Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Can I Expect?

GetBusyLivinOrGetBusyDyin
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The Predator pulley tune is a good starting point, but many have blown their engines using it without checking for A/F and timing numbers. If it will be a few days before you can get on the dyno, use the Predator to richen the A/F and retard the timing. Directions will tell you a little, but just playing around with it and looking at the various screens and what they allow you to do will probably get you farther.

Yes, the dyno measures HP and TQ, but it will also have what is sometimes referred to as a tailpipe sniffer. This measures your burnt exhaust gases to give you an idea of what the A/F ratio is. Peak HP is obtained at 12.5:1 ratio, but our trucks are safer around 11.8-12.0:1.
    Justin

NHTOC#157 / 03 2-tone #9101
    444 RWHP / 527 Ft-lbs TQ SAE

RIP Fuzion
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1FastScrew,

Whew... alot of info... Okay, I'm going to have to copy all this stuff down and take with me. Thanks alot. So, I've heard that the Predator was the best tuner, is it? or is a chip better?
    2003 Blk HD

384.7 HP / 480.1 Torque

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Which is better is all dependant on what you are looking for. If you don't care about your warranty and don't plan on making substantial changes to your mods after this group you are putting on, then a chip that is tuned by a good tuner on a dyno is just fine.

If you are holding on to hope that you can reverse your mods and get something in your drivetrain repaired under warranty or want the ability to have custom tunes emailed to you as you make changes, then the Predator is probabl y your choice.

BTW, I'm using a Predator and have been for over a year. Never got any custom tunes, just made adjustments on the dyno as needed.

RIP Fuzion
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1FastScrew,

Thanks. I've heard that I should consider a FTVB. What is this? I'm shooting for this weekend and want to do it all at once. If I do the other mods listed first can I add the FTVB later? Or should I just do them all at once. Also, I have been using Royal Purple oil and I've heard that this may affect the oil separator, any thoughts? Thanks for helping me out!

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The FTVB is a Factory Tech (Company that makes it) Valve Body which replaces the stock valve body in your transmission. There are no springs, balls or anything else to mess with, just have to make a mess dumping the current tranny fluid, or punch a hole in the pan and get a 4x4 pan with a drain to replace it (also holds more fluid).

You can add the FTVB whenever you want as it doesn't affect your tune or how the engine runs. Just be sure to set the shift frimness on the Predator to stock. Raising shift firmness with the Predator or any other tune only raises the line pressure which is damaging over the long term.

Royal Purple or any synthetics shouldn't alter the oil seperator, just need to change out the filter in it as you see fit.

RIP Fuzion
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1FastScrew,

what about "maintenance free" oil separators? I've seen that around. Also, in your opinion, am I putting anything in jeopardy with my expected listed mods (sig)? What in opinion can I expect? Thank you again for all your assistance.

Jimmee

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Anytime you start modding for HP you are running a risk. Don't let anyone fool you and say otherwise, there are no "safe" changes. You are adding a 8# lower which should put you near 12-14 lbs of boost in conjuction with the K&N intake. With the stock Eaton you are at the limit of its usable boost range as heat becomes a factor at that boost level. Heat kills HP, for instance the KB I am using will put out more HP at the same boost level as the Eaton because it is a more efficient type SC.

Keep your A/F numbers safe as stated before and the timing as well and you will lessen the chance of there being a problem. If you do a search on blown or vented motors you will find many stories of people who did the same mods as everyone else , but their engine went Kaboom.

As for expected HP results, I'm guessing around 390 SAE or somwhere around there. Enjoy!

RIP Fuzion
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1FastScrew,

I'm on it... Thank you again. I'm feeling alittle bit better now regarding the whole thing. I'll let you know when I'm through and what happened.

Jimmee

RIP Fuzion
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1FastScrew,

Hey in regards to plugs. How many step cooler. Denzo Iridium IT20? Good plug (I believe 1 step lower) or can I just use mine for now, then go... What about MSD or Plasma Booster Ignition?

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just run your stock plugs for now, but regap them to .036. With all the ignition stuff I prefer to take the don't fix it if it isn't broke theory. If you make all your changes and find you are getting spark plug blowout or weak spark, then look to make changes.

RIP Fuzion
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1FastScrew,

Well Breezi set me up with her boyfriend and we're gonna slap this together next friday. I'll let you know the outcome! Thanks for all your help!

Jimmee

RIP Fuzion
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1FastScrew,

Well, did the dyno/tune last night and as you can see from my mods below this is what we got... I'm looking for around 400 HP... What do you suggest? E-Fan, FTVB, Plenum, Throttle body (single blade), and exhaust? For some reason my sig is not showing on this reply... please look above sig.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got a question? I am about to install a 6# lower pulley and a 2.80 upper pulley with a custom chip, how much more horsepower would I gain?

RIP Fuzion
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What sucked is that we couldn't get a baseline for mine, but I'm thinking you would get more than I did... Plus, I had them tune conservatively (don't want to blow anything for as long as possible).

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Originally posted by j1mee
    I'm looking for around 400 HP... What do you suggest?
    E-fan will probably get you an additional 10-15HP. Beyond that, if you could scan and post your dyno sheet that would help determine if you need more mods or a slight tweak to the tune (still staying safe though).

FTVB and exhaust will not do anything for your HP numbers. The FTVB will only help with quicker shifts and that is not measured on the dyno. Exhaust is only beneficial if you start running upward of 450HP and do a full exhaust system. A simple catback will only get you a bigger smile when you hear your truck and others around you do as well.

If the efan doesn't get you over 400 and you really are dead set on getting there (remember its only a number, you will have your hands full keeping the tires planted with the numbers you have now), then the last couple of ponies may be obtainable with a spark plug change. You know my stance on this from previous posts, but there is some documentation from members on this site that they gained 5-10HP with a change from the stock plugs. Not a huge upgrade, but if that is how close you are it may push you over the 400 mark.

The downside is you have a plug that is more prone to being damaged sooner than the stockers (ie: Densos, Brisks, etc.).

My truck didn't take well to the single blade throttle body for some reason, so I took it off and traded it for some traction bars a few months ago. I'm back to the stock one now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast