Thread: Oakley Military Sales

jpanchalk
    Name:

Oakley Military Sales

Just in case some of you weren't aware, Oakley provides active duty military personnel with eye protection, boots, and bags for %50 of retail. All products - except bags - conform to Army Regulation 670-1 (and Dept. of Navy equivalent) and sunglasses exceed specs for frag protection.

You can call Oakley Government sales to get order forms fax'd or e-mailed to you, or shoot me a request to john.panchalk@us.army.mil and I'll forward all the documents in one batch.

The only lenses available are black iridium, smoke, clear, amber, and some funky dark brown (VR-50(?) that are much better than yellow for shooting applications. I've supplied my entire company with them, because Lord knows you can't kill the enemy in close combat if you look and feel dorky

But seriously - the boots suck. 3 of us tried them on, and could not wear them for more than 2 hours because of the intense pain in 3 different areas where all the stitching meets up. They are very good quality, but suck in terms of comfort. Bellvilles and Bates Durashocks (hell, even issue boots with good insoles) are more comfortable, right out of the box. How the SF guys are running around in them baffles us. It can only be the cool-guy factor.

Hope this helps some guys out.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the TIP!!! Have read somewhere that WILEY X was also hugely popular, specially for it's "shatter proof" qualities

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i got a free pair of wiley x last year in iraq, they are pretty good. if i need some oakleys before i go i will holla at you.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    does that mean you guys can get cheap oakley shades?

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by BlairTruck
    does that mean you guys can get cheap oakley shades?
    50% off regular retail from reading jpanchalk's post above

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Got issued a pair of WIleys and some other type on my first trip over. Not bad shades, but I have always have been an Oakley fan ever since I bought my first pair way back in 89 or was it 88. Sheesh!

jpanchalk
    Name:

Correct - 50% off, but by purchasing through a government agreement one would be committing a crime by reselling them to the public.

In other words, to ask someone publicly to buy them for you wouldn't be the wisest thing to do.

(EDIT): Blair - when you said "does that mean YOU can get them..." I may have read into it too much, and took it to mean you were a civi. I know you have an affilliation, but I was never sure of your status.

Governments sales reps will also ask for unit name and addy, so be careful if trying to bluff. You can purchase with a personal credit card, but the stipulation is that you are military.

Romeo - we were running around in the Wiley X SG-1s last time, but regardless of the advertising, they fog up bad. They are shatter proof, but so are the lenses from Oakley and ESS (best desert goggles IMO). The SG-1 head strap is nice, and they keep sand out perfectly. But so what if you have sweat in your eyes and can't see. The Roamer 2s are good for people with prescriptions, since Wiley X has those lenses that darken outside and lighten inside, but they are still over 1,000 bucks for the whole set of 3 different lens shades, removable ear stems, straps, case, etc. And they are more like regular glasses because they don't seal to your eyes like the SG-1s.

Anyhow, stuff like that should be a CONOPS or unit purchase. Think of it as a gift from the taxpayers, or a return on your taxes. Soldiers/sailors/airmen shouldn't be paying out-of-pocket for anything duty-related.
    Last edited by jpanchalk; 07-10-2005 at 01:31 AM.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anyhow, stuff like that should be a CONOPS or unit purchase. Think of it as a gift from the taxpayers, or a return on your taxes. Soldiers/sailors/airmen shouldn't be paying out-of-pocket for anything duty-related.
    ding, ding, ding, ding! but shhhhhhh

jpanchalk
    Name:

Originally posted by kromdom
    .... but shhhhhhh
    Not sure how other branches work it, but in the Army, once a unit has received it's deployment orders (not guard/reserve mobilization orders, but the actual DEPORD), another pot of money opens up for them, and they can purchase whatever the CDR, 1SG, and NCOs can justify on paper. Once the S-4 and XO approve, they can order it on the gov. Visa card. The unit's annual budget is not affected. If a command team is smart, they projected the deployment and waited to purchase other operational and training related items, so that they can use the regular unit funds to purchase morale/welfare type items like a 52 inch plasma HDTV for the day room/lounge. Now THAT is a big SHHHHHHHHH

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by jpanchalk
    Not sure how other branches work it, but in the Army, once a unit has received it's deployment orders (not guard/reserve mobilization orders, but the actual DEPORD), another pot of money opens up for them, and they can purchase whatever the CDR, 1SG, and NCOs can justify on paper. Once the S-4 and XO approve, they can order it on the gov. Visa card. The unit's annual budget is not affected. If a command team is smart, they projected the deployment and waited to purchase other operational and training related items, so that they can use the regular unit funds to purchase morale/welfare type items like a 52 inch plasma HDTV for the day room/lounge. Now THAT is a big SHHHHHHHHH
    You guys deserve a 1500" plasma HDTV as far as i'm concerned. Again, thx for going over there and risking your life on a daily basis for us my brother. <salute>
    JLP shortblock, Stage 3 heads and cams, 2.3 Whipple w/3" upper and 4# lower.Ba2800, Accufab, Pacesetter LT's, 60#inj, twin 255's, LFP efan, PI 2600 stall, Detroit Locker Tru-Trac, 58" LFP Tbars, Bilsteins all around, D.M.R. panhard, MT DR's. 564/598 on 15# boost