Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bilsteins - Bilstein says the Lightning shocks are not the way to go

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bilsteins - Bilstein says the Lightning shocks are not the way to go

Hi Everyone,

I have a 03 2-tone HD, with 20k miles on it. (and I Love it!)

I noticed that the shocks seemed to not have much dampening left in them... and in searching here - it seems that I am not the only one with this problem. Damn - these shocks did not last very long.

Anyways - in looking over this forum... allot of you decided to use the Bilstein shocks that the Lightning uses. I called allshocks.com - and they did not know the exact answer as to whether these were the best choice for me. They gave me the customer support # for Bilstein (800-537-1085), to check with them, to know for sure.

Here is what Kevin with Bilstein told me:

He did not recommend the Lightning shocks - for the reason that the Lightning is a lighter truck, and the shocks are not valved for the amount of weight for our trucks.

He recommended that I use BE5-2571 for the front - and BE5-2479 for the rear.

These are the normal shocks that they recommend for a regualr crew cab stylesides F-150.

I pointing out to him that the HD has been factory lowered by 1 inch, and did that make a difference. He said that this would not affect these shock at all... and he still recommended these over the Lightning Bilsteins - by virtue of the fact that our HD trucks are heavier.

I asked again, with emphasis on the truck being factory lowered, and was he sure this would not be a problem... and he re-stated the same thing... being lower an inch will not affect the performance of these shocks.

I just thought you may want to know this.

Brent

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Brent,
    Also spoke to Bilstein last year and got the same info. And I have been posting this every time the issue of Bilsteins come up. But some guys here prefer the L-spec units anyway for the more "agressive" handling it gives.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi kromdom,

Thanks for the heads up!

So the guys (and gals) are noticing that the Lightning shocks are providing them with more aggresive handling... I did not see that in my research of the threads.

Have they had anything to say about the valve dampening being to soft for the weight they are carrying.

The reason I ask is - I would actually like to have more aggresive handling - but I want the shock to be able to handle (the valving) the weight of this truck first off.

Maybe I need to call and change my order. FYI - they were priced exactly the same - $65 each

Thanks!

Brent

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    good info man!

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I noticed the difference in ride quality firsthand when I drive my Lightning. IIRC, the L-spec units are valved to deliver a stiffer, tighter (sportier) feel vs. the cushy, OEM ride quality that the 'screw-spec units provide.

In reply to the extra weight that the 'screw has (vs. the L), Bilstein said that it is going to take a loooong time for the shocks to "give out" (500K miles on their testing) and the best part of all, they have a lifetime warranty on their shocks.

DISCLAIMER: All these was verbal, have not seen anything in writing

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got my shocks brand new for a good price cheaper but went with the LSPec shock. I dont haul anything in mine but my butt and on occasion the wife and kid. I also on avg put about 18 miles on my truck a day sometimes less. So I opted for the stiffer ride and if I have to replace my shocks in another 8 years well so be it.

All valid points as stated above, and i guess it comes down to what you want and how often do you want to replace your shocks.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i dont think the L spec bilsteins would have any adverse effects on a HD. we are only 600-800 lbs heavier than they are, depending on tonneaus, etc., and it doesnt take much stuff from a depo trip to add a few hundred pounds in the bed of a L, plus a system, etc, so the weight difference isnt all that huge where the shocks should be exact vehicle specific. not like we are talking about using a regular cab short bed ranger shocks on a crew cab 8 foot bed dually F-350

i've had the L bilsteins on my truck for 2-3 years now and they are still performing awsome. the stock ones suck a fat one. up to you what kind of ride you want. with the added weight of the HD the L shocks still wont be super stiff and tight, but its a huge improvement over stock.

now if i only still had my ford connection and could get bilsteins for 27 bucks a piece again

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow now that was a deal if I ever heard of one i got mine for 50 a peice and I thought that i was doing good!!

Got JESUS?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You can typically do a 2" spring drop and still run the same front shocks. On the rear you can do about a 2-3" drop and use the stock length shocks if you use shock extenders. Since your HD is only slightly lowered, you'll be fine. You can buy the Bilsteins at http://www.eshocks.com for about $65 each with free shipping on an order of 4.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not to throw this off topic, but has anyone compared the KYB shocks to the Bilstiens?
    George

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

I talked to Bilstein this morning about all of this.

He brought up a pretty good point on this.

Since the truck is an inch lower... and there is only so much volume inside the cylinder of the shock... and it is already at that compressed point... by an inch... he felt that the gas in the shock would be compressed some, to start with... and this would provide a slightly more dampened (stiffer) ride from the styleside spec shock.

He also felt that they would be more factory dampened, to be compensating for the extra weight (load) of the HD.

I am getting these (hopefully) on Thursday - and installing them on Friday morning.

I have a pretty long ride for a business meeting Friday... so I will let you know how they feel after that.

I should be able to do a fair analysis. There is an OVER dampened 240Z which has been setup for autocross... that I am familiar with

- and also a C5 coupe... that is factory setup to be good for street use... that I also know fairly well.

I will add to this on Monday... when I get back into the office.

Thanks

Brent

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Brent
    have a safe trip and we'll be waiting on updates.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    THANKS kromdom - I appreciate it !!

Will do... Brent

Got JESUS?
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm guessing the ride will be fine and you'll never notice a thing, except for being more firm and better controlled.

Name:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I also talked to Kevin at Bilstein, and he said the exact same thing to me. He said that using the Lightning shock runs the risk of failure because of the weight of the cab. Granted, most people will probably never have trouble. I know many people have been running them and I've never read of anyone's failing.

But I'll take it from the horse's mouth to use what they designed for a SuperCrew.

I'll be installing mine on Saturday, so I can give some feedback as well. A few of us have shocks to intall and a few bought the Lightning shocks so we'll have some head to head comparisons.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast