Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Towing a Mustang

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Towing a Mustang

Would it be bad on my truck if I towed a Mustang 2100 miles with one of those UHaul tow dollys. I have the 2002hd and it looks like you arent suppose to tow much with it. Help me out withyour knowledge guys.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lot og guys here towing stuff with their trucks. You should not have any trouble as long as the trailer does not weigh a shat load.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the U haul trailers weigh 2000 pounds and the tow dolly weighs 650 pounds and the mustang weighs in right at 3000. I really wanted the trailer but was scared it would be too much on the truck. What do you guys think? Which would be best.

Still Around...
    Name: Ron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Try and get another car trailer,those Uhaul trailers are to damn heavy...

Click Signature Pic For Gallery...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Who else rents them or sales them for a reasonable price?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd take the driveshaft off the car. Mark the u-joints so it goes back on the same way.

Terry

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    towing from WA to where? one way or returning empty?

Your '02 will easily tow a Uhaul heavy trailer & then some..

The tow dollies SUCK because manuvering them in tight areas is tough..

I looked into St. Louis to Dallas 1 way it was over 2/3 the cost of buying a trailer & owning it... guess what I pick up next week... that's right a car trailer

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Towing from Washington to Oklahoma one way. How much does the Trailer you are getting weigh.

SEMPER FI
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Many people tow with there trucks. I tow a boat and or a utility trailer. Have to keep the bed clean. Just try and keep it under the 4500lbs (?) And No racing Hemi's while you tow. Keep in mind your crossing mountains your MPG whill be around silch point S**T.

RIP Blake
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am pretty sure JDM uses an HD truck to pull one of their car haulers.......keep in mind the car hauler is an enclosed type trailer (heavy).

They had an HD and a Powerstroke in Ennis (FFW) with them a couple of years ago....both were pulling these type trailers.

If they can make it to Texas from Jersey with no problems, then you should have no problems either.

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I used my 02 as my tow vehicle for my 85, 00, and 94 mustangs, as i do with my 01 hd. Never had a problem. Use the trailer, not a dolly.

SEMPER FI
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here's a place Or go to a RV center

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=DF&cm_ite=tow

I was a J-HO!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You will be fine. It seems the main limitation for towing is the stock tires. I am moving to Florida and I just towed an 8X20 Enclosed trailer fully loaded from NJ. I am going to guess it was about 7500 - 8000 lbs. Gas mileage was horrible about 6 mpg for 1300 miles. BTW: the gas mileage only went up by .5 - 1 mpg with the trailer empty (3500 lbs). My gas bill was very expensive to say the least. I also have the LFP Mild valve body in my tranny with the 4X4 pan. I have a tranny temp gauge and my temps never were over 170. Most of the trip the temp didn't even register because it was so cold.

Just make sure your truck is setup properly. I have a weight Distribution hitch and I purchased these springs called super springs. They sister your stock springs and only took about 1 hour to install. They are not like your traditional add a leaf. They don't change the ride height or stiffness.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with most of the guys here, I would use a trailer. The U-Haul trailers are heavy but they tow really good. the problem you might have with those trailers is they only have break-away brakes. If you have a trailer with electric brakes then it will be easier on your truck. Your truck with have plenty of power to tow it, the problem might be stopping it with the extra weight behind it. I tow a 64 El Camino with my truck and it have no problem pulling it, but I wouldn't pull it without a trailer with regular electric trailer brakes. So if the cost is no big deal then I would buy a trailer with electric brakes and you will have now problems. Are you moving out of state?? If so, sorry to hear it. Loosing another Harley truck from Washington..good luck

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you are going one way there is no cheaper route than Uhaul, unless you will to again.

Exyample: One way from St. louis to dallas is going to run me $480 for 3-4 days. I can get a really nice used, flat, with brakes, car hauler for $950 or less & I can get aluminum used for about $1,500-$2,000. But towing ab empty trailer back through the mountains would really suck... especially before April thaws.

Your HD will carry a single car or fullsize truck & trailer for uhaul just fine.

Depending on the HD's mileage you might consider having the transfluid swapped for new & maybe synthetic just for extra insurance & install a trans temp guage. Keep it out of O/D

Rob W

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast