Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hey Harley#356 Zaino Tips&Tricks???

Still Around...
    Name: Ron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Harley#356 Zaino Tips&Tricks???

Harley#356
    i can do another to explain the process of how to apply it and tips and tricks if you want.

Click Signature Pic For Gallery...

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i'll hit this thread up tomorrow. don't have enough time to type this up tonight ;)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK, Josh, wheres our tips and tricks? I have always used the theory that is some is good, then more is better. From what I am am reading on the Zaino site, you really should use just a little. How do you use just a small amount on such a big truck. Is the Z6 spray the key to that?
    I just have to get my hands on some this weekend...

Click it ^

Still Around...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Harley#356

for the minimun setup you should get: Z6, Z1, and depending on what color truck,,, z5 for black, z2 for dsg, or both for 2tone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want the easiest way,so I'll do the minimun setup.so from what you say I should buy Z6,Z5 and Z1.Now how do I use it and what order?THANKS...JOSH

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    if you want the easiest way (not the cheapest) then get z6, z5, and zfx (rather than z1). this way since zfx gets mixed with z5 they both go on in one step rather than 2, so its quicker and easier, and it dries alot quicker, so it takes alot less time. worth the 10 extra bucks or so IMO for the zfx rather than the z1

anyway, i'll try and do the tips and tricks up either tonight or tomorrow. just got home from working down the shore all weekend and i am beat! did nothing but drywall, mud, and sand non stop.

just to answer your question really quick N2TRUX, yes more is better, but in steps. You won't get any bettter results by putting the Zaino on thick than you will thin, because only so much will stick, and the rest will get buffed off. No sense in wasting it, so you get the best results from layering the polish. can't do more than 3 coats in 24 hours though with the zfx. needs time to crosslink and bond.
    but anyway, i can do my whole truck (tonneau and all.....excepte the inside of the bed) with just under 1 ounce of polish. it takes a few times to get the hand of, but doing thinner coats its easier to buff off too. i'll post about that when i do the tips and tricks up

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Name: Chris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey, I just noticed that Rob is the moderator of this forum, so shouldn’t it be called the ‘”pimp forum”, or the “king of bling”?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Or..." Hot to detail and generally care for your '77 Coupe de Elegance Caddy "

'03 H-D # 553

NHTOC # 38

Still Around...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Josh,am still waiting...........

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    no worries R126, i'm going to do it today for ya....gonna catch up at ftw, then type up this post. should be up in an hour or so

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    aight, here i go...if anybody else notices something i missed or skipped, or wanted to throw something else in, just throw it up. i can't remember everything. LoL.

since you are just using the Z5 and Z6 and either Z1 or zfx, i'll just type this up for those 3 (4) products.

Overview using Z1:
    After you do the dawn wash (using a 100% cotton wash mit made in the USA) and have dried the truck and are ready for polish, if you are using the Z1, you have to apply a coat to the whole truck, then don't buff it off and go over the truck again using the Z5. when that dries (it'll take a few hours) then you can buff it all off. after you do this, then use the z6 spray on the truck and you are done for 24 hours.
    next time you go to polish you don't have to use the Z1 and you can start with the z5, then apply it , let it dry for a few hours, then buff it off, then hit the truck with the z6.
    you should use the Z1 every 6 months or so.

overview using zfx:
    if you decide to go with the zfx instead because its alot faster, then, after the dawn wash and dry the truck, get one of the 2 oz. mixing containers that comes with the zfx and fill it up 1/4 of the way with Z5. Get the zfx dropper bottle and put in 3 drops of zfx in if its not that humid out and pretty sunny, or 4 or 5 drops if its really humid and/or cloudy out. Get the z5 again and fill the mixer bottle up another 1/4 of the way so its 1/2 full with polish (one ounce). Shake the bottle for one minute so the zfx and z5 mix really well, then let it sit for about 5 minutes while you get your other stuff ready.

after it sits then shake it up again really quick and you can get to work applying it (tips for that towards bottom of this post) by the time you are finished doing the whole truck, you should be ready to buff it off. if not let the truck sit for 15 minutes or so then check back again. if the polish smears its not dry enough, and next time use another drop of zfx. It should take about 1 ounce of polish to do the whole truck. the 1st time though you may want to mix up a little more than 1 ounce (1/2 bottle) so you don't runout and get the hang of spreading it thin

after you buff it off, then get the z6 quick detailer and go over the truck (tips at bottom) then you can mix up another bottle of z5 with zfx and go to work again. you can do this 3 times in 24 hours. you shouldnt do more because the polish needs time to crosslink. every time you use the z5 you need to add the zfx, and after every coat of z5 hit the truck with the z6 quick detailer.

z6 quick detailer:
    use this after every coat of polish, and after every car wash. just lightly spray a panel on the truck with it, then rub it in using a 100% cotton made in USA towel. You don't need to spray much, just maybe one trigger pump per panel and its plenty. buff it into the paint going forward to back on the top surfaces, and top to bottom on the side surfaces. any haze or excess should evaporate quickly! if not then go over it again lightly. this also will remove bugs or sap if its not crusted on.

Cloths for zaino
    you always always ALWAYS want to use 100% cotton MADE IN USA towels! even if it says 100% cotton but is made in mexico, it really isn't and can cause scratches in the paint. some good brands are fieldcrest or cannon. you can get them from like walmart or kmart or one of those stores, not autozone or those places. same goes for washmits....100% made in usa cotton! also with applicator pads. I just use the zaino cotton pads though cuz i know they are 100% cotton. they should send you a few with your order. you can also use foam viking pads instead to apply the polish, but i like the cotton ones better.
    also, with your towells, either make sure you fold all the edges back, or better yet cut them off. they are sewn with nylon and that scratches. best to just cut them off (even the design strip) and sew the edge with some cotton thread.

Cleaning up
    you always have to wash your mixing containers after you mix z5 with zfx so it doesn't dry in there. just get some dishwasing soap and warm water and clean them out. a little PITA sometimes, but it keeps everything nice and gunk free. same goes for applicator pads, wash those after every time also. what i do is wash them by hand with some dish soap and water, then put them in a ziplock bag thats got a little water in it until i get around to washign all my zaino towells together. make sure when you wash your towells and stuff that you use for the zaino that you do NOT use fabric softener, or use powder detergent. i use liquid tide for mine.

applying zaino
    thin coats are best for numerous reasons.
    -only so much will stick, why put on extra just to buff it off
    -thin coats go on easier
    -thin coats come off easier
    -better and easier to do 3 thin coats than one heavy coat and get less than best results

When you get your applicator cotton pad, 1st spray it with some water, then squeeze it out very very well, just should barely even feel wet. then get the z6 spray and spray both sides real quick with a quick spurt of the z6. then get the z5 and pour a little dime size dab on the one end, and spread it across the applicator with your finger. doing the water and z6 trick makes less z5 get absorbed into the pad, and hence less wasted. plus it helps spread it thinner.

when you spread it on the paint, it should be very very thin, you should barely be able to see it on there, and you'll get a very light haze. not like most waxes where it turns whiteish and a very dull look. the zaino will just look like your paint is hazy or something. thats thick enough. do the whole truck like this and you should get just about the whole truck done with one ounce.

when you wash the truck, do the z6, or apply and remove the polish, always go from front to back on the top surfaces (hood, roof) and top to bottom on the side panels (doors, fenders, tailgates) its just an optical trick that makes the truck look better, and cuts down on spider webbing cuz you are always cleaning in the same direction.

removing zaino

like said above, front to back on top, and top to bottom on the sides. just use a 100% cotton USA towel and buff it off, changing towells often. if it smears around a little give it a few more minutes to dry then try again. its very easy after you get the hang of it, and although it may seem i'm very zaino bias, i'm not. if a product works, and works great, i'm gonna use it. if somebody says something else is better, i'll probably give it a try if they give me a good enough reason to do it. zaino is hands down the easiest polish system i've ever used, and the best results i've ever gotten. i used to be a huge liquid glass fan, and i still am cuz its great stuff, but zaino is a step above IMO.

So to sum this up if you choose z1 with the z5 and z6 heres what you need to do
    -day one
    ---dawn wash
    ---dry truck
    ---z1 polish applied
    ---Z5 polish applied ontop of z1
    ---Z1 and Z5 buffed off
    ---Z6 quick detailer spray
    -day 2/3/4/etc
    -z5 polish apply
    -z5 polish remove
    -z6 quick detailer

If you choose to go the easier and quicker route with zfx here's what you need to do
    -day one
    ---dawn wash
    ---dry truck
    ---mix z5 with zfx
    ---apply z5 with zfx
    ---remove z5 with zfx
    ---z6 quick detailer
    ---z5 with zfx apply/remove (optional 2nd coat)
    ---z6 quick detailer
    ---Z5 with zfx apply/remove (optional 3rd coat)
    ---Z6 quick detailer
    -day two
    ---Z5 with zfx for 4+ coats if you want

whew,that took me long enough. LoL...maybe a new record lengh post for nhtoc LoL! hopefully i'm not forgetting much. if i am i'm sure the other zaino zealots will post in here.

www.zainobros.com for more info. thats where i learned all this mumbo jumbo. alot of reading but once you get the hang of it, its not nearly as complicated as it sounds, although after reading this post you may need a few :d

Still Around...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks alot HD#356

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    no problem R126. i want to see 5 coats of zaino on that beast by the time the 22nd meet rolls around here also LoL!

if you have any other questions, just hit me up
    my aol instant messenger screen name is harley0356 if anybody else ever want to chat or has any questions

Still Around...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Am lazy when it comes to cleaning a car,I'll give 1 good coat.............LOL

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Lazy! i'm sure that'll all change when you get your HD. :k LoL! i used to be the same way, now i'm out there detailing under the truck, zainoing behind the taillight lenses, spending 8 hours before a show, and 20 hours every spring doing details on it. LoL. i need help!

Still Around...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just want this snow to go away so I can drive my truck...

;c SNOW

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast