Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: REED SWITCH/Rear Window Switch

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by hd898
    To fix that problem you will have to diode isolate all four door triggers from the BCM (Body Control Module). Then you have to diode isolate all four door triggers from the BCM. In other words you have to find all 4 door trigger wires cut them and put a diode in the wire (4 diodes). Then you need to attach 4 wires (with a diode on each, 4 more diodes) to these trigger wires but you have to attach them after the diode from the BCM. Then you connect all four wires to your alarm trigger input. This might not make sense to you but it should to your installer lol!
    Hope this helps you!
    Yep, that is what the tech sheet had on it. Both my installer and I were both happy when we ran the test for the sleep mode and it was already disabled.

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i talked to the installer tonight he said he needs to put a relay in. Does that sound right ? I guess its the same as a diode?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    NO a relay is not the same as a diode & does not function anything like a diode...

Mark... trust us on this one... this is an "easy" fix... diode isolate each door pinswitch at the pinswitch... if the installer gives you any greif, guff, or attitude... get a manager or another shop/installer... YES it sucks to do the work... that's why he might fight you... BUT it is the RIGHT way to do the install.

Rob W

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cool thanks how does a diode funtction compared to a relay?

ill tell him tomorrow

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A diode allows current to flow in one direction , current will not flow back thru a diode . A relay is basically a switch that uses positive or negative current to open or complete a curcuit . IE:
    A relay takes negative pulse from the alarm and sends a positive current to lock and unlock your doors ( some locks are 3 wire some are 5 wire... ( imports are neg trigger)Thats a different lesson) Also that same relay wired different can brake a curcuit as in ignition kills .

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I mean... technically a relay could be wired to act like a diode or a one-way valve.. but it would draw current while in "cut mode" & would be a silly waste of time, energy, & relays.... not to mention space.

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The reason the last time you arm it and it doesn't happen is because it's already in sleep mode..Thats why it is also showing the door open..mine is doing the same thing right now they are going to install the diodes..just gotta get down there for them to do it..

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks guys does anyone have any pics of reed switches installed?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here are some pics of mine. I installed it myself only took about an hour. The hardest part was digging out the brain to hook the wire up.

I used an old piece from a radio install kit to mount the wired part of the switch and mounted that to an existing bolt in the truck.
    It is a DEI 8600 magnetic switch.
    Last edited by StevenMac; 06-05-2005 at 08:37 PM.

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks!

BRNG IT
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you don't have to diode isolate the doors if you go to the correct wire.
    most installers know that ford is always black /blue strip for a positive input. But the correct wire that will avoid the power saver circuit is in the passenger kick panel! works everytime.
    www.expertcaraudio.com

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cool thanks alot..But ..i'm having this problem on a 02 Ranger ..Is there a different spot for them?

BRNG IT
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    same location on trucks and suv's
    if there is a problem with the battery saver, both negative inputs also come into the kick panels. Any GOOD installer should know about these problems starting from 1997.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Installed my system about a year and half ago. Disabled sleep mode then. Want to enable "sleep". What type/size/etc of diodes need to be installed? Where are they installed? ... soldered in-line as close to the door pin as possible? Rob W, sent you a PM ... could really use your advice/guidance/expertise.
    aka LeeRandall - NHTOC #25

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Never got around to doing this but would like to. Anyone with some guidance?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast