Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Filling in supercharger silencer holes!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Filling in supercharger silencer holes!

i just did this on my truck and WOW, what a difference in sound loudness/quality. the blower sounds MEAN AS HE!! now! personally i would suggest this FREE MOD! i also noticed a little gain in boost (a little less than a lb) and the truck seems to pull slightly harder and be more responsive. dont know if this is a ****** thing or what but it sure has me smiling!

Purpose: to make the supercharger LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS!

Tools used to do this:
    1 JB WELD
    1 three sided file
    1 flat head screwdriver
    1 rubber mallet or hammer
    various sockets (8, 10, 13 mm)
    ? beers (optional)

Procedure:
    1. Remove intake
    2. Remove intake plenum and all lines(optional)
    3. Remove supercharger belt with 1/2" breaker bar
    3. Remove all 8 13mm bolts holding supercharger (4 of them have nuts on top as well)
    4. unplug boost bypass vacuum wire
    5. wiggle the supercharger off
    6. spread out a towel
    7. place supercharger on towel with nose of blower facing up
    8. remove 3/16" allen head bolt in front to left of nose
    9. drain supercharger oil into cup or alternative
    10. remove 8(?) 10mm bolts from nose assembly of blower
    11. remove nose assembly by banging lightly with a rubber mallet and pulling on it
    12. position flat head screwdriver in crack between blower case and rotor gear box
    13. pound screwdriver with medium force until the two start to separate. do this again in another spot (both preferably on bottom of blower)
    14. remove rotor assembly.
    15. set blower upside down on towel and clean the inside thoroughly
    16. file the 4 silencer holes in an "X" pattern with the knife-edge of the file
    17. cut two pieces of duct tape approximately 8 inches long and place each piece over 2 holes on each side (running long wise, one piece covering both holes on one side) and run your hand over the tape multiple times to ensure a good contact and seal
    18. mix up some JB WELD, you will need quite a bit
    19. scoop enough JB WELD into each hole to fill it to the brim and maybe even a little more
    20. when each hole is filled, allow to site for 4-6 hours at least, if you can allow it to dry overnight
    21. when it has dried you can start to re-assemble blower
    22. set blower with front facing up and bottom towards you
    23. place rotor assembly back into blower, it is a tight fit so be careful, you may have to spin the rotors a little while doing this (p.s., make sure that the gear with the 3 pins is on the right)
    24. fill the basin back up with the oil you drained earlier, if it gets full, you can pour the rest in later through the hole
    25. place the nose assembly back on and replace all 10mm bolts
    26. tighten the bolts lightly all the way around and then come back around and tighten in cross-sequence until bolts are very tight (for those of you with torque wrenches, i would say about 65 ft/lbs). also you can use sealant if you want that extra protection but i didnt use it and it seems to be just fine.
    27. reinstall supercharger (the back bolt on the passenger side is very hard to get in and you may have to put it through the blower hole and work it into the bolt hole at and angle to clear the firewall) and plug the boost bypass line back in
    28. tighten supercharger down and reinstall intake plenum if removed making sure to reinstall all lines as well
    29. reinstall intake
    30. make sure all wires and hoses are hooked back up properly
    31. reinstall supercharger belt and make sure it is completely on all pulleys
    32. start the truck and go annoy some people with the new loudness of your truck

some people may find it helpful to take a sip of beer between each step, this is perfectly normal and may help pass the time.

if anyone has any other questions on them i can answer them here or pm. ENJOY!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did you take any pics ???

Is it not possible for the jb weld to come loose and be injested into the sc rotors and intake?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the worst that could happen is that they fall out the bottom of the case and sit on top of the intercooler doing absolutely no damage whatsoever. if you look at the bottom of the blower (i will try to find some pics) they can not come into it the way the holes are shaped. also the blower is pushing air away from the rotors and so it would be impossible for it to be sucked into the rotors. many people have filled in their holes, i just thought i would right up a nice little how-to for anyone that needs it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    could a mod maybe move this into the 2000-2003 how to forum, didnt notice it was in this one. if you think it belongs here then you can just leave it, just figured it belonged in the other place.

BLOWN 01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hey hey hey nice sig!!!

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i just did the same thing like 4 days ago and i would have to agree its louder and pulls alot smoother

Nice thread!

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hmmm
    it WOULD be a lot easier to do my plugs if I had the blower off and out of the way....

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yup thinking the same thing Venom. I love the howl of a loud supercharger! Been thinking about this since I got my truck a year ago. Guess I have just been scared.

Anyone had this mod for any considerable amount of time? anu issues so far?

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah, I already get a lot of "holy sh1t" when they hear it screaming with the pulley - fill in the silencer holes and add electric exhaust cutouts -hmmmmmmm

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Now that would be one loud somanabitoch!

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I bet there are some guys over at NLOC have done it a while ago

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    cutouts are on the way - ordered last week, now if I can just get the guts to yank/dismantle the blower......

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by bgstew6
    Now that would be one loud somanabitoch!
    i am running the filled holes with no mufflers and lightning exit tips and it is LOUD! so far so good, truck pulls much smoother, sounds much better and much louder! seriously... anyone planning on doing this mod, it is pretty straight forward and i honestly think it was worth the 12 hours or whatever it was my truck was down (just letting the JB weld dry, you could do it in about 8 i guess, do it overnight though). if you want to changed plugs, the taking the supercharger off will actually save you some time anyways and you could go ahead and do this before you change plugs, let it sit while you change plugs and when your done with the plugs let it dry a little longer and put it back on. im telling you, the sound is UNREAL!

5150 4 Life
    Name: Keith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A sound clip would be cool
    Aloha and be safe
    Keith & Sherry

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Keith,
    You forced me to hijack this thread: where can I see "her" dance???...the skirt looks very familiar

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast