Thread: Update on oil in boot, TB

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update on oil in boot, TB

When I recently installed my ram air I found a whole lot of oil in all over everything. This usually is expected however I had already installed oil seperators so I thought it would be more "old" oil vs. puddles.

Anyway yesterday when changing out my plugs I again had oil pooling up in the boot, it did not reach the MAF or filter and the TB was bone dry. Removing the boot I could see that the driver PCV tube was soaked pretty well with oil. This seems to be the only place the oil is coming from.

I know some people alreay chimed in and said others were running an oil seperator on both sides however I read somewhere on here about unequal pressures at the PCV valve. To my knowledge the drivers side PCV is an inlet not outlet so could I have a problem or is it just normal that the oil will now find another way out??

Can someone help out with whether or not I should install another seperator or just be happy bc its not getting in the SC or intercooler

Thanks,
    Chris W.

These were the old plugs. Gaps were all 44 on passenger side except the front one which was 43 and front to back on the driver side were 43, 42, 44, 42.

Is this a normal gapping (minus the variation) for stock plugs. What causes a difference in the gap besides install errors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    What side do you have your oil seps installed.
    If you have the oil seps installed on the drivers side and the oil is getting past the seps then the oil is still going into your sc and inner cooler. This is because the PCV tube actually goes directly into the back part of the sc right by the IAC. From there it gets sucked into the rotors and into the inner cooler.
    Tazz

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have the home depot deal with dual seperators.

It is on the passenger side. I have about a foot long hose running over to the passenger side of the engine compartment where the seps are mounted. The return hose of approximately equal length goes back to the plenum.

Is this what you were talking about??

I had not cleaned anything out when I bought the truck. Just installed the seps. Then when doing the ram air I noticed the buildup. I know some oil may get through the seperator but it sure doesnt seem like much at all. I wiped everything down last week and as of last night/today no more "new" in the TB or plenum. There is oil in the boot though.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
    Chris W.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I remember correctly stock gapping is .44 on our plugs. The gap can increase over time, especially if you are running increased boost from what I have heard. I will have to leave this up to the experts to give you the skivy on the particulars.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    MY bad Im all mixed up.
    Tazz

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The oil seps need to be installed on the passener side. Iv'e never seen any oil come through the drivers side PCV.
    It's probably old oil.
    Had too many
    Tazz

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    haaaa yea I guess its not such a good idea during the SUPER BOWL.

Not to argue but how could it be old oil if I cleaned it out a week ago??? There was about as much oil in the ribs of the boot as there would be in one of the oil seperators after 1 week of driving. Maybe 100 miles.

I dont know atleast the F'in BEAGLES arent winnning.

Thanks,
    Chris W.

jotay21
    Name:

He said Beagles!! hehehe.