Thread: 04 F250 Wheel Caps

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

04 F250 Wheel Caps

Hey guys I saw the thread about the 05 wheel caps falling off. My 04 has one that I can't seem to get to sit properly. Any tips on how to seat it so is doesn't sound like I'm going to a New Years Eve party (noise maker) Lucky I guess it doesn't fall off but man frustrating to drive by people who look at the cool truck and hear that dreaded sound.............
    2004 Harley F250 Black #1822

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Honestly, the best way to get the 05 caps on is with a rubber mallet. Seat one side and then work your way across the cap with the mallet. I let the tech at the dealership do the first one so if it broke, it was on them. He had to hit the cap pretty freaking hard in the center to get it to seat and I thought it was going to break for sure............but it held up. The mallet left a couple of smudges, but they wiped off easily. The trick is to start on one side and then work your way across the cap. If you hit the bottom and seat it, then hit the top, the bottom will pop out.

Hope this helps---I don't know if the 04 caps are the same as the 05's.

--Snake

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mine's the same way since the dealer installed the locks on my wheels. But it's front passenger cap that's really loose.

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I ended up leaving the locks off of my wheels for just that reason. The caps didn't want to mount right with the locks on

??

Oh well---just have to be careful where I park. I don't know if its the locks that are causing you the problem or not.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK found the issue. It is the tollerance on one of my rims. The center cap snaps in no problem however there is a 1/8 inch of play that lets the caps move (free) as the wheel turns. I made a shim using a piece of hard plastic that so far has solved the problem. I know it is just that one rim because I interchanged all the other caps with no problems. Pretty weird but at least for now doent make a lot of noise :o) ...

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Glad to hear you figured it out. Nothing worse than styling and having the truck make unwanted noise.