Thread: Transmission coolers and temperatures

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry Transmission coolers and temperatures

Put the Factory tech tranny cooler on about a year ago. According to the tranny gauge it really hasn't helped out at all. If i'm in stop and go traffic or just cruising at speeds between 30 & 40, the gauge will quickly jump to 180-190(NOT GOOD), and this is in 65-75 degree weather. It won't cool down until the truck shifts into OD and I reach speeds of 50 or more. The temp. will usually fall to the 165 range when cruising on the interstate.

In the summer when air temp. is 95-100 all day long, it's hard to keep it below 180.

The air temp. really hasn't been higher than 55 for the past couple of months and the gauge would rest right around 150. I didn't expect to see such a jump in tranny temp. when the air temp. is only about 10 degrees warmer.

For those of you with tranny gauges; does this sound normal?

I have the FTVB, 4x4 pan and have replaced the factory tranny fluid with Amsoil synthetic. Don't really know what else to do to keep the tranny temp. down.

Any suggestions?
    2002 DSG Harley Davidson F-150 #1750 born on 3/20/02
    NHTOC #58
    2.77 upper, Metco 100mm Idler, Boost by-pass, Accufab TB, Phenolic Spacer, TR6's, FTVB and 4x4 pan, AFCO heat exchanger, Factory Tech tranny cooler, LFP oil seperator, Modified JLP ram air, Bassani 2 cat midpipe, Magnaflow L catback, Predator and dyno tune by James at RWTD, Ruslow slotted & dimpled rotors w/ hawk pads, L Bilstein shocks, Hellwig front & rear sway bars, Belltech 1" drop coils, 2" rear drop shackles, Hankook 295/45's, bedrug, snuglid, CF tails, autometer ultralite boost and tranny guages.
    Sold for '03 Cobra

2005 Seadoo RXP - Riva Stage 1
    Nowhere to be found;Katrina victim

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What were your temps before you put on the cooler? Or did you put on the tranny temp gauge after you installed the FTTC?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I remember Gregg's comments, since his website is not working... if you are under 200 you are in good shape.

My truck in anything below 50 degree's will never get over 140-150 barely off the resting peg. normal is 165-185 until I get into traffic in 95+ then it tips up toward 190...

read this.. Tim Skeltons site is not working either right now BUT Gregg @ FT chimes in.... about 2-3 posts down... good reading...

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...ght=trans+temp

Also hit the search function type in "trans temp" several discussion s toward the end...

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am about to put in my 4x4 pan and the FTVB with a trans. temp gauge and want to know where to put the temp. sensor?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The temps. before the cooler install were about the same.

Rob, i'm basing my concerns from Tim's breakdown on temperatures. If I remember correctly it says, temperatures between 175 and 195 reduce transmission life to so many miles and temps. between 195 and 215 reduce tranny life to..... and so on. Don't remember for sure what the exact miles are.

I guess I get a little nervous whenever the gauge gets to 180. If Gregg says 190 is o.k., I trust him.

Although it was a cheap mod, I expected allot more from it. I thought it would keep temps. below 180, even on a hot day.

Thanks guys

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    temp gauge install info:

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...ghlight=guages

I wish Gregg's Factory Tech site was up, I think there is a good clear pic of the plug.. you cannot miss it.

02.. I remember the list you are refering to & I was trying to rmember the exact break downs... its the 190-200 range on stock fluids where the real death starts. If you are using Amsoil.. I would think your temps are high given the extra cooler & the synthetic... maybe a PM to Gregg to have him look at this thread?

Rob W

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My 02 tranny temp never exceeds 160 even under summer driving conditions. The only time that it get close to 160 is when it's 90+ degrees out and I'm sitting in rush hour traffic.

I thought that between 120-160 was normal.

I use the electrical Autometer Ultra-lite gauge (shown below).

-Del
    Attached Images Attached Images

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, I found the problem today. My E-fan wasn't coming on. The E-fan relay burnt up causing the truck to overheat along with the transmission. I'm glad I caught it before it really did some damage. I didn't even notice the engine temp. gauge until today. Didn't get a light, just higher than normal. Tranny temp. toaday was about 165 in stop and go traffic; right where I want it to be.

Sorry Gregg, didn't mean to doubt your tranny cooler. Thanks for the PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not a prblem, glad you got it figured out.

G

32V SC 5.4L #001
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also installed the Factory Tech cooler last summer but I took the transmission heater out of the system.

I disconnected the OE cooler in the radiator since it serves as a trans preheater in cold climates but it also assures that the trans temp will usually not fall much below engine temp.

With just the OE secondary cooler and the FT unit, I never saw a trans temp above 160F last summer even in 100+ temps.

For what it's worth, I have an aluminum pan also. I had to do something because the OE 4R100 pan hangs below the frame rails and I have been known to go over speed bumps too fast and bottom out on them so before I even put the 4R100 in my truck I built a custom pan. Same capacity as the OE but not quite as low.

************************CLICK TO VISIT MAD'S SITE************************

'02, 32V, 5.4L #001, 14psi Whipple and a few other mods. 640 rwhp, 610 tq. CA Smog legal

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Install the aluminum Moroso pan and you will find your temp dropping 15-20 degrees!
    aka LeeRandall - NHTOC #25

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Around 150 deg.
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120