Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bilsteins - Bilstein says the Lightning shocks are not the way to go

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Got the 'screw-spec units for my '01HD: nice, cushy, OEM ride and feel. Got so used to it that I find the L "stiff" but good for handling

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lspec on mine and love the tight responsive feel.

afterburners on!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Recently lowered: 1" front, 3" rear. Also running Lspec Bilstein. Much improved control and less body roll.

George, you thinking of going with the KYB's? I know that they are pricy but they are awesome shocks. Did you find a deal on them?
    Jose - DallasHD

02 DSG HD #6266, 5 seater conversion, 1/3 drop.
    96 Subaru SVX STI/LSI (Jetson Mobile)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Everyone,

I promised I would add something to this on Monday... but we ended up taking an extra day for the Easter holiday. Sorry about that.

After installing the Fleetside speced Bilsteins on Friday morning... I took a 160 mile trip to Western PA (and 160 miles back). This included highway and 2 lane country road driving. It was a good cross section of different types of roads. The roads in Western PA are twisty... through mountainous countryside... and I should say... are mostly in poor shape (damn bumpy).

I wish I had changed these shocks at least 6,000 miles ago. If I had known of the improvement I would see back then, it would have been a no brainer. If I realized what I had when I bought the truck, I would have done it when the truck was new. Having now experienced these... I most definitely should have done this a long time ago.

In order to be fair... these shocks are expensive... they are a gas shocks, versus an oil filled shock... and so they should be an improvement over the stock units... but in knowing how the truck has been riding these last 6k miles... those stock shocks were actually worn out a long time ago.

For reference again - the truck is a 2003 with 20k miles on it (well now it has 21k). I have the original Goodyears on it, with about 25% of the tread wear life on them.

(not to start a new debate here... but I thought part of the handling problem I was having before all of this... was possibly also with the tires... but these new shocks proved that wrong... they now work great... and I am now thinking of replacing them with these same tires again... when the time comes)

Improvement in ride quality and handling, versus a good pair of stock units - at least 40%

Improvement in body roll for left and right transitions - around 35%

Improvement in body roll for forward and backward transitions - 30%

Improvement in steering stability and one handed (and knee) driving abilities - 35% (maybe even 40%). It definitely tracks better.

I noticed that the truck does not dive as much - under normal and heavy breaking. I really liked that... it was allot more control-able and confidence inspiring in this area.

It also absorbed some of the drive train harshness under heavy acceleration... at the shift points. It was noticeably smoother here.

The truck was truly a joy to drive on freeway and high speed sections of road. Did you ever notice that our trucks handle great above 75 MPH (even with the old shocks) - it must be something to do with the down force and the front air dam. It definitely was better in this regards - about 35%.

I got caught in periods of heavy rain - and the truck handled ALLOT better here. It did not feel as if it was hydroplaning as much as it did. I can give credit to the tires here... but these shocks also showed a large improvement here also.

I was driving a stretch of road, that I clearly remember driving right after I bought the truck. I had to make a very hard right hand transition at about 75 mph on the freeway. I purposely did this again, at the same point, on the same stretch of road... and I found the truck to be more comfortable and under control - versus even when it was brand new. How much better (that was a long time ago - but I remember it well, I almost got side swiped by an Explorer) - about 20%.

If it would have been slightly more dampened on the country roads, I would have been a little happier about that. I have a 240Z and a C5, and they are of course great for this type of road... and so I would have been slightly (slightly) happier to have more dampening here. The truck is heavy... and it showed a little here... but I was some what expecting that.

In a quick left or right transition on the country roads, it would be better if it could have been smoother more here. It was not bad... but I felt like I could have used a little more smoothness in transition from left to right. Around 10% more would have been perfect. It darted around just a little more than I liked. I guess you can't have the best of both worlds... smoothness and perfect handling.

Our trucks are setup to be a sport truck (aluminum hoods, lowered suspensions, big tires)... but it is a 4 door one at that.

We are carrying more weight on our front wheels, and I especially liked the front shocks in how they handled that. They were a vast improvement on normal, regular road types and conditions.

In considering the engineering of our trucks... I feel I picked the correct shock for this truck. Also for my expectations and driving style of this truck, I think I did good. I am 44, and use the truck as my daily driver. I am also looking for comfort in my ride... I do not want to be jostled around from an over dampened suspension. That is hard on me, and the truck.

I found it interesting that I know feel more comfortable in looking around when driving the truck... even (especially) at higher speeds. On the highway and around town - I felt very confident in the truck being solidly planted under me.

The valving and dampening on the front shocks are nearly perfect... even for a sportier and more spirited driving style. They were impressive, and were very smooth. They felt GREAT.

I found the backs to be a little more jarring, I would have liked them to actually be a little smoother. I had got stuck on the highway in stop and go traffic for about 15 miles (there was an accident), and when I would go over a bridge expansion joint, there was a noticeable difference of when the front went over, versus the rear (at about 15 MPH). The rear was actually feeling too stiff, with a little more noise and bump when I transitioned over them.

I had a little more load in the back of the truck... on the way home (more stuff taken back then was taken there. This seems to happen allot when we are visiting the Wife's family), and I noticed this on the way back. On the way back I had about 150 lbs more in the rear. I did not get a chance to try expansion joint stuff when the truck was lighter, on the way up - so I don't have a reference for that.... but it makes sense that it would be the same, or slightly worst. When we picked up speed, this went away. I had to meet the Wife and Kids there for the weekend... she had went up a week earlier... so it was only my body weight in the truck... both ways.

If someone was to hand me a set of L spec shocks (fat chance), I would put them on and try them out... but if asked if I made the correct decision and would I rather have L spec over the standard fleetside shocks... the answer would honestly be "no".

For my driving needs and style... and for how I would like to have the truck perform for me on a daily basis... these shocks are "great". I really would not like to have more dampening for daily driving.

I am of course assuming that the L spec would be a stiffer ride... but I don't have seat of the pants experience to say that for sure.

I also want to say... I hate it when I hit a pot hole and jar the truck. It shakes the suspension and eventually over time it rattles things loose on the truck (especially the interior pieces)... so this is also a reason I like these shocks over L spec.

I want to keep this truck until the wheels fall off... and I would like for it to stay tight... for as long as I can keep it this way. From this perspective... I also feel I made the correct decision in selecting these shocks.

To sum up - I feel these fleetside shocks are great for spirited daily driving. From experience in a sportier and more spirited driving point of view (sports car)... I have a feeling the L spec would be a better choice for the person that is looking for that level of performance from their truck.

It is hard to say about the fronts shocks though. We are carrying more weight here... and I found these to be near perfect. The front tires, suspension, and in regards of the over all steering control - these shocks provide a vast improvement. I would have to believe that the L spec shocks would be valved for the weight bias of the Lightning (less weight on the front)... and that makes me suspect that they would be comparable to these. But... I am so guessing about this.

I hope this helps all of you making this decision. if anything... these shocks are a big improvement over the stock shocks... now, and even when they were new.

Thanks!

Brent

PS - the old shocks were not leaking, and the Mechanic even felt they were fine... in regards to their ability to rebound. I don't care... these gas Bilsteins are WAY better.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by bstock
    .......PS - the old shocks were not leaking, and the Mechanic even felt they were fine... in regards to their ability to rebound. I don't care... these gas Bilsteins are WAY better.

Wow! I can't help but to scroll up and down and see how many times my wheel mouse turns to get through all of this. Great write up!
    George

Yeah... I drive fast.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great writeup bstock. Welcome aboard!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry about it being so lengthy - I tried to make it shorter ;-)

I forgot to add it yesterday, and thought I should also mention that I got back some Over-steer.

There is a 80 degree sweeper on my way home... and last night I noticed I felt more comfortable in picking up my speed going though it - by about 10 to 15 mph.

It was definitely because some of the Under-steer was gone.

Gone Hunting
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bstock, where'd you buy your shocks from?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got them from allshocks.com

They recommended that I use BE5-2571 for the front - and BE5-2479 for the rear. $65.00 each

I called them - there is an 800# on their website.

Gone Hunting
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by bstock
    I got them from allshocks.com

They recommended that I use BE5-2571 for the front - and BE5-2479 for the rear. $65.00 each

I called them - there is an 800# on their website.
    Thanks.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    shox.com will beat any competitors prices.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got JESUS?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I installed my L-specs this weekend. I picked up a set from an L owner that upgraded. They only had about 3,000 miles on them so they're practically new. After installation, I noticed a tremendous difference. These are very stiff. I did lose the high-speed moon bounce on the freeway, which was my goal, but for normal everyday road conditions these things are too stiff. I practically feel alot more little jolts than before. Not sure how this will turn out in the long run.

Question for those with the SCrew specs...did you lose the freeway bounce? What about daily city driving...any jolts?

On the stockers, I liked how they absorbed the little bumps. I hardly felt anything driving through town but the highway dips and bounces was unbearable. Nothing like driving 100+ and then you start bouncing to no end.

By the way, my front stockers were toast, they stayed compressed for several minutes and the rears were almost as bad...one was leaking. And this was with 28,000 miles.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Have had my L SPecs on for good 6 months. After install it defintely reduced the Dreaded Hwy Hop. Then dropped her 2 in the rear and put on some shock extenders which reduced it even more. They are stiff and around town, where the roads are even worse, I get a few jolts. Reminds me of driving a Vette around town.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast