Thread: ??? for all using hawk brake pads - Brake squeal

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry ??? for all using hawk brake pads - Brake squeal

I purchased Ruslows slotted and dimpled rotors and Hawk pads about 9 months ago. In the past month or 2 I've been having a tremendous amount of squeal when coming to a complete stop.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to eliminate or reduce this? Is there anything I can spray on the rotors without taking the brake calipers off?

I brought it to the shop that installed them; they said they could do something for it but it would just come right back in a few weeks. I'm glad they were honest because I would've forked over the dough to be rid of the noise.

HELP!!!
    2002 DSG Harley Davidson F-150 #1750 born on 3/20/02
    NHTOC #58
    2.77 upper, Metco 100mm Idler, Boost by-pass, Accufab TB, Phenolic Spacer, TR6's, FTVB and 4x4 pan, AFCO heat exchanger, Factory Tech tranny cooler, LFP oil seperator, Modified JLP ram air, Bassani 2 cat midpipe, Magnaflow L catback, Predator and dyno tune by James at RWTD, Ruslow slotted & dimpled rotors w/ hawk pads, L Bilstein shocks, Hellwig front & rear sway bars, Belltech 1" drop coils, 2" rear drop shackles, Hankook 295/45's, bedrug, snuglid, CF tails, autometer ultralite boost and tranny guages.
    Sold for '03 Cobra

2005 Seadoo RXP - Riva Stage 1
    Nowhere to be found;Katrina victim

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have had mine on since SEMA with Power Slot rotors and have no problem like that at all.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Go down to Napa and buy a bottle of GUNK Disc Break Quiet, it is a vibration dampening compound. Pop off the wheels, pop off the pads and apply this stuff to the back of the brake backing plates and then put everything back together. Make sure not to get it on the pad surface itself. I had that problem with my Broncos in the past and it fixed my problem.

That is all I can think of.

jpanchalk
    Name:

I had (still have) the same problem as you. When I took the Hawk Superduty pads off to inspect, I noticed the squeak plates on the backs of all four were shearing off. Poor quality IMO, and it will be the last set I buy. More brake dust than OEM. I have the stuff Stew is talking about, but since NOV I've had no opportunity to apply it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yep what Stew said... Napa has their own label version made by Permatech that is a little cheaper & works great too.

03HarleyCA your PM is full... look at this thread please, the last post....

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...205#post170205

thanks!

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have the Hawk HPS pads and no squeel. All I hear is the clickity-click of the slots on the pads as I ride past a concrete wall. I painted my calipers and the exposed back part of the pad. Perhaps that had a dampening effect?
    NHTOC # 68 2002 DSG

FTVB & deep pan - awesome!
    Front and Rear Hellwig swaybars, bilstein shocks, Denso IT20, Column pod w/ Autometer ultra-lite boost gauge, K&N panel, Retrax tonneau, slotted/dimpled rotors & Hawk HPS pads, LFP e-fan, LFP heat exchanger, 170° Stant t-stat

Just my Pickup & my Dog
    Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I love the squel!!! My exhaust is loud when I am accelerating and now my brakes squel when I am stopping. Nothing but love and attention where ever I go.

I thank thee.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Go down to a european parts supply store and buy some stuff called "Plastilube"
    I've used all the GUNK stuff and nearly every kind of anti-squeal lube out there in this stuff is the best. Worked great on the Hawk Pads/Brembo rotors combo in my past M3 and M-Roadster. Absolutely quiet from the get-go. It's about $5 a tube and even used generously it'll last 4-5 front brake jobs.
    2002 DSG F150 H-D #8262