Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: F 150 Recall

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

F 150 Recall

Cruise control fire starter, Twisted fire starter.....
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Cold as Ice
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What years????

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    F 150 Expy Nav 00-01
    Auto burn, I new I should have ordered mine with the sprinkler system.......

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ford Recalls Part On Thousands Of F-150 Trucks
    Cruise-Control Switch Said To Cause Fires

POSTED: 12:30 pm EST January 27, 2005

HOUSTON -- The Ford Motor Co. announced a safety recall Thursday for a part that could cause fires underneath the hoods of several popular Ford pickup trucks and SUVs.

AP Image
    Ford F-150

An exclusive investigation by Houston television station KPRC first reported about the problem.

Video

Popular Ford Models May Spark Fire When Not In Use

The federal government is now investigating a problem with the vehicles' cruise control deactivation switch.

The recall, issued Thursday morning, affects the following vehicles:

2000 model Ford F-150 truck
    2000 model Ford Expeditions
    2000 Lincoln Navigators
    Some 2001 Ford F-Series Supercrew Trucks
    (built through Aug. 7, 2000)

Ford says its F-150 pickup truck has been the best-selling truck for 27 years straight.

So far, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating 36 cases involving vehicle fires -- 11 of those cases are from Texas.

The automaker said it would notify nearly 800,000 owners of the recalled vehicles at the beginning of February via postal mail. Owners can also contact the company's Customer Assistance Center at (800) 392-3673.

Owners who have experienced similar vehicle fires should report them to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at (888) 327-4236 or via their Web site at www.nhtsa.dot.gov.

Houston Attorneys File Suit Against Ford

Two Houston-area lawyers representing nine clients in three Texas counties have filed suit against the automaker, claiming the speed-control device on the vehicles ignited the fires that destroyed their clients' vehicles and a Galveston family's home.

Investigators determined the 2002 Galveston house fire started inside a 1997 Ford F-150 pickup that was parked under the beachfront home and not running.

"The majority of the fires happened when the car is not in use and the vehicle is turned off. The reason it catches fire is because it's hot-wired like an onboard computer or clock. It has a hot line going to it 24/7," Houston-area attorney Norman Jolly told KPRC.

Jolly said all the cases he's representing are Ford F-Series trucks of different years, up to and including 2000 models. He also said the vehicles were not in use when the explosion occurred.

"The left front tire typically explodes. We've heard descriptions a bomb went off in the garage," Jolly said.

Jolly is suing Ford on behalf of the man whose pickup caught on fire because of the switch, which burned his Tiki Island home to the ground.

Ford Expedition owner Marley Garcia told the station he woke up to a popping noise coming from his garage.

"I opened (the door to the garage) and all this smoke came toward my face. I saw the fire. I panicked," Garcia said.

Garcia, whose Expedition was in flames that had already spread to the ceiling of his garage, began pushing the vehicle out of his garage.

"I knew if (the vehicle) burned any more, it would burn my house down and kill me and my family," Garcia told the station. "I don't know how I did it. I couldn't see anything either. Everything was just black. I was going by feel."

Jolly told the station that the NHTSA's investigation is currently only investigating problems with the recalled vehicles even though they have received complaints on older model Ford trucks and SUVs.

"It's significant because we can see, clearly, the fire in this 2000 Expedition was starting right there in the switch -- the same switch that's installed on numerous Ford vehicles," Jolly said.

A Ford spokesperson told the station Thursday that the company is investigating fires in older model Fords but has not yet reached a conclusion.

On The Net:
    Ford Announces Safety Recall
    Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Cold as Ice
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the info. It has been all over the news this morning

Around When I Can...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dbl G,
    Thanks for the full story. Also posted here:
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...ge+ford+recall

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Any idea how I go about this in England as Ford UK don't want to know about warrenty issues ?

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Even my dad called me tonight to check my truck. Good thing 02s are not included

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hemiuk- ask me or anyone to get you a switch and we shall. musturbo@cs.com

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is this simply a matter of replacing the cruise control switch on the brake mastercylinder?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by JOE RACER
    Is this simply a matter of replacing the cruise control switch on the brake mastercylinder?

Yes, but ford does not have an updated switch yet. The first part of the recall is to unplug the switch and put tape around it so it can not be used. After they get a updated switch, you got to come back and have it replaced. If your real worried about it, just unplug it yourself, its on the master cylinder. You won't have any cruise though. I still can't figure out why ford only recalled the 2000 models, this problem has been going on for years. Seen lots of pre 1997 models with wires fried at the switch.
    03 Silver/Black Harley (stock)
    95 Mustang Cobra (475 rwhp going lean)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There were 2 Expeditions here in Gainesville, FL that spontaniously combusted.

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Damn, Guess I have to check the 01.. I used the cruise all the time and never had any problems. Guess I'll check the wiring. I think my 01 was built after Aug 2000 but will have to check.

It's too damn cold outside to check it at the moment. Got freezing rain, sleet, and snow coming down.

-Del

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Isn't the weather lovely, tea anyone. pip pip..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast