Well as many of the long time member's know I have had just about every conceivable combination of suspension in my '02 DSG.

Started with Bell Tech Shackles, Edelbrock shocks, Helwig Sway bar. Handled/Rode GREAT, not low enough.

Full Bell Tech Shackles, Hangers , Bell Tech Shocks: Bottomed out on every pebble, rode like total azz, swapped back in Edelbrock shocks, Rode 10,000 times better but was constantly on the bump-stops & very bouncy on the main highways I drove... total time on the truck with Bell Tech 3.25 days. Out the door sold to a kid in Florida. The hangers were a biotch to install, the hanger threw off the rear suspension geometry, it SUCKED.

Next Step Ground Force: On for 1 day. The kit was an early kit for our trucks. Came with shocks, & it simply rode weird.. not harsh, not rough, bouncy & unpredictable. Stance was great. It just felt weird... on the truck one afternoon. I am told the newer kits are much improved & there is even a separate part # for the '03s as there should be since their leaf springs are different.

Next 95% of the entire Hotchkis TVS, QA-1 shocks, stock bar front, helwig rear bar, Air lift load assist air bags. Sway bars were on back order, then never got installed. Was delivered the Std Cab rear leafs, so the extra weight of the SCrew made the ride a little choppy/bouncy but MUCH improved. Stance was great, ride was good, but could have been better. Leaf Springs were though to be the main culprit.. when I took out the TVS for the next upgrade, I found my right at 30,000 mile QA-1 shocks were TOAST as in destroyed. They were never over-extended or slammed closed, I still had the wire-tie markers on them & you could see the polish marks on the pistons.. they just wore out all highway driving I might add. Mark me down for NOT impressed with QA-1.. maybe that's why Air Ride is not using QA1 anymore? hmmmm... So the TVS with the QA-1 shocks NOT recommended. I could never get the shocks dialed to ride well enough, always handled like on rails, so if handling @ the limit is your bag & a choppy, bumpy rear end is worth it..get the QA-1's otherwise, the TVS/Bilstiens are the way to go.

Air Ride Technologies, full tilt, air bag system. A few miss-ques from Air Ride, some incorrect parts sent, completely wrong hardware kit sent, but over all I was SUPER pleased. Awesome stance (DUH!) ride was amazing.... however, due to the wrong parts sent & my move I had to take it off (for now) until the parts issues were corrected. I never got a chance to test handling at the limits.

Finally, as it sits right now, Back to the Hotchkiss TVS. Correct SCrew rear leaf springs, Stock shocks (until Weds, when the TVS/Bilstiens arrive) & all I can say is WOW... the rear leafs & Crap-A-1 shocks were totally the issue more so the shocks than the leafsrings... No Load assist needed now. Ride with the stock shocks is, well... stock. it feels just like it did new, just sits lower. HOWEVER the stock shocks cannot handle the compression/rebound of the "dippty-doo" type bumps in the road. SO the TVS shocks are on the way. I think I have found my home.... i am amazed at how great & overall controlled the TVS is even with stock shocks (not recommended)

Unfortunately a certain April 15th deadline has decided to loom WELL above what we were expecting $$ wise... So the Air Ride is For Sale. I will be posting it in the classifieds tomorrow once I confirm with my Accountant. Its gonna make someone a SWEET deal.. 13 miles on the kit, brand new C-notches, complete hardware (with extras)...

Moral to my story: When I say I have been there/done it with this truck suspension wise... I am not whistling Dixie... LOL I have ridden in a couple trucks with the Roush & was impressed. it doesn't sit quite as low as the TVS, but handling wise it works well & rides almost stock.. oh did I mention Roush uses specially valved Bilstiens too... see a pattern? Also, I have ridden in Steeda & So-Cal Speed shop lowered trucks & was not impressed nor disappointed, just "ho-hum".

Hotchkiss TVS all the way, with the TVS/Bilsteins. In a month or 2 after I recover, I will put the TVS sway bars I have sitting in the shop on & I will close this chapter forever on mods.

Rob W