Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: alternator again.......

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In most of the cars I have see with big stereos this is a common porblem. I have a guy that works with me. He has 3 13w7s - 3 1000's - 450-4 - and multiple tv's. We set him up with 3 yellow tops - upgraded wires - and 2 alternators, he still has dimming lights. I said to prove a point. The way it sounds you really don't have a problem. That part of the electrical system basically gets shafted when it comes to voltage.

jotay21
    Name:

Can you do multiple alternators in our trucks? I am very interested in having this done, but want it to be done by someone with experience. Thanks.

Josh

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a link for a company that does a direct bolt on F150 97-03 dual alternator kit... I am looking for the link right now... it may take a while.... hoepfully I will find it tonight.

Rob w

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    rob i would be interested also!!!!!!! PM me please!

jotay21
    Name:

Du Du Du Du, DuDaaaaaa, Super Rob to the rescue. Come on man, hook us up. I am very interested in this.

Josh

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Remember when you do dual alternators in your truck you will seriously decrease the power of the truck. In the Yukon we did it had a dramatic effect to the truck.

jotay21
    Name:

I am willing to lose HP to get my electrical system healthy enough to put the rest of the stereo equipment I purchased in the truck. I know that conflicts a lot of the purpose of the truck, but if I lose 20-30 ponies, I will be ok. Besides, this is my kid hauler. I would just like a sound, tested and solid solution for the electrical side of the house.

Josh

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.caraudiomag.com/technical...ae_alternator/

there are contacts at the bottom of the article. The Dave's DC Electric has a Ford kit I believe... too bad he doesn't have a website.

I have a link to a website somewhere of a DUal alternator, 4 battery set up in an 2000 SCrew 4x4 still looking

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What are you running in your truck to have a power problem. I am fairly new to this board. I actually have just been looking for ideas for sub boxes for my truck. I found a lot of great ideas. I have a set of 3 way Focals 6" mid bass - 6" mid range - 1" tweeter running off a 450-4. All I have in the truck for bass is a small JL 10w3 between the two seats on a small amp. I am looking to start building a console box for a 13W7 on a 1000/1 in the near future for the next show season. If you not to far away from Charlotte you should come check out the Auto Fair in April. We will have the Yukon and my car out there.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good Article on dual Alternators

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nvr-Enuf welcome... we can always use another head postin in here....

most of the guys & gals here are having light dimming issues. Like you said above, backing my points (thank you) it is a problem that really isn't... but then there is the point of "I gotta make it perfect" so I try to oblige...

with the modern Ford 3g & beyond alternators & the newer & improved internals, the losses are not nearly as bad as they ahve been... GM alternator internals are power sapping pigglets... I laugh at all the racer's who convert to GM 10wire alternaotrs not understanding that the alternator they chose is the least efficient rectifier/bridges, regulators & diodes out there... even the new MSD billet series are WAY less efficient than the equivilent Ford or Chrysler... oh well..

I am pondering a dual set up for our trucks.. more later.

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok looking at the engine with a fresh beer, here is what I see....

1.) you cannot go to the pass. side for anything.

2.) the blower snout is right above the stock alternator & the intake & cam covers block left & right of the alternator "cavity"

3.) you cannot go low on the engine like many Brand X kits because the steering linkage & idler arm stuff is across the entire lower front of the engine.

4.) above the driver's cam cover, much like a 2000-2001 NA Procharger kit is a possibility, but that is a LONG belt & will need additional tensioners. Good but not optimum.

5.) I am seeing a reverse rotation alternator, on the driver's side of the block, pulley toward the block, right in th area where the cam position sensor is. A heavy bracket/cage to hold the alternator, a slightly longer accessory belt & no additional tensioners. Ideally the bracket/cage would be fabbed out of plate steel then whittled out of aluminum stock for a lighter version...

So yes it is POSSIBLE with the S/C'ed HD/L's but it won't be as easy as the '00-'01 trucks where they can off-set the alternator over the pass side cam cover.

Rob W

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i think i like my dimming. it gives me character.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That was pretty good/quick for what??? about 10 minutes.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think I agree with ACWALSH8 it gives character. Don't feel bad my lights dim and I work in the business.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast