Thread: How - to lower pulley swap

Threaded View

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How - to lower pulley swap

It's been awhile so I figured I'd dig this up and repost it for the new guys - sum1 wanna make it a sticky?
    originally posted here
    http://www.nhtoc.net/vbforum/showthr...&threadid=9589

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's a how to on pulley swapping. I'm going from memory, but it's really an easy project anyway.

the only hard part is breaking the stock pulley adapter loose - 100+ ft lbs of torque holding that puppy on! Plus you need the 14mm/9/16" allen head to turn it.

It's really all straightforward, but definitely do everything but taking the belt off from underneath.
    Pull the one 10mm bolt that holds the intercooler res. on and lift it up and set it to the side to make belt access easier - not req. but it's only 1 bolt and it does make removing/installing the belt easier.

Once you get the stock unit off, everything is cake. I've done mine a couple of times and I can swap pulleys in about 15-20 min on jack stands!
    -------------------------------------

Step-by-step going from memory

before you jack the truck up
    pull the ground off the battery - not req. but a good idea
    pull the 10mm bolt and set the intercooler res out of the way
    using a 1/2" breaker bar in the tensioner, relax the tension on the SC belt and take it off

jack the truck up and put your stands under it
    remove the flywheel inspection cover - 2 15mm bolts I think
    install the strap from a torque converter bolt to one of the inspection cover bolts
    take the 3 bolts out that hold the pulley cage on, one has a nut holding a power steering hose protector on it.
    Using the 14mm/9/16" allen adapter on a GOOD 1/2" breaker bar, loosen the pulley adapter - it's left handed threads so turn it clockwise to remove it - it's REALLY TIGHT so be prepared to brace your feet on the opposite wheel and pull HARD.
    Once it breaks loose, unscrew it and you have the pulley/cage assembly off.
    Put the new pulley hub on, use some blue locktight on the 3 allen head bolts - mine were 8mm heads and my 8mm allen socket was too big of diameter- it kept binding against the outside of the hub so I picked up another one. Torque those 3 bolts to 40 ft/lbs.
    If you have a 1 -piece pulley, you're done with it, if you have a 2 piece interchagable then put the ring on and locktight those bolts - I think they're 40 ft lbs too.
    Put the original cage bolt back in that held the wire protector for the power steering hose.

VERY IMPORTANT - REMOVE THE ENGINE LOCK STRAP!
    put your inspection cover back on
    double check all your bolts
    drop the truck back down
    install the new belt
    put the intercooler res back in place and put the bolt back in- just snug it down
    replace your batt terminal

reflash your computer/install your chip

buy lots of tires.

I think that's it
    chime in if I missed anything guys!

-V
    Last edited by Venom; 12-03-2005 at 09:02 PM.
    '03 HD Solid Black - Gone but never forgotten.
    '07 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon