Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How - to lower pulley swap

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Laugh

It's easier than you think and you can find deals on used tuners every where.

Fantastic smiles per gallon!

Name: Keith

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Well got mine done today, I pulled the sc, intercooler,plugs (TR6IX), took the sc apart, cleaned off the teflon,cleaned the intercooler,removed upper plenum, cleaned TB, and plenum, put it all back together, (man the bracket on the drivers side is a pain in the arse to work around), started her up, let her run a bit, then pulled out the ramps, locked the trans, and believe it or not I got the caged pulley off with a 3/8 ratchet wrench and socket on the 14mm hex, just pushed on it with my foot and BAM, came right off. Now this is where the trouble started, all i had was a allen wrench to install the 3 allen bolts, and of course after much PB Blaster, I finally go them in ,very tight turning with a little bitty wrench) I'll get a socket hex key and remove the hub this weekend,(since it wobbles a tad too),but man it's done finally!!!!!! OH and whoever designed where the plugs go in this thing needs a good swift kick, LOL Took me 2 days total.

"I WANNA GO FAST"
    Name: Ajay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3653 Owner View Post
    Well got mine done today, I pulled the sc, intercooler,plugs (TR6IX), took the sc apart, cleaned off the teflon,cleaned the intercooler,removed upper plenum, cleaned TB, and plenum, put it all back together, (man the bracket on the drivers side is a pain in the arse to work around), started her up, let her run a bit, then pulled out the ramps, locked the trans, and believe it or not I got the caged pulley off with a 3/8 ratchet wrench and socket on the 14mm hex, just pushed on it with my foot and BAM, came right off. Now this is where the trouble started, all i had was a allen wrench to install the 3 allen bolts, and of course after much PB Blaster, I finally go them in ,very tight turning with a little bitty wrench) I'll get a socket hex key and remove the hub this weekend,(since it wobbles a tad too),but man it's done finally!!!!!! OH and whoever designed where the plugs go in this thing needs a good swift kick, LOL Took me 2 days total.
    The lower pulley can suck, glad it worked for ya, and two days?! Did you undo the fuel rails?

2002 DSG Nicknamed "Haley the Harley Truck"
    2013 TOTM Moderator

Name: Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know I'm digging this up, but why is everyone stripping the Teflon?

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Rich108 View Post
    I know I'm digging this up, but why is everyone stripping the Teflon?
    not everyone...only if the teflon coating is failing. If you take the supercharger apart and see flakes of what looks like grey paint covering all over the intercooler plate...that means the teflon coating on the rotors has failed and you should strip the rest off so that doesn't continue to happen. Clogged intercooler means less power!

Name: Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is it recommended to strip it if the Teflon is not flaking off as a preventative?

Word
    Name: Kevin

Liked 63 Times in 58 Posts
    if it's good leave it, it serves a purpose (better sealing = more power)

Mobbin around the NW
    Name: Derek

Liked 114 Times in 84 Posts
    No if its in good shape, leave it. It creates tighter (proper) tolerance between the rotors and case. If it gets to where its flaking off, then its best to just take it all off at that point. This is the reason folks running the Magnum Powers case like to use Cobra rotors; because they have a different coating that doesnt flake off, and allows for the proper tolerance in the case.

decipha
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    figured this would be relevant

I just recently pulled the engine out of my 02 and had to get the stubborn crank sc pulley off, I already had the flexplate off when I got around to removing the pulleys so I guess I was bass-ackwards and not thinking ahead, 160k and crank sc pulley has never been removed

in any case, if you take the blower belt and route it over the pulley and through the tensioner back around to the bottom studs of the timing cover the crank sc pulley will come off rather easily. Otherwise, good luck, even my super heavy duty impact had no affect on my stubborn sc pulley adapter

btw, I was told by a fellow hd'er that the adapter end likes to break off if you don't have the pulley screwed on it to give it some encapsulating support

here's a pic to give you a visual

http://forum.efidynotuning.com/downl...le.php?id=4883
    Last edited by decipha; 08-25-2016 at 06:15 AM. Reason: *crank sc pulley

I <3 Mini trucks
    Name:

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    Linky doesn't work. Upload to photobucket or imgur

Name: Preston

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i have a question about this that has probably been covered somewhere on here but i live in a small town in s/w kansas and there are no speed shops in my area.. im pretty new to the whole tuning thing and im wondering if i swap to a 6# pulley is there a tuner i can buy that would have a tune on it to get me by untill im able to get to a speed shop? i just bought the truck a few weeks ago and it came with a (sct) tuner in the glovebox that the original owner used to turn off the egr and rear 02 sensors so there wont be a check engine light.. (egr and cats are removed) any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2