Thread: #141 is Dead... Again

I feel the need for speed
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry #141 is Dead... Again

She quit on me again yesterday. That makes twice for a 4 month old truck. Same symptioms: abrupt, total loss of power. Motor would start and idle (roughly), but had no power to propel the truck. First time (in Jan), it stranded me 200 mi from home and had to be towed in. This time, the truck started and ran after a 4 hour rest, so I drove it to the dealer. First time they replaced the fuel pump, but now I'm not convinced that was the problem. Will see what they come up with this time. Sure am glad I haven't made any engine mods yet.
    2003 H-D Screw #141 - 387HP/485TQ

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can feel your pain Sorry.

Name: Patrick

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Torque Convertor?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by shanker Torque Convertor?
    Would that cause rough idle?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    definitely not transmission. must be either fuel or computer. no word yet from dealer. will keep you posted. haven't heard anything similar on this list, so must be isolated case.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can you, please, elaborate on the symptoms? I do remember your initial post, but it wouldn't hurt to refresh memory for everyone and maybe get more details.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1st time: 3 weeks old, lost power while going 70MPH on cruise control. Would start and idle, sometimes roughly. Died every time accelerator pressed. Towed to nearest dealer. Plugs fouled. No codes. Fuel pump replaced and seemed to fix problem.

2nd time: 4 months old (5k mi), again lost power, this time going 20MPH. Would start and idle (roughly). Again died when pressing accelerator. Parked it an hitched a ride. Came back 4 hrs later and truck started and ran fine. Took it to dealer who cannot replicate problem. Still sitting at dealer.

Big concern: where will I be next time it quits??? Could be dangerous.

Any ideas???

Supporting Vendor
    Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    did they check the fuel pressure? JL
    J.L.P. Enhanced!
    k.B Blown

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by fastphil_v Any ideas?
    Your symptoms sound as if electronics is for some reason deciding to shut truck down or you have problems with fuel delivery.

They changed pumps, but that is not only thing that could affect fuel delivery. Some people had issues due to line leaking into the tank. Definitely have them check fuel pressure and get (electrical) fuel pressure gauge so you can also observe it yourself while in "real life" conditions. At same time, change fuel filter just to be on the safe side.

Considering I know next to nothing about vehicles my thoughts might be way off, so take them with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by fastphil_v Big concern: where will I be next time it quits??? Could be dangerous.
    Some states, like California, have law that defines vehicle as lemon based on how dangerous issue at hand is. Having a vehicle that died on you twice while in motion is very dangerous and might be, depending on the law in your area, already a lemon candidate. If I was owner of such vehicle I would call Ford Customer Service, take notes of who I talked with etc (start building paperwork and be carefull what I am saying), let them know and make sure they understand vehicle died abruptly twice while in motion, and ask them to send field engineer out because dealership is not being able to resolve the issue that endangered person(s) in it twice. At same time I would ask dealership to try same and involve Ford's regional rep.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ZoranC

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If it happens again disconnet the battery, turn on your head lights for a minute, turn off you headlights, reconnect the battery and see if it starts. computer reset?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, they kept it 4 days and put 200 mi on it and it never died in their hands. Yes, they did monitor fuel pressure. Definitely an intermittent problem - something is shutting down fuel IMO. Dealer is giving me a data collection box to plug into the diagnostics port. If (when) it happens again we should have more data.

Truck is now back in my garage and seems to be running fine.

Thanks again for the advice. This group is a valuable resource. Will be glad to get this problem behind me so I can do the mods on my list!

/Phil

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by fastphil_v Dealer is giving me a data collection box to plug into the diagnostics port.
    Phil, can you do me a big favor please? Can you please take pics of that data collection box and where it is being plugged in and e-mail them to me? It would help me a lot. Thanks a ton in advance!

ZoranC