Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Story Says it all

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up The Story Says it all

This is written by a Navy O-5 (Commander) at a port in Kuwait ... No commentary needed, the 3-minute read below says more than a 20-page article could about our warriors and the constitution of our men.

Where do we get such men?

"They are so damn young"

I was going to the gym tonight (really just a huge tent with weights and treadmills), and we had heard that one of the MEUs (Marine Exp Units) that had come out of service in the "triangle" was redeploying (leaving country). We saw their convoy roll in to the KuwaitNaval Base as the desert sun was setting.

I have never seen anything like this. Trucks and humvees that looked like they had just come through a shredder. Their equipment was full of shrapnel blast holes, and missing entire major pieces that you could tell had been blasted by IEDs. These kids looked bad too! I mean, sunken eyes, thin as rails, and that 1000-yd. stare they talk about after direct combat. Made me pretty damn embarrassed to be a "rear area warrior".

All people could do was stop in their tracks and stare... and feel like me...like I wanted to bow my head in reverence. A Marine O-3 (Captain) stationed with me, was standing next to me, also headed to the gym. He said, "Part of 1st Brigade Combat Team, 8th Marines, Sir. Took the heaviest losses of any single unit up north as part of Task Force Danger, Sir."

As the convoy rolled up, all of us watching just slowly crept toward these kids as they dismounted the Hummers and 5-tons. Of course, we were all shiny and clean compared to these warriors. These kids looked like they had just CRAWLED from Iraq. I had my security badge and ID around my neck, and started to help them unload some of their duffle bags.

A crusty Gunny Seargent came up to me and said "Sir, you don't have to do that..." I said, "Gunny... yes I do..." They all looked like they were in high school, or younger!! All held themselves sharply and confident, despite the extreme fatigue you could tell they had endured. "You guys out of the triangle?" I asked. "Yes, sir, 14 months, and twice into the grinder, sir" (both fights for Fallujah).

All I could do was throw my arm around their shoulders and say "thanks Marine, for taking the fight to the bad guys...we love you man".

I looked at these young kids, not one of them complaining or showing signs of anything but focus, and good humor. 'Sir, they got ice cream at the DFAC (mess tent), Sir?" "I haven't had real ice cream since we got here..." They continued to unload... and after I had done my handshakes and shoulder hugs, the Captain and I looked at each other ...

They want ice cream, we'll get them ice cream. You see, a squid O-5 and a focused Marine O-3 can get just about anything, even if the mess is closed. Needless to say, we raided the closed DFAC, much to the chagrin of one very pissed off Mess Sergeant and grabbed boxes of ice cream sandwiches (as many as we could carry), and hustled back to the convoy. I felt like Santa Claus. "Thank you, Sir.." again and again from each trooper, as we tossed up the bars to the guys in the trucks. I'm thinkin', "Son, what the hell are you thanking me for? I can't thank you enough."

And they are so damned young ... I will sleep well, knowing they are watching my back tonight."

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hell yeah!! These boy's each deserve a complete Baskin-Robins to be built at their private homes!! As I am in the Air Force, I can not speak of direct combat, but I pray that when I am faced with a combat sit, I can only be half as good as these boys!! To all Military, I SALUTE YOU!!

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stew,
    Good story, man! thanks.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All other forces sleep well at night when the Marines are manning the post. The Title is earned never given, 230 years of history and numerous engagements to back it up and !!!

Marine Corps streamers are simply decorated with bronze or silver stars to indicate the number of actions represented by the streamer, one silver star representing five bronze ones (with the exception of the streamer for Marine Corps Expeditionary Service, the Marines use stars only for campaigns after 1900). In addition, the award of unit citations is also reflected by attaching streamers in the colors of the medal ribbon that goes with the award.

Revolutionary War (1775-83) 2 silver stars Plain streamer
    Maritime Protection of the New Republic (1790-97) Plain streamer
    Quasi-War with France (1798-1801) 3 bronze stars Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Barbary Wars (1801-05, 1815) 4 bronze stars Plain streamer
    War of 1812 (1812-15) 2 silver + 4 bronze stars Plain streamer Plain streamer
    African Slave Trade Patrol (1820-61) Plain streamer Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Operations against West Indian Pirates (1822-1830s) Plain streamer Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Indian Wars (1835-42) Plain streamer Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Mexican War (1846-48) 4 bronze stars Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Civil War (1861-65) 3 silver stars Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Marine Corps Expeditionary Service (1874-) 12 silver + 3 bronze stars + silver"W" for Wake on 3 streamers
    Spanish Campaign (1898) 4 bronze stars Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Philippine Insurrection Campaign (1899-1906) Plain streamer Plain streamer
    China Relief Expedition (1900-01) Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Latin American Campaigns (1906-20) 1 silver star
    Cuban Pacification (1906-09) Plain streamer
    Nicaraguan Campaign (1912) Plain streamer
    Mexican Service (1914-17) Plain streamer
    Haitian Campaign (1915, 1919-20) 1 bronze star
    Dominican Campaign (1916) Plain streamer
    World War I (1917-18) 1 silver star 1 silver + 1 bronze star + Maltese cross + Siberia and West Indies inscriptions (2 streamers) Plain streamer
    Army of Occupation of Germany Plain streamer
    Second Nicaraguan Campaign (1926-33) Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Yangtze Service (1926-27, 1930-32) Plain streamer Plain streamer Plain streamer
    China Service (1936-39 and 1945-57) Plain streamer 1 bronze star Plain streamer
    American Defense Service (1939-41) Plain streamer 2 bronze stars Plain streamer
    World War II - American Theater (1941-45) 1 bronze star Plain streamer Plain streamer
    World War II - Pacific Theater (1941-45) 8 silver + 3 bronze stars
    on 2 streamers 8 silver + 2 bronze stars
    on 2 streamers Plain streamer
    World War II - European-African-Mediterranean Theater
    (1941-45) 1 silver + 4 bronze stars 1 silver + 4 bronze stars Plain streamer
    World War II Victory Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Navy Occupation Service Inscribed "Europe & Asia" Plain streamer
    Korean Service (1950-54) 2 silver star 2 silver stars Plain streamer
    National Defense Service (1961-) 1 bronze star 2 bronze stars Plain streamer
    Armed Forces Expeditionary Service (1958-) 5 silver + 1 bronze stars 5 silver + 1 bronze stars Plain streamer
    Vietnam Service (1962-73) 3 silver + 2 bronze stars 3 silver + 2 bronze stars Plain streamer
    Southwest Asia Service 3 bronze stars 3 bronze stars Plain streamer
    Kosovo Campaign (1999-) 2 bronze stars 2 bronze stars Plain streamer
    Presidential Unit Citation Numeral 6 silver + 2 bronze stars (a/o 1989) Plain streamer
    Presidential Unit Citation (Army) 1 silver oak leaf cluster
    Joint Meritorious Unit Award Plain streamer
    Navy Unit Commendation Numeral 22 silver + 3 bronze stars
    on 4 streamers Plain streamer
    Valorous Unit Award (Army) Plain streamer
    Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation Numeral Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Army Meritorious Unit Commendation Plain streamer Plain streamer
    Philippine Defense 1 bronze star Plain streamer
    Philippine Liberation 2 bronze stars Plain streamer
    Philippine Independence Plain streamer Plain streamer
    French Croix de Guerre (World War I) 2 bronze palms + gilt star
    French Croix de Guerre (World War II) Plain streamer
    Korean Presidential Unit Citation 2 bronze stars
    Philippine Presidential Unit Citation 2 bronze stars
    Vietnamese Gallantry Cross 1 bronze palm Plain streamer
    Vietnamese Civil Actions Medal First Class 1 bronze palm Plain streamer

That concludes my motivated period of instruction.

SEMPER FI!

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    very touching story man, i have so much respect for the marines, you guys are true warriors!

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by 01harleydude
    very touching story man, i have so much respect for the marines, you guys are true warriors!
    AMEN!! Do not forget the navy corpsmen that have fought and died with the Marines every step of the way (have to put a plug for my crew) . In fact, the Navy corpsman is the single MOST DECORATED (Medal of Honor) rating in the entire Navy. ooo-raaah!

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Salute
    JLP shortblock, Stage 3 heads and cams, 2.3 Whipple w/3" upper and 4# lower.Ba2800, Accufab, Pacesetter LT's, 60#inj, twin 255's, LFP efan, PI 2600 stall, Detroit Locker Tru-Trac, 58" LFP Tbars, Bilsteins all around, D.M.R. panhard, MT DR's. 564/598 on 15# boost

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

Don't know how any one can read that without wiping away at their eyes and taking a deeeep breath to force that lump in your throat back down. Nice story!

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how to send this stuff to e0mail addresses?

I may be the oldest Marine vet here. The last enlisted pilot retired while I was in. When I went in, there was but one four-star and now there are three. I am so old I can barely spell p.c., much less use one of these danged newfangled thangs. So.......How do I send BigStew's words of wisdom (both sections, please?) to my young Marine PFC at Lejeune or my Navy MH-53 pilot just back from her 2nd tour in the Persian Gulf and 2 months of tsunami relief flying? thnx for any help. Let them wipe their eyes like I am!!! He is dankusmc34@yahoo.com and she is bdanko@yahoo.com

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My son REALLY needed to be in the Marine Corps and it has turned out to be a perfect match. He got a meritorious mast recently and was not told why. He called and told his mom and she wanted to know why he had to wear a "mask." I explained he got an attaboy and asked why. He went to his first sgt. who told him it was for having his **** wrapped tight and to keep on kickin' *** and takin' names!!! He was a weightlifting 290 lb. def tackle at a D II school and was getting into trouble and followed my advice and enlisted. They told him he had to get down to 195 and did not care he was almost all muscle at 290. He went in at 204 and did well in boot. The D.I.'s use much less physical/corporal punishment now and sometimes would turn punks over to my squadleader son for additional motivation. He is luvin' it and at Camp Lejeune. He found the gym and is back to 215 and heading towards more football? I cannot get him interested in Annapolis. I explained officers get very little training other than leadership that they can use on the outside and enlistees can get some pretty good training so now he does not want a commission. His girlfriend is high maintenance though and he could use an officer's pay eventually. Fun to watch the kid. I was enlisted and commissioned and gave him some pretty good advice. He wrote from P.I. that he had been very well prepared for bootcamp. We watched the Discovery Channel tapes of both bootcamps and he studied a lot and ran enough to be in great shape physically and ******ly. Yeah, he now knows that as a Marine, he can trust the guys on his right and left. I told him he has always been my son but now he is my brother.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Danko you can put your cursor at the beggining of the post (typed words) then hold down the left click button and drag the cursor to the end of the post. Everything should become highlighted in blue. Then hover the cursor over the blue and right click once and select COPY. Then you can open an email and right click again in the white area (where you type your messages) and select PASTE. then send it off to your son and daughter. I would send it for you but would be better if it came from a crusty old Marine like yourself.

Hope that helps out and if you cant get it to work then let me know and I will forward it on for you.

Semper Fi
    Stew

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Danko
    My son REALLY needed to be in the Marine Corps and it has turned out to be a perfect match. He got a meritorious mast recently and was not told why. He called and told his mom and she wanted to know why he had to wear a "mask." I explained he got an attaboy and asked why. He went to his first sgt. who told him it was for having his **** wrapped tight and to keep on kickin' *** and takin' names!!! He was a weightlifting 290 lb. def tackle at a D II school and was getting into trouble and followed my advice and enlisted. They told him he had to get down to 195 and did not care he was almost all muscle at 290. He went in at 204 and did well in boot. The D.I.'s use much less physical/corporal punishment now and sometimes would turn punks over to my squadleader son for additional motivation. He is luvin' it and at Camp Lejeune. He found the gym and is back to 215 and heading towards more football? I cannot get him interested in Annapolis. I explained officers get very little training other than leadership that they can use on the outside and enlistees can get some pretty good training so now he does not want a commission. His girlfriend is high maintenance though and he could use an officer's pay eventually. Fun to watch the kid. I was enlisted and commissioned and gave him some pretty good advice. He wrote from P.I. that he had been very well prepared for bootcamp. We watched the Discovery Channel tapes of both bootcamps and he studied a lot and ran enough to be in great shape physically and ******ly. Yeah, he now knows that as a Marine, he can trust the guys on his right and left. I told him he has always been my son but now he is my brother.
    Danko---I just got out of the Corps in October and like you, did the enlisted then officer thing. In fact, I was at Lejeune for the last 5 years. Or at least that's what I called home when I wasn't deployed or in the field.

If your son has any questions about becoming an officer, what its like now, and how being a zero might help him (whether he stays in or not), let me know and I'd be happy to have a few words with him. No flowery B.S.----just the straight poop.

--Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What was your last unit BadAZZ?

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was a team leader with 2d ANGLICO when I got out. Before that, artillery bubba with 10th Marines (Lima 3/10). I started life as a F/A-18 electrician (6337) with VMFA-321.........Hell's Angels! Giddyup!

What about you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast