Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: where to buy an alternator

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ok I *think* I got it fixed finally.
    Changing the plug on the truck didn't help. Still was flaky, but I could mash on the plug and get it to kick in and out. Took both alternators to the alt shop and he checked them and said both were healthy and strong. Then he said something about on some newer cars and trucks the keyed wire to the alt runs through the comp and the brain will override and shut down charging at times to take the parasitic drag off, like at WOT and during starting, but he didn't know if these trucks were like that or not, so he thought it might be the comp.
    I was gonna run a wire straight to the batt and run the other to an ignition switched source and check his theory, but it didn't quite jive with me cuz I could mash the plug and make things change. So I still suspected the regulator on the PA perf unit was losing contact somewhere intermittantly when it got hot.
    I swapped out the regulator from the stocker and put it into the PA unit and everything seems solid. I let it idle for about 45 min with the AC, hi beams and stereo cranked and it never dropped and have made a couple of drives with no wavering yet, so I think it may be fixed this time.

Looks like i did have a combination of the busticated starter solenoid making my stocker look flaky and then getting a defective unit from PA perf.

My plane leaves for Abilene here in about 4 hours so I won't be able to beat on it for the next week. But I'm pretty sure it's ok now.
    I HOPE I can close the book on this one!

Thanks for all the ideas and thought you guys have put into this with me (Esp. you Rob!)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    travel safe..letus know what happens when you get home..

Rob W

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5