck is mainly about performance, how is the performance of a nice bag setup versus a drop like mine. Will i notice alot of body roll or what.

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    with a good 4 way air setup, you wont have any air-transer and therefore no more roll than a conventional setup.

I would assume that you would lack about 2-3 inches to lay being that you dont want to Cut the Bed out.

5 gallons should be enough as long as you dont plan on playing with the switches every second. 5 gallons isnt alot of air.

Procharged
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    how do i know if its a 4 way setup. Thats means f,b,s,s right. Is the air bar/shockwave from air ride a 4 way setup. And where should i order my compressor/tank/line setup from? Also im not that concerned about speed so i should use 3/8 line right?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    real quick for now more later:

the KP is more for the "trickseter" type who wants to show off & use the up/down side/side lots & lots.

the Air Ride does not require cutting into the bed.

the airride is more of the everyday, not so regular showing off. But it can be used for showing off with some upgrades.

more later.

Rob W

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Originally posted by 00harleytruck
    how do i know if its a 4 way setup. Thats means f,b,s,s right. Is the air bar/shockwave from air ride a 4 way setup. And where should i order my compressor/tank/line setup from? Also im not that concerned about speed so i should use 3/8 line right?

yes, that means FBSS, you'll have 8 valves, 2 for each corner.

3/8 line with 1/2 SMC valves would more than likely be perfect for you. Quick enough to be up to ride height in seconds and slamed in seconds, but not too quick to where you cant dial in your height.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ok I have some time now to answer some more...

Here are pics of the Air Ride system installed on an '02 DSG.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...&threadid=6774

Now... the Air Ride (AR) system you choose the compressor(s), tank(s), control, line & valve system.

Everything is based on how you want to use the system. I want excellent ride, load carrying capacity, lowered look, & the abilty for it to look sooo SWEEEET parked. So speed UDLRSS is irrelevant to me. I just dont care to do hops, & show off rollin' down the street.

For some people the UDLRSS is the important part. Then you need dedicated compressors & tanks, minimum for front & rear. Always remember tank size is not everything. not is line size. 1/2" line is more for competition showing off. Too big of a tank, the compressors will run all the time, too little, same problem. 5gal tanks with a dedicated compressor will be lightning fast with good valves. For UDLRSS the valves are the key.

Controlers can be manual or the Ride-pro-E which can set ride height when you turn on the key & dump to near laying frame with the key off.

So overall its about WHY you want to bag your truck. Answer that question & then you can choose the system that works best for your application.

I like the fact that (2) 5 gal tanks can bolt inplace of the rear shackle mounting point under the bed of our trucks. I like that there is a nice place between the #2 & #3 rear crossmemebers for the valves, compressors & line connections so everything can be under the bed. The fact that the AR system is totally bolt in with no fabrication & has a warranty is a HUGE selling point for me. Lastly look at the major vendors, who does nearly EVERYONE not doing bags go to? Air Ride Technologies..

Rob W.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast