Thread: Magnaflow Cat Back installation questions

Lappy 486!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Magnaflow Cat Back installation questions

I am not afraid of getting messy or turning a wrench, however I have some reservations about getting this kit and installing it myself. I don't have any contacts w/ people who have a lift and I don't have a garage to do it in, so I'm stuck doing it in my parking lot with jackstands and a jack. Is this kit possible to install w/out having alift? Im worried about the part of tubing that goes over the axle, if I am going to have enough room to angle the pipe up and over the axle with what little ground clearance I have available.

I also don't know of any 'trustworthy' speed shops in this area to do the install for me, besides if its possible to do myself then I can save on the labor charges.

So ... for anyone who's done this themselves. Is it doable?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hey man,

i have the kit myself and i put it on by myself using jackstands, a a jack, some wrenches, and a hacksaw/(something to cut 1 pipe with. It really is not hard....AT ALL! If i would have been able to get the truck up higher, i might have been able to get the stock pipes out without cutting anything...but i was lazy and cut it. It took me about 2.5 hours to get the old off and put the new on. Remember, the new kit comes in pieces so it is not hard to get the new pipes where there are supposed to go (over the axle by what you were saying). This kit really is a great kit and it can easily be put on by anyone. Good Luck!

justin
    2003 Two-Tone Harley Davidson #9192

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Plan on cutting up your stock system to get it out from over the axle. Main problem I had with mine was the factory clamps were tightened down so much it deformed the ppe a little at the exit of the mid pipes. I had to use a cutting disk to slice the pipe and get it off the midpipe. This may put a wrinkle in your plans if you have no way to get yours off.

Sounds like your a little light on hand tools... if you don't have a Dremel with cut off disks you might want to invest.
    NHTOC # 68 2002 DSG

FTVB & deep pan - awesome!
    Front and Rear Hellwig swaybars, bilstein shocks, Denso IT20, Column pod w/ Autometer ultra-lite boost gauge, K&N panel, Retrax tonneau, slotted/dimpled rotors & Hawk HPS pads, LFP e-fan, LFP heat exchanger, 170° Stant t-stat

Lappy 486!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Have dremel and Jigsaw w/ plenty of blades and disks to go through it when I get around to it. I figured that I wouldn't give a crap about the factory setup and cut it up as needed, it was the installation of the new system that had me worried. Nothing like tearing something up, cutting it even, and then not being able to get the new part back on. I did that once with a exhaust header on my old 86 Stang LX. Took it all apart, well cept for the one big bolt I didn't have a tool for... ended up driving to the nearest garage for them to finish the job for me. Not that driving around with straight pipes wouldn't be cool and all w/ the truck, but I would like to be able to finish what I start when it comes to mods.
    Thanks for the help, sounds like I should be able to do it NP, just gota get through Valentines, then it should be clear sailing for mods!

GetBusyLivinOrGetBusyDyin
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The install shouldn't be a problem. As others have mentioned, the removal of the old pipes is what takes a little time and effort. Just plan on doing serious cutting where the stock exhaust meets the midpipes. Of course, try not to damage the midpipes and eveything else is fairly easy. Good luck.
    Justin

NHTOC#157 / 03 2-tone #9101
    444 RWHP / 527 Ft-lbs TQ SAE