Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: alternator again.......

jotay21
    Name:

Originally posted by NVR-ENUF
    What are you running in your truck to have a power problem. I am fairly new to this board. I actually have just been looking for ideas for sub boxes for my truck. I found a lot of great ideas. I have a set of 3 way Focals 6" mid bass - 6" mid range - 1" tweeter running off a 450-4. All I have in the truck for bass is a small JL 10w3 between the two seats on a small amp. I am looking to start building a console box for a 13W7 on a 1000/1 in the near future for the next show season. If you not to far away from Charlotte you should come check out the Auto Fair in April. We will have the Yukon and my car out there.
    Welcome man. I have been battling this stereo thing for a long time. We have very similar taste though. Currently I have a set of Focal Eutopia 165w3's up front. The 4.5 and the tweet are in the kick panels and the 6" is in the door. A set of Kappa 5x7's in the rear. Those will be converted to a set of Focal Eutopia 133w's as soon as Rob has some spare time and can work a set of aluminum plates into his schedule. My mids are being powered by a JL 450/4. Currently I have two 12w7's in the rear center console. I bought two 1000/1's to power them, but decided to just plug one in. That is killing my lights when the volume is up. That is just an annoyance though. The bad part is that when the volume is up, the 450/4 will clip. That part sucks. I have talked to a few JL dealers who told me that the protection circuitry in the 450/4 is a lot more sensitive, and consequently better, than that of the 1000/1's. That is supposedly why the 450/4 clips first. It really only happens at the upper end of the volume knob, but that tells me that I did not put it together correctly. That is why I am after the extra juice. I am seriously considering trying to put the 210amp Stinger alternator on my truck when I return this time from the middle east. We will have to get together sometime as I travel to Charlotte at least once a month or so.

Josh

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How loud are you going with the volume. I have wicked my and never got the 450/4 to clip out. I had a similar problem in my car. It has 300/4 and 300/2 on the mids and highs in it. It started clipping out at higher end of the scale. It wasn't b/c of voltage. We had one of the x-overs set wrong. As we gave it more power the amp went into protect.

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    like i told you before I have a powermaster rated at 240 highway and 140 or so idle.

i tried stinger and they said that they didnt make one for the SC f150s. I spoke with them personally back in december.

chris

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Josh... I still question that the amp is "clipping" what are you hearing that is being called "clipping".... I am not argueing or anything... is the amp shutting off? is the output distored? what is happening? Are you sure the infinities are not causing the 450 to shut down? the inifinities are notorious for being power hungery & delicate @ the same time... you may be driving the infinies out of the voice coil gap & causing the 450 to go into protect mode... that is NOT clipping...

Tell me more...

Rob w

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It has always been explained to me that the JL's don't care what the power is to a certain extent. I have always been to the have a unregulated power supply. So at 13v's it the same power at 11v's. If the power is draining that low it seems like the truck would shut off.

jotay21
    Name:

I just emailed Daves to see if he has a kit that fits our supercharged beasts. I hope so. I don't want to kill the yellow top that I purchased 4 weeks ago.

Josh

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    my system also shuts off or "clips" as does jotays

when i am driving obviously, and it doesnt matter what type of bass is playing, the system sometimes just goes into what seems like a safe mode bc the music can still be heard at a real faint level for a few seconds. then it shuts off completely. if i turn off the HU and turn it back on everything is ok. hope that helps jotay out.

that happens when it is played at about 16-18 volume but is infrequent.

jotay21
    Name:

Originally posted by 2002GreyHD150
    Josh... I still question that the amp is "clipping" what are you hearing that is being called "clipping".... I am not argueing or anything... is the amp shutting off? is the output distored? what is happening? Are you sure the infinities are not causing the 450 to shut down? the inifinities are notorious for being power hungery & delicate @ the same time... you may be driving the infinies out of the voice coil gap & causing the 450 to go into protect mode... that is NOT clipping...

Tell me more...

Rob w
    Rob,

Maybe I am assuming the clipping part. Basically the 450/4 just shuts off at higher volume. The 1000/1 continues to play, but the 450/4 doesn't. That happens ONLY when the 1000/1 is playing. If I turn the 1000/1 off, the 450/4 will continue to play my mids and highs well beyond the volume that it clips at when the 1000/1 is on. I had read about speakers causing amps to go into protect mode, but wouldn't it do this when the 1000/1 is off if that is the problem?

Josh

jotay21
    Name:

Originally posted by ACWALSH8
    my system also shuts off or "clips" as does jotays

when i am driving obviously, and it doesnt matter what type of bass is playing, the system sometimes just goes into what seems like a safe mode bc the music can still be heard at a real faint level for a few seconds. then it shuts off completely. if i turn off the HU and turn it back on everything is ok. hope that helps jotay out.

that happens when it is played at about 16-18 volume but is infrequent.
    Not quite sure how similar our problems are. Mine is very consistent and once again, it only happens when I am driving both amps. If I turn the 1000/1 off at the head unit, I can crank the volume to the mid 30's before the mids and highs start to sound bad. Customarily with both amps on, the 450/4 will go into "protection" at about volume level 23-25.

Josh

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    my entire system shuts down. i have not looked at which amp bc i figured they all are doing it.

jotay21
    Name:

Originally posted by jotay21
    I just emailed Daves to see if he has a kit that fits our supercharged beasts. I hope so. I don't want to kill the yellow top that I purchased 4 weeks ago.

Josh
    Damn, I just got an NDR.

Josh

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I havent been able to go nearly that high with my system. if i hit 18 19 its loud as shat!!! i wouldnt go above that and sit in the car.

i have 1000/1, (2) 300/2, mb components, 12w7 sealed, ivad900, stinger 1700 battery, and powermaster alt.

jotay21
    Name:

Which HU? I have a Pioneer DEH-P6500. I think the volume control goes over 50.

jotay21
    Name:

Oh yeah, if someone figures out that it is not my electrical system, I will ship you a Cohiba for your thought.

Josh

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    alpine IVAD900 it goes to 35

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast