Thread: Smokin

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Smokin

Ok a quick question for you guys? After my 03 has sat overnight and when I start it up it blows a cloud of smoke. Drive it a while and don't see it again unless it sits for an extended period of time. It's an 03 with less than 3,200 miles and I not even had the oil changed for the first time (I've just had it a couple of weeks and the oil change is on my list). From the post I've read it seems that most of you know what you are talking about so I would value your opion.
    Thanks!
    If I'm not on a Harley I'm in one.

Gone but never forgotten
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Must be a diesel.......just kidding . Its an 03 with only 3200miles. Ok so how long does this truck sit at one time, had it been stored for a long time? I would take it for a long drive and put it to the floor a couple of times and see if it is just carboned up a little. Hit the hwy for a little bit. After that I would change the fluids and see from there. Must have warranty, all else fails take it to the dealer.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Other question is, is it smoke? Could be condensation burning off. I leave near the beach in oceanside and I get a lot of damp foggy mornings. I start her up in the morning and she burns off a little water vapor until the cats and engine are up to temp and does not return for the rest of the day.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If it is blue smoke it is burning oil and most likely coming from some rings that have lined up. Rings hace gaps. there are three and sometimes if all three line up at the gap you will get this. A bit of oil from the rings gets into the combustion chamber and runs down and burns upon fire-up. It will self correct after several runs. If not you may have a broken oil ring...... If it is black smoke the fuel mixture is too lean and you are getting excessive fuel through the throttle body. An adjustment will do the trick. Unless you have a BROKEN ring the problems are minor. I f it is a broken ring major engine worl including removing the heads or oil pan and correct piston may be required. GOOD LUCK. I would take it in to a dealer and have a compression test done and a leak down test. MACK
    hamr-2

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would think it due to lack of use and the tune they put on it stock is a bit rich to begin with. I'm thinking its condensation as mentioned above but if you use the truck more frequently then it should go away. The other thoughtis to have it looked at under warranty. Your rings may not have set properly and your breakin period is not actually complete until a good 5K

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I knew I could get a response from you guys. It's white smoke and not much of it - just noticable, no or very little smell and I do not see it at all unless it sits for 4-6 days. I went to Ohio and drove the truck back to TN (about 400 miles) before I even got it home. I'll get the fluids change and try to drive it a little more often.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In this case it is probably condensation. No problem. I f it were a lot and continous it could be a blown head gasket. Major problem but definitely not that

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    after 4-8 days in extended parking @ the airport mine will puff some white steam... nothing to worry about usually

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys I feel better.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thats without a doubt a condensation problem. I would get out of the truck and chck the exhaust next time. You'll most likely see its water. You will see condensation atthe tail pipe as well as if you touch it it will not leave an oily residue on your hand. Check you oil as well to make sure your not seeing a milk shake due to a head gasket but I'm quite sure its nothing